Tuesday 27 August 2024

Sleep is the Enemy

Hello Friends!

It's coming up on three a.m. and once more sleep is the enemy.  I am still making art tiles, it helps while away the hours and, if I'm honest, is becoming a little addictive, although in the coming fortnight or so I have signed up for two or three different online art classes, so the tune might change.

I made this tile and then I wished I'd documented the process.  You see, most of my cards are straightforward doodles, building up using known patterns, making them easily repeated, but this one is based on a geometric pattern which I created as I drew it.  I knew that not recording the process was a mistake  . . .


So I did a Take 2 and made a record of the geometry while the method was fresh in my mind.  Hopefully you can make out the light pencil lines and see how patterns emerge from them.  The more you look at the feint pencil lines, the more patterns emerge.



This is the second tile, slightly different from the first one


Nothing to do with the above, this one just goes to show the dimensional effect that can be achieved simply using graphite shading.  The undulations achieved are amazing given the base drawing was just straight lines radiating from a single central point in one corner.


Which led to this


then back to random patterns







I seem to be enjoying using my compass, set square and protractor now.

It is August Bank Holiday Monday today.  The weather is horrible but I think the Carnival went ahead regardless.  I hope everyone had warm costumes.  It's a long parade, starting on one end of the road by the Grammar School for floats, walkers joining in at the Tourist Information Centre, parading through the city and off to the other end at the Rugby Club for judging.  It all takes about three hours!  At least the cash prizes for walking entries are good now.  They used to be a pittance, barely enough for an ice cream, but now they are £100, £50, and £25 for first, second, and third place.

Well, that was yesterday and I didn't hit publish. so it's no longer Monday, but Tuesday. I have phone calls to make today. I'm not looking forward to any of them as they're all to do with the Parkinson's and various clinics and increasing my medication again. Its got to be done, but it seems as soon as I'm settling down on one dose, getting over the side effects, they increase it. And there we go again.

Until next time.
Stay safe. Stay well.
Debbie. x













8 comments:

  1. The 3D effect really is convincing. It's nice to hear of a carnival. Every city or town seemed to have them when I was growing up, but they seem thin on the ground now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The carnival has been on BH Monday in August as long as I can remember, over 60 years. The quality comes and goes, but recently saw a decline in float numbers due to new insurance regulations. We have many carnivals across the region in July/August.

      Delete
  2. The tiles are beautiful. I hate that you are awake so much at night but I guess if you must be, this is at least a lovely way to spend the time. Good luck with all your calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you, yes it occupies the dark and lonely hours when no one else is awake.

      Delete
  3. Another one awake at night - since 11.45 actually (now 2 hours on). I was so tired in the day I slept twice on the sofa, including in the evening, so that has obviously upset my night time sleeping.

    I take my hat off to you with your tile patterns. Wow. I think you have a more mathematical brain than me. You are certainly more creative. Well done.

    Sorry about the necessary phone calls (I had a couple too and some more which I will deal with today once Tam and Dan are here to advise me). Sorry about the upping of the meds too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I no longer have a night/day routine. I just go with it now, if I am able.
      I don't know about mathematical brain, I struggle but get there eventually. My Tombow pencil retractable eraser is my friend!
      Phone calls a wash out, everyone seems to be on extended Bank Holiday leave!

      Delete
  4. I like your art tiles.

    It doesn't seem possible that it's almost the end of August.
    Our Bank Holiday weather wasn't too bad and I managed to get out with family to a classic car show... something a little different for me.

    Thinking of you, hope your phone calls were not too bad.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's good to see you posting again.

      I'm still waiting for all the various clinics to return my calls! Bank Holidays knock everything out of kilter!

      Look after yourself. Debbie

      Delete