Tuesday 13 December 2022

Edith Holden and Advent Day 13

hello friends!

First I have to apologise to many of you as you have been in touch both here in the comments and privately saying that the link I  provided yesterday did not work. I don't know what the problem is and I can't do anything about it it's one of those little foibles of Blogger. Some of you have said the links are leading you on to other blogs, some of you have said they just don't work, and in my case when I click on them they're taking me back to draughts of other blogs that I haven't published yet. All I can reiterate is that it's not my fault it's obviously something with Blogger so consequently I won't be sharing anymore links.

Here are the pictures from today's Advent calendar.




and here is a picture that I have taken after scouring the image for any clues as to the purpose of the key we found the other day. And here it is, a key very well hidden in the foliage and branches of the image. It's got to be for something hasn't it? Curiouser are and curiouser.



I think most of not all of you will be familiar with the work of Edith Holden, the famous illustrator of several books, most notably the  Edwardian Lady Country Diary books published in the 1980s which propelled her to new found fame. She met a tragic end at the age of 49 in 1920, when she fell into the River Thames at Kew while gathering buds from chestnut trees. Her name lives on in her lovely magical gentle works that record nature, both flora and fauna.

I recently came across this little children’s book called The Hedgehog Feast which is illustrated by her, And written by Rowena Stott. I hope you enjoy the couple of images I have selected from it.







Until next time

Stay well, stay safe, stay warm

Debbie xo


12 comments:

  1. And the mystery keeps deepening. Lovely little hare, but does it have anything to do with the key? Hmmm...

    The hedge hogs are adorable, such a talented illustrator. She was lost so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hunch about the key, but I'm not going to say anything. I don't want to spoil it for anyone in case I'm wrong.

      Delete
  2. Love the bunny (hare?). Quick hug today, I'm catching up everwhere, Valedrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do sound in a rush today. I feel like that most days now, catching up.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure I had that for my girls, but down the years it doubtless got passed on at a car boot sale or to a charity shop. Her illustrations were so good and her knowledge of the countryside shines through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustrations are beautiful. And her knowledge of the countryside was extensive. To think she was around the same time as Beatrix Potter. Now I'm going to have to go to my books and check my dates and do lots of comparisons.

      Delete
  4. Your advent calendar is a real delight. Big fan of Edith Holden here, but I had no idea about her tragic death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, she was taken far too soon for a woman of such talents. One always wonders what are the delights she would have furnished us with. Her illustrations are certainly beautiful.

      Delete
  5. Ooh! Another key :) It is such a lovely Advent Calendar. Thanks for explaining about the link - as you say obviously a blogger problem but I am pleased it wasn't just me having problems.
    I just love Edith Holden and her books. I have the Hedgehog book somewhere as I spotted it in a second hand bookshop. Her books and diaries and illustrations are just delightful. I still regularly dip into them especially when in areas where she visited or lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's strange how everybody seems to have had different problems with it though. I must confess I'm quite envious that you have visited the areas where she lived.

      Delete
  6. I love those bunnies and I love Holden's work. I saw a jigsaw puzzle series of the seasons with Country Diary art. I might go back and get it after Christmas. It's too complicated to explain what it is and where it is to suggest to Rick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the plot thickens with the key! I have some ideas as well, but will keep them to myself. Edith Holden's work is superb! Such darling illustrations in the Hedgehog book. Seeing one in person would thrill me to pieces. xoxo

    ReplyDelete