Saturday 3 December 2022

Keeping Warm and Advent Day 3

 Hello friends!

It's a cold and frosty morning here today and it's already December the 3rd! How did that happen?

This morning’s door is hidden behind bare twigs and today's picture is a beautiful golden star.



Here is an extra picture off the calendar, because the dear little Robin doesn't have a door behind him and he's just too sweet not to share.

 


I've pushed the boat out and turned the heating on for an hour but am now dressed in extra layers with a long sleeve thermal shirt and fleecy leggings. I'm glad I kept my leg warmers too! They might be old but around the house they do for an extra layer of helping to keep us warm.  It's now barely 16C in my living room at 8:00 AM and the minimum recommended temperature for health and well-being is 18C. Hot tea is always on the go now.  To minimise on the fuel costs I have one of those tea lights warmers that you see on the table in Chinese restaurants. I have a bag of 50 Prices 8 hour tea lights and I light one and keep my teapot full of hot tea on it. I don't pour out a full mug of tea because it gets cold so quickly and the table warmer keeps she good and hot in the pot so I just take what I need when I need it. It also means I only get to boil the kettle once saving even more. It might be pennies but the pennies soon mount up don't they?



Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Debbie xo

14 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, it's winter and it's cold! I only put the heating on for an hour or 2 in the evening, apart from that, layers of warm clothes and lots of hot drinks! I haven't got an advent calendar this year so can'T open pretty pictures, your robin in gorgeous! When I visit my friend we sit in her kitchen and it's warm and comfy there, so today we had a late breakfast / early lunch with lots of peppermint tea to wash it down! Have a good weekend, keep warm! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. It does sound as if you and your friend are sharing the heat and the warmth with a cosy visit each day, we've all got to do what we can do now. Don't forget to pop in everyday as I'll be sharing the Advent calendar so you can share mine as you haven't got your own. Have a great weekend, hugs Deb.

      Delete
  2. Love the look of that little book - not anything I know - I shall investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, it's by Mary Engelbreit. I find mine on the imported secondary market on Amazon. She's an American writer and illustrator. She does really beautiful, very detailed work. I'm sure you will love her if you can find some of her books. This one is part of a Four Seasons series.

      Delete
  3. It's a bit of a sorry state we have come to isn't it. That's what comes of decimating our fuel industries and relying on other countries to keep us supplied. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Yes, we're in a pickle for sure. Hope you and Martyn are keeping warm.

      Delete
  4. Some sensible ideas in our post about keeping warm (and keeping the teapot warm too). Because of Keith's health we have to have the heating on (though I try to stagger it in sessions). We were out this morning/early afternoon though so had to put it on the minute we got in and it's still on now for bathtime. I am enjoying your advent calendar too - that wee robin is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bovey Belle. It's not easy, is it? If I get too cold my asthma kicks up a gear, and since my other diagnosis, I don't seem to be able to regulate my body temperature as I should. It's keeping things safely warm yet affordable.

      Delete
  5. Goodness, Deb that is cold for your home! I'm glad you are layering up with extra clothing. I have one of those candle warmers for my teapot. Thank you for reminding me as it is in the back of my cabinet. That's great you get 8 hours from yours! The darling Advent calendar certainly has lovely art. Stay safe and well, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. The 8 hour tea lights are not easy to find, but 12 hour ones are also available! Make use of that tea pot warmer! Have a lovely weekend xoxo

      Delete
  6. I love the gold stars and the robin. It has suddenly gone really really cold and you have some good ideas for keeping warm. So difficult to keep putting heating on non stop with the price of gas sadly. Stay warm and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Yes, and as we know, colder weather to come next week!

      Delete
  7. Pennies DO mount up. And you're so right about the tea cooling too quickly. I hope things work out OK for you as winter moves in. And that it's not a brutal winter this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stars are pretty, but oh how adorable the robin is.
    Stay warm and take care~

    ReplyDelete