Monday 19 December 2022

Advent Catch up and Mary Poppins

Hello friends!

Our weather is abysmal.  Torrential rain and 60mph winds. 

sorry for the gaps in posting the calendar, I'm afraid I'm not very well at the moment, my energy levels have absolutely plummeted and even the thought of editing the wording for the blog just drains me.

I apologise for what happened in the last blog. I inadvertently shared a piece of text that I was working on for a future blog and some of you have already seen it and commented on it. This is what happens when you're dictating into Word then doing copy and paste and my tremors often mean I make quite a few mistakes and as you will have noticed a photo got shared twice as well. Such is the life of someone with this dreadful disease.  As I am discovering it's a lot more than just tremors in my hands.

I'm doing three days today 17, 18 and 19. also I think I might have mentioned I found a surplus door without a number on it. That is the first photograph. I will open it on the 25th. I wonder if it has anything to do with the key?
















A dear friend has bought me a copy of the Radio Times Christmas edition which this year is now a phenomenal £5.25. It is getting absurd in price now, however Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without this ongoing tradition! I haven't read it yet I have the delights of discovering what poor programming we're going to have this year to come.  Unfortunately the free channels don't have very good programming these days everything new and good seems to be on Netflix and Amazon prime and other similar paid for services. I simply cannot afford them.  I was very pleased though yesterday evening to see the 3rd and final series of Philip Pullman's “His Dark Materials” has commenced on BBC One Sunday evenings. I enjoyed the books immensely although I would argue that they are not what I would consider to be children’s books. The subject is quite dark and quite deep. Then again, during The Culture Show: The Secret Life of Mary Poppins, about P.L. Travers yesterday afternoon the brilliant Victoria Coren Mitchell stated that all good children's books have a dark side to them, including fairy tales.  I highly recommend you watch it if you like Mary Poppins.

On that note I shall sign off today, so 

Until next time

Stay well, stay safe, stay warm

Debbie xo

 

 

 



10 comments:

  1. Even if you pay for Sky and start watching a series, the said series is bumped to another channel that you have to pay extra for. They will fleece you one way or another. Don't worry about mistakes, I make them all the time due to my eye troubles, Then again with some mistakes I have no excuse whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sue. Yes, television used to be such a simple thing, didn't it? Now even on the "free" channels I feel very often our license payers money is wasted. I mostly have the television on in the evenings now for company, not for entertainment.

      Delete
  2. So sorry about the awful weather and you not feeling well. Don't worry about mistakes I am always posting photos twice etc!
    Lovely to see the butterfly, moth and ladybird :)
    I enjoyed "His Dark Materials" too last night. But as you say it is all quite dark. My son read it when he was a teenager and we went to a book signing where Philip Pullman spoke before signing books when the books first came out. I remember it was a heck of a rush as my daughter's riding lesson in the country finished at 5.00 and we had to get to Birmingham City Centre, park and get to WAterstones for 6.00! I have never driven so fast in my life!
    Take care Debbie and look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. Yes, I agree. It's lovely to see the butterfly, the moth, and the ladybird. Almost sounds like a title for a book, doesn't it? Well, that was a heck of a drive for you. at least you got the end result of his signature.

      Delete
  3. Hi Deb, hope you soon feel better. I know what it's like to be shakng all the time. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. It's a case of good days, bad days. Right now I seem to be having a string of bad days. I over did things last week trying to get some stuff ready for Christmas and this is the price I pay. Oh well. Hugs. Deb.

      Delete
  4. Oh Deb, I'm so sorry that you are feeling poorly. I wonder if the cold temperatures are adverse to you. I do pray that you will be feeling better soon!
    The butterflies and lady bug are sweet additions to your calendar.
    I am so over television. Our programs are not worth watching except a few, very few shows. Grayden copies our favorites and when we wish we see them. The Mary Poppins show sounds interesting. I haven't noticed whether it will be shown here. Honestly if it were up to me we would cancel cablevision.
    Stay as warm as you can, my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. No, not the weather, I've been overdoing things, I really should know better by now.
      Having looked at the scheduling for holiday television, prepare for a bit of a rant tomorrow! The PL Travers programme was an eye opener. xoxo

      Delete
  5. I hope you recover soon, my friend. It is so hard to pace ourselves and not overdo. Add in a debilitating disease and it doubles how hard everything is. I hope it's all smooth sailing through the Christmas Season now for you. I know you got your goodies to eat. There is nothing like comfort food and comfort snacks. ;-)

    Pretty pictures from the calendar. And you are right, "Butterfly, Moth and Lady Bug" does sound like a title of a good book. lol Maybe you will write it. Add in Treasure and it will be great.
    Take care and stay warm.
    Love and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. I agree. These days, my mind is willing the body is not. I go into mental overdrive with all the jobs I need to do. Jobs that used to take me half a morning now take me 2 days or more. And I pay the price.
      Stay safe and warm. xoxo

      Delete