Sunday 4 August 2024

Well Smack My Wrists!

Hello Friends!

ICAD is done and dusted for another year.  Thank you to everyone who enjoyed what I did and for your kind words, support and encouragement.

It's tradition to share an image of all 61 Index Card pieces, but in the interests of Health and Safety I'm not doing the usual floor spread which means clambering on a chair to get the shot, so I got creative.  Here's my 2024 stack of 61 ICAD's




Normal blog wittering is now resumed.

Ever the one to encourage wildlife, my garden should be a haven for butterflies and bees, but contrary to this they are noticeable this year only by their absence.

Due to having Parkinson's, I cannot garden at all, except for the odd spot of weeding where the weeds are easy to pull and there is minimum risk of falling.  This has resulted in lots of pollinator friendly "weeds", such as teasels, dandelions, clover, mullein, brambles, the list goes on.  These are all in addition to things I have planted that are pollinator friendly, such as lavender, buddleia, mallow, verbena, sedum, mint, oregano, rosemary, and so on, focusing on single bloom type of pollinator friendly flowers rather than the double flower type of bloom.











When full of these, the right kind of plants to attract butterflies into my garden, it should be buzzing, but like those of so many others it is not.  Where have the butterflies gone?

WHERE HAVE THEY GONE???

I wonder if the BIG BUTTERFLY COUNT 2024 will reveal any patterns or hints?

I even allowed a RAGWORT to take root in my garden, so smack my wrists!  To be honest, it grows wild nearby and if you read up about it, it is fine to have it in my garden as I do not have livestock, and it will be removed before it goes to seed.  I had so hoped it would bring CINNABAR MOTH to the garden, but it did not.

This is the Bridlepath, not 50 yards from my cottage, a couple of years ago it was lined with Ragwort. Given all the regulations surrounding Ragwort, I am surprised it was left to get this out of control.



These are a few of the many species of butterfly and moth, with some caterpillars and bees that used to regularly frequent my garden but the numbers are well down this year.





























I don't normally share other artists, but came across this and could not resist.  I've tried to attribute it but it came off Facebook. 



Have you noticed a difference in butterfly numbers where you live?

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Debbie x 


4 comments:

  1. I've nearly forgotten what a butterfly looks like this year - very sad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ususally my little balcony garden is buzzi ng with life. This year I've seen 1 bee and 1 butterfly, and very few other insects. Shame! No insects, no bees, no life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a few butterflies and bees. I don't think the poor spring weather and the length of time that it took for some summery weather to arrive helped

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photos, they are so beautiful. We still have lots of honey bees and other pollinator bees, but less variety and amount of butterflies here. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete