Tuesday 1 August 2023

Bumblebees and The Home Straight.

 Hello friends,

Well, this sees the end of the index card art challenge for this year. I'm going to backtrack two pieces from last week's share. primarily because it's a key piece to what came next.

Here's the first piece you remember. you probably remember the slightly more. sophisticated black, gold and purple design.

One evening, I was looking at the half flower that sits below the row of three flowers In the triangle shape.  All of a sudden the one on the top appeared to be a stylised bumblebee.  So that meant further investigation I figured with a few tweaks, it could be drawn out into a stylised bumblebee. So that is what happened next And in my last entry, I shared this.


Now, if nothing else can be said about this pattern. it was fiddly. So I decided to experiment a little bit further, especially as I was still in experimental mode with the new paints. This is what happened. I filled the space with the stylised bumblebee. Then I drew in the vein detail on the wings using micron pen.  This became

52/61


Not a bad effort. and it certainly was easier painting the larger one than it was fiddling about with all those tiny bees!

No, as some of you will remember, I shared  the swatch samples that I made. on both black and white paper in the last entry here, So it followed that I would have to repeat this bumblebee. on black. So out came the gesso. I have to wait rather impatiently for it to dry before I could paint this. I know it's not identical, but it's close enough as they say for government work. the contrast on the black paper is incredible don't you think? the colours really pop and come off the page. So this became

53/61


If I'm totally honest, I can see this bumblebee becoming a full blown experiment on all sorts of different mediums in the near future.

54/61  Another version.



Today marks the home straight, just seven more days left to go.

55/61 I decided to stop working on the bees, so I made a checkerboard. pattern of ink. of intense paints.and filled each one with a different pattern that I have been working on or using during the past 2 months. It wasn't easy using a paintbrush to do the mark making that I've become so used to doing with the fine tipped micron pen.



56/61  A motif I often revisit


57/61


58/61


59/61


60/61



And finally. . .
 
61/61


And that's a wrap. ICAD is over for another 10 months.   Thank you to everyone who's followed along and especially for those who have left kind comments on my efforts, they've really been appreciated.  Your encouragement keeps me going!

Until next time.
stay well stay safe.
Debbie xx 

16 comments:

  1. Well done, Deb! I've so enjoyed seeing your work. Your use of color is wonderful! The gesso bumblebee is gorgeous, my friend. I can see you now exploring more and more as you have developed your own style. An artist that is true to their craft is you, my friend. Thank you for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Martha Ellen, for your kind and generous support throughout ICAD and for my art in general. It means more to me than words can say. I hope you will continue enjoy what come next as I settle back into the non challenge related world of art and creativity.

      Delete
  2. I've loved seeing all your work over the two months - you have so many good ideas and I enjoy seeing the progression from one to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I appreciate your support and encouragement.

      Delete
  3. You've created so many beautiful ICAD's Debbie and its been a joy to see what you have done. The last one above is especially lovely and I really do love the bumble bee ones. Thank you so much for sharing them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Caroline. I truly appreciate your encouraging kind words and support. They mean a lot coming from a fellow artist. I hope you will enjoy whatever I do next!

      Delete
  4. Love your ICADs, really beautiful, some of the best I have seen. nd I lve all the bumble bees! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Valerie. I thought you've enjoyed the work I've produced this past two months. As you know, it takes a lot of commitment. I really appreciate your support and encouragement. hugs Deb.

      Delete
  5. I've never done this, Deb, and I salute you! They're so beautfully done and so diverse in styles, too. That's such a commitment. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. It is a huge commitment to do something every day And although I try to be quick but as you will understand, we become invested in our work. and what sets out to be 20 minutes often takes two hours. Thank you for your encouragement and kind support. It is deeply appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely post, your ICADs are so nice.
    I especially like the bees.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan for your kind comments and support. I treat icad as a two month long opportunity to experiment more than I do it at other times of the year. The end result for me is a plethora of new ideas to experiment with and develop further.

      Delete
  7. They are all so beautiful and wonderful in their own way. The last one is my favorite, it's simply lovely~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear friend. Yes, that last one is a favourite of many. I'm glad you've enjoyed the two months and thank you for your support along the way.

      Delete
  8. I used to run courses for teachers combining their artwork with a computer graphics app. It was popular with children when the teachers went back into school to use the techniques learned with their class. It was also a way that children with less artistic ability could produce something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them all, Debra! I love how you can come up with so many different designs. And the last one is a beautiful scene. Having the wild flowers surround it really sets it off.

    ReplyDelete