Sunday 11 December 2022

Old Bear and Friends, Layering Up, and Advent Day 11

Hello friends!

I have to confess I am really struggling in this cold snap. Not because of the heating {yes, naturally I am very worried about the escalating costs of fuel and heating my home and keeping myself warm enough to keep well} but because of my inability now to get out and about in this crisp dry cold weather which I love so much. Before I developed this disease, I thrived in this kind of weather. Living in Iceland for four years taught me how to layer up for warmth, and if I were well enough I would be wrapped up warmly and traipsing out along the highways and byways near my home looking for those cold weather photographs.  These days it is so cold even inside that I am layered up well enough to walk outside. I'm wearing fingerless gloves, hat, and scarf indoors. I know I'm not the only one doing this.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but keeping your head, feet, and hands warm is one of the most important things you can do during this cold time of year. I don't always wear a hat but I do now wear one of those knitted headbands almost all day at home.  I've invested in a pair of new slippers that are booty style so come up over my ankles.  The colder it gets the thicker the socks I wear, and cuff them around my ankles.  If it gets very cold I layer up with leg warmers too. It's paid to hang on to those reminders from the aerobic classes of the 1980s!!! I also wear elbow length fingerless mittens, or fingerless gloves. If it's not convenient to wear those then I do switch to wristwarmers. Stuffing those gaps around your wrists and your ankles stops cold air traversing your arms and legs thereby helping to keep you warm without adding too much bulk.  Think of it like stuffing paper in gaps in the woodwork!

Well, I could not be more surprised with today's Advent calendar reveal.  What say you? Suddenly, I wonder where this is leading?



Today I'm going to share one of my favourite children's illustrators with whom I know many of you are already familiar, and that is Jane Hissey and her very famous and utterly adorable Old Bear and Friends.  The quality of how she captures and illustrates the fur and fabrics holds me in awe.







Here is the story brought to life Old Bear.

and here you can read about the day Treasure Bear got his very own copy!

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well, stay warm
Debbie xo


12 comments:

  1. Love the Old Bear stories and illustrations. A key today - I wonder what it opens?. I am always well wrapped up at home, too. Keep warm, have a great Sunday! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Valerie. Yes, I wonder where this story is leading? Have a great weekend. What's left of it! Deb

      Delete
  2. I can remember reading the Old Bear stories to my 3. Beautiful illustrations and so talented an artist. There are a couple I follow on my Facebook page, and they can make animals come alive - their eyes, coat etc just so good.

    Keep warm. Some good tips. I have left our shutters across the window day and night now (and curtains pulled across too). I was actually too hot in bed last night, so brushed cotton bedding really does work! Do you have a quilt or a sleeping bag to snuggle into when you're sat down?

    Oooh, a key beneath the door this time . . . shades of The Secret Garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bovey Belle. I agree brushed cotton does work immensely well. I've been using it for the winter months for years now, since 1990. I use cotton quilts mostly in the evening, but recently bought myself one of those ginormously oversized hoodies. I look like a pink version of Uncle Fester, but it does the job.

      Delete
  3. Ooh! - a key!! Exciting :) What a lovely Advent Calendar. I wear hats these days and fingerless gloves when I am using the camera plus a scarf. Wearing a hat I find really makes a difference.

    I love Old Bear - I think I have some of those books left from when the children were little. My daughter in particular really loved the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. I'm wondering what that key is all about. Is it going to take us in some new direction and there's a story going to unfold in the next 12 days?

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard about Old Bear in years. I loved that. I'm often wearing fingerless gloves inside, especially when I type. Outside I totally bundle. Michigan is cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, thank you. I can only begin to imagine what your cold is like in the northern latitudes. I have been wearing fingerless gloves indoors in the winter for years, but now more than ever.

      Delete
  5. What a sweet post, today. Old Bear made me smile. It really reminds me of when my own children were little and enjoyed tucking in their stuffed lovies. Unfortunately the link to Treasure Bear did not work for me, but I did enjoy Old Bear.
    The key must be a clue to what's coming. We'll have to wait.
    Stay warm and cozy, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Oh, I'm so sorry the link didn't work. I don't know what the problem is, I've checked it out and it is getting daily views at the moment. Old Bear is such a lovely and gentle book, isn't it? Stay warm.xoxo

      Delete
  6. You are right, those illustrations are amazing. The detail is fabulous. And I love the key...wonder where it will lead us? Patience was never easy for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Yes. Wondering what the key will bring. Is it going to be another storyline following off or is it just a random image?? We'll have to wait and see. I'd better go and open the next door. Stay warm.xoxo

      Delete