Friday 18 August 2023

Twinchies {what is a Twinchie, you ask?}

Hello Friends!

A Twinchie It's a small piece of art worked on a two inch square substrate. The substrate can be anything you like. It can be watercolour card. Yupo paper. Wood. Fabric. You could even use a cut up cornflakes packet if you want. as long as your size is two inches square.

I decided. on two things for this challenge. Firstly to use as much of my Kuratake paints to get the feel for them and to experiment with them a little. secondly, not to invest oodles of time in this. project. So setting a time limit of no more than about 20 minutes per card. One of the days did take a little bit longer than 20 minutes. But I'm glad I allowed myself that because I'm very pleased with the outcome.

The prompt for day 5 was SPILL.
I did three interpretations over two cards. One was a literal spill of liquid. The other one is a small seascape with light spilling from the lighthouse and the ocean spilling on the shore.




Day 6  was KNOT I did a bow of ribbon and two stylised Celtic knots




Day 7 prompt was TOUCHING so I created pattern by touching the painted surfaces with a damp fingertip.  Three twinchies, and also playing with a collage editing element.






Day 8 prompt was BOX so I did a tongue~in~cheek interpretation.  Five of them!


Day 9 was  FERN
Since I have discovered how to create a photo montage I don't have to post individual photos!



Day 10 RIVER. This was a challenge. I've seen so many multiple images put together to make a bigger image I just had to give it a go. It was another challenge getting the composite in the correct order!



Day 11 POEM
A tricksy one today. I will likely return with something else, but wrote this quote on the back of a preprepared tile.



and finally ~~~ 

Day 12 MOON



That wraps up this challenge.  There are always a lot of challenges happening this time of year, but I'm taking a short break from challenges now. The next one I will be picking up is not a challenge, but an online retreats.   It's time once more for the Artist's Soul Gathering, hosted by Ida Andersen Lang, where we will be honouring the divine feminine in over a dozen works of art taught by twelve different creative spirits. 

Heartfelt thanks for your support and your kind words and encouragement over these past few weeks.  I do hope you will come and have a look at what I'll be doing in the ASG.  I won't be doing them all, as these are larger pieces of work, quite labour intensive, and therefore time consuming. as I do not sell my art, I'm afraid I cannot devote all day, every day, to it much as I would dearly love to. 

Until next time.
Stay well Stay safe.
Debbie x

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful Twinchies Debbie -must admit I had no idea initially what a Twinchie was. Your work is as lovely and creative as ever and I know I've said it before but I love the paints you are using. I particularly love the one of the lighthouse at the very beginning - so evocative of the coast.
    Look forward to seeing what you create for the next challenge:)
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. I've made an A5 picture of the lighthouse one. I'll be. sharing that on my next blog. I've got about a fortnight off now before I start the next challenge. I'm going to be spending that time trying to sort out my paints as some of them are a bit old and not worth keeping.
      The next challenge is all about celebrating the divine feminine. I think we have 12 artists guiding us guiding us on that one. I don't think I'll be doing all the pieces, it's very time consuming, if you're not selling your work.

      Delete
  2. You have had fun making the twinchies and that is evident in your work. I am joining in the Artist's soul retreat, too. I will at least do some of the lessons, and see how much I can do without getting too stressed again. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie, and yes I have had fun doing them. All that remains to do now is make a small, custom fit box to keep them together.
      Well, now I'm really looking forward to the artist's soul retreat. It's going to be such fun knowing a fellow artist blogger is on board. I love your work, so it's going to be a real treat to see what you do. Do you belong to Ida's Facebook group?
      Have a wonderful creative weekend. Hugs, Deb

      Delete
  3. I like all of these but I especially like "Fern."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. I like the ferns too. I can see them developed into a background pattern.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful! It’s the ferns for me too! I love them! I’d never heard of twinchies, so I’ve learnt something new today! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sal. Twinchies are the bigger sibling of Inchies!

      Delete
  5. What an interesting name, Twinchies! A two inch square must be a challenge, but you have met it, my friend. Love the river and of course the lighthouse Twinchies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, an even bigger challenge is the smaller sized Inchies. I thought of you especially when doing the lighthouse, and there's a larger version coming up in my next blog.

      Delete
  6. You can tell by your work that you enjoyed doing these. Your creativity shines from them. The knots are so pretty. I laughed at the boxes, they were fun. The ferns are lovely. Being of Welsh descent, I am partial to the poetry. ;-) They really are all so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darlene. I'm glad you like them, I really am.

      Delete
  7. I like the fingerprints - they look like pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, I can see that interpretation, I see coffee beans!

      Delete
  8. Well done, your Twinchies look great.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete