Saturday 10 December 2022

Ooops! Another Tip and Advent Day 10

 

hello friends!

Temperatures continue to plunge us into the blue on the weather map and we continue to shiver while trying to save money. One way I have used to economise for a long time is pre soaking my pasta. the only thing you have to make sure you do is to plan in advance. So if you're having pasta for tea at night then you start this off in the morning. It's simple all you need to do is measure out the amount of pasta you're going to need put it into a saucepan and cover it with cold water put a lid on it and leave it until you're ready to cook  The longer you leave it the less time it needs to cook, so that's a minimum of 6 to 8 hours. You have to do a bit of trial and error depending on the brand and type of pasta you are using but all you have to do next when you're ready to cook your pasta dish is put the saucepan on the heat, bring to the boil and simply cook until the pasta is done to your liking. Alternatively, depending on how well soaked your pasta is, if you're doing a pasta bake in the oven you can simply drain it off Add all your ingredients and put it into the oven to finish off without cooking the pasta on stove top any further. It's not going to save you enough for your next holiday abroad, but when we're all looking to pinch the pennies as they say in one major supermarket every little helps.

Today's Advent calendar door ticks all the boxes for me. I hope it does the same for you it's my favourite one so far.  I love the mushrooms on the door, I do have a thing about mushroom illustrations. But then when I opened it, there was a sharp intake of breath! Let me know what you think.




Now for the oops! Yesterday I said we'd finished with the Mary Engelbreit books, however I found one more while I was looking at my bookcases. I think you will like it, possibly a lot. it is called “ Words for Gardeners to Live By” And it is an utter delight! Truth be told, it was a struggle to select the images!








Until next time
Stay safe, stay well, stay warm
Debbie xo

5 comments:

  1. That's a good tip for pasta, thanks. Love the calndxar door and the gorgeous fox inside. Have a great weekend, keep warm, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant tip re the pasta - thank you :) The calendar door is beautiful and such a lovely fox inside. Keep warm and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, that's a tip I've never heard before, Deb. You are right, every little bit helps and certainly adds up.
    The mushroom door was a delightful one for the sleeping fox--so sweet.
    I'm not familiar with ME's garden book. What a beauty! You have quite a nice collection.
    Sending warm thoughts and wishing you sun beams through your windows. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am with you in every way, Deb. The mushrooms are wonderful. I think they are so well detailed. But the fox, oh how gorgeous to see it sleeping away. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great tip on the pasta. I love today's advent calendar -- especially the fox!

    ReplyDelete