Thursday 22 December 2022

No Eggs for Christmas and Advent Day 22

Hello friends!

The weather is dreich and dreary here today.  The weather forecast describes it as a moderate breeze and light rain. Tomorrow that changes to strong winds and heavy rain, thereafter the following few days are back to a moderate breeze and light rain.  It's not as cold today but temperatures are going to start dropping again after the weekend.

Well it's going to be an interesting Christmas without eggs! Fortunately I've held six back and they're still in date which is good because I need two eggs to make my nut roast for Christmas Day and I will need two more eggs to make a small quiche during the week which leaves me two eggs to have scrambled on bagels for Christmas morning and Boxing Day breakfasts. Really speaking I need at least another half dozen but everywhere is out of them. It is ridiculous and even more stupid than the panic buying over toilet rolls at the start of the pandemic because it's not as if you can store fresh eggs indefinitely is it? Yet people have still been panic buying which is not fair on the rest of us when there is a known supply issue probably due to the avian flu.

Here is today's door and picture. Only two more doors to open now.




 


Until next time

Stay safe, stay well, stay warm

Debbie xo

12 comments:

  1. A lovely little squirrel and so sorry you are low on eggs :( I only have a dozen and have ordered 6 more (should really have ordered 12!) if they come. As you say panic buying is SO silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Gosh, I hope you get your eggs. I know how much baking you get through. Egg substitute is available. If I'm honest, I wouldn't know where to start with that, or even if it would set in a quiche. Good luck with your order.

      Delete
  2. I like the squirrel - must be almost every wild creature now
    Very odd about the egg shortage, here we are in the middle of the worst of the avian flu area, lots of culls and restrictions yet there are still plenty of eggs for sale on roadside stalls where I get mine - no idea about supermarkets though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I think we've got almost everything on this calendar now. It's pretty bad with avian flu around here, especially in the wild bird population, it's been absolutely heart breaking to see the dead Gannetts washed up on the beaches. I'm sure there are eggs to be found, it's just that I'm not able to get out and about. And all my delivery sources have let me down. Frankly, I'm dreading tomorrow's delivery. Thank goodness I've bought most of my food well in advance.

      Delete
  3. We still are able to get eggs without too much trouble...but oh the price. My body is not a fan of eggs anyways, so I am fine, but Tom does love his eggs. I do hope you are able to get more eggs soon.

    Lovely little squirrel. Such a wonderful woodland calendar. But I am still pondering the key...well, actually two keys on the calendar. Right?

    And you are SOOOOO much more than a pretty face, my dear friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through phases with eggs, my friend. Some days I can eat too. At the times they turn on me and I can't even look at them. It's weird. However, when you need them for baking as they are an integral part of two of my Christmas recipes. It's going to be a little bit tricksy, I'm sure.
      I think the two keys it's two images of the same key, so it's just one key.
      Re: my face, lol! xoxo

      Delete
  4. No problem with eggs round here. I even saw a chap leaving the Butchers with an entire tray full earlier in the week. Sorry you will soon be eggless. I bought another dozen in Tescopolis yesterday, and used 4 of the older eggs for baking today. Should be enough for baking/breakfasts I hope.

    The squirrel is sweet. You will miss having little doors to open very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's different from place to place, the local Morrisons has been rationing eggs for over a week now. Tesco's is completely out, or at least they are online, which is how I shop. I'm hoping the local telly may have some tomorrow afternoon when I go up. Fingers crossed anyway, because I don't want to be scrimping on eggs. Mind, it does show how much we take for granted, doesn't it?
      To be honest, I've been feeling so rough this last week. While I might miss opening the doors and having the little picture everyday, I'm certainly not going to miss the commitment of writing about it. Only a couple more to go and it'll be done. Then I can take a break.

      Delete
  5. No eggs? That's strange. Here they have just got much dearer, like everything else! Have a great evening, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange but true. We were warned back in the spring that we could face a shortage of eggs during the autumn. But we seem to get through it. However, it's kicked in now. Have a lovely day, Valerie. Hugs Deb.

      Delete
  6. I've been making mini quiches too which are now in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use more eggs at Christmas than at any other time, given the holiday baking and then just regular egg dishes. But you're right about hoarding. They don't keep forever.

    ReplyDelete