Wednesday 7 December 2022

Books and Advent Day 7

hello friends!
 
Well it's getting really chilly now for at 8:00 o'clock this morning my living room was barely 15C, and although we're all fearful of how high our heating bills are going to be I have had to turn my heating up because I suffer with asthma and I cannot allow myself to get too cold. so I am scouring the Internet for other ways to conserve heat and energy to reduce my bills.
 
One thing I did this morning is as many curtains as possible are remaining closed across the windows.  there is a discernible rise in the cold air the minute they are opened so by keeping them closed hopefully it's keeping the cold on the window side not the room side! Of course this has to be offset by keeping the light levels safe as well. It's going to be a long winter I think for all of us, juggling things to maximise our heat and stay as warm as we can without running our bills of beyond all sense.
 
today is the 7th day of December, so that's one week of the last month of 2022 gone. The winter solstice is in a fortnight and Christmas not long behind that. I am nowhere ready and have already decided that I will be making a donation to charity in lieu of sending Christmas cards. I have not bought them yet and as they just changed the posting dates to accommodate these industrial action days that we have coming between now and Christmas I think it would be wiser to donate to my local food bank.
 
Today's picture is hidden behind an Ivy covered tree trunk, which reveals a beautiful owl sitting in the branches. I will say one of my favourite birds.  I am still in awe at how well everything matches up!



The Mary Engelbreit book I have chosen to share with you today From her home companion series, The Mary Engelbreit Look and How to Get It.  While I might not be able to afford to go all out in decorating with this style it's certainly a book you can pick and choose elements to introduce to your own decoration scheme should you so wish.







if you are enjoying seeing the books I am sharing you might want to pop over to another blog where you can find some other illustrators work being shared by my friend on her blog, Berries and More
 
until next time
Stay safe, stay well, stay warm
Debbie xo






7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful owl. I am just so amazed at the details of this calendar. You are right, how it all matches up so perfectly and such detail is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry it's that cold so early. Have you put that weather stripping on your window cracks around where you open them? It's like a silicone thing (I think) -- it comes in a tube like a caulking gun and when you put it around all the crack areas in the perimeter of your window it does help keep out the air a lot. I think you can also do something with a wrapping thing that is like a plastic cling that you somehow affix to the window to help keep the cold out. I also used to make "snakes" -- long tubes of cute fabric filled with beans to put along the window sill and door jambs. Those can even be kind of cute! Good luck, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures on your calendar. Have you got a heated electric throw for yourself? The girls bought Keith one for his birthday and he's snug as a bug beneath that. Cheaper than heating the whole house. When we were in Carms, neighbours of ours lived right on the river and that valley got very cold indeed (minus 17 one morning -recorded in the cab of the chap who goes round with the Semen for the cows, which has to be a certain temperature). They used to get BIG rolls of bubble wrap and tape it up on the insides of the windows which acted like double glazing. It really did work. In the olden days it was an open fire and one room living. Not everyone has a fireplace/chimney (we don't) - our kitchen fireplace has a chimney which is now a cupboard, with a window in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, I must go visit Nellie soon. I have only seen an owl once in the wild. It would be great to see one again. Thank you for sharing him today along with ME. She and I share the same initials.
    Closing curtains and such on windows will surely keep you warmer, my friend. Sending warm thoughts. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Deb!! Thank you so much for mentioning me! I’m not ready for the upcoming holiday, either. I do a little bit every day, though the days are passing quickly, and I know I’m going to run out of days. :-) I love that owl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its even colder today if that is possible - really heavy frost here so take care and stay warm Debbie. Love the owl in the calendar and the illustrations in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sweet owl. Keep warm, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete