Saturday 31 August 2024

Don't Be Afraid To Ask Now!

Hello Friends!

Today would have been my Grandmother's birthday. She died 47 years ago when I was 19. How I wish I'd asked her all those questions I now have that only she would know the answers to!

She was, by all accounts, in her younger days quite a remarkable woman. I would love to talk to her about the roles she played in both World Wars as a volunteer in the WVS, life as housekeeper in the Deanery, as the wife of the Cathedral Caretaker, even delivering newspapers to all the houses in the village because the menfolk were gone to war, and when she had to shimmy up and down on the Cathedral rooves as part of the wartime fire drills! I'd love to know more about the dances in the City Hall, and the years she spent as a pastry cook at the Dyfed Cafe. Her sense of fashion and penchant for hats was second to none! I'd comfort her as she'd tell of the heartache and immense loss of losing her baby girl aged four months, the Aunt I never knew. How different our lives would have been had the baby lived.

Oh! The things I would ask, the things I would discover, the stories she'd tell!

Ask all the questions you have now, don't put it off until it's too late!

With her young brother on the eve of WWI. He is only a child himself. He came home.


A rare family photo on the occasion of the Coronation of King George VI .  They decked out every house in the street back then.

My {short} grandmother, Nanna, s second from the right {wearing an omnipresent hat} and my {tall} grandfather, Dacu is the smartly dressed gentleman in light coloured slacks.


This vintage {antique?} postcard was sent to them while they were courting. Someone had a sense of humour.


Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Debbie x

14 comments:

  1. Love the postcard - a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, now it's up to me to find a custodian for the future.

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. When I was writing my book about our family, I was lucky to remember many stories and be able to talk to my 91 year-old aunt and my mom's 98-year-old best friend. But there are so many things I would ask if I could. And that's just one side of the family. At Rick's aunt Beth's memorial, we had an "ask the elders" dinner and it was a great idea, though I know there are many more questions to be asked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have become aware of two possible family members who recorded part of their story, but more distant than I'd like. One friend sent me a link to a professional {and expensive} company who assists in writing a book. I'll send you a link, it might give you an idea or two for your own.

      Delete
  3. Ah, you are not alone, how I wished I had asked more questions of my grandparents. Yes, you have excellent advice, ask now, don't put it off. You know much more than I do. You are lucky to have that and the photos and the postcard, how cute it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, someone observed their heights rather astutely! The card is a gem.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, I would love to ask so many questions now, but it's too late. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes we are now the ones to do the answering of questions not the asking.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, the unanswered questions we all have when it's too late. Great photos here, Deb. You are quite fortunate to have such photos and that postcard! I try to answer whatever my grands question. Grayden is writing his memoir now. Someday I'm sure it will answer a lot of their questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. My Antipodean cousin wrote her memoir, it is a valuable resource now. Get Grayden to put as much detail in as he can, for nothing is too small or unimportant.

      Delete
  6. I wish I'd asked more questions too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was only talking about my dear Gran and Grandma to my grandchildren recently and recalling many happy times from my childhood.

    Lovely to see your old photographs here and I like the postcard.

    Sending my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love that you have these trans generation conversations going. Your grandchildren, if they don't understand the importance now, will definitely do so in the future. They will have a wonderful record of their history. Debbie

      Delete