Tuesday 29 August 2023

Is It Too Early?

Hello friends,

Warning: This post is photo heavy!

I bet you think I'm going to ask how early is too early for Christmas? Well, that's not my question. My question is, how early is too early to start decorating for Autumn? aka Fall if you live in America.

Meteorological Autumn begins in a few days on September 1st, while Astronomical Autumn is recognised as starting on the Autumn Equinox around the 22nd of September, this year on Saturday 23rd September, and ending on Friday, the 22nd of December with the Winter Solstice.

Those of you who know me well know that, although I love and honour all the seasons, Autumn is my favourite. I don't know why I love it so much. Maybe it's because I'm an October baby. Who knows? I love everything about it.  Even the bad weather!  I love the warmer layers of clothing. I love the softer lighting as the sun slips slowly lower in the sky. I love mittens and fingerless gloves, scarves and woollen hats. I love wrapping up warmly. I loved going out for long walks on frosty days. I loved stomping through crisply crunchy fallen leaves. I love closing my curtains on the darker evenings. I love the changing smells that waft from the kitchen. I love bringing out my blankets from storage and draping them on the sofa and chairs ready to use as the nights become more and more chilly. I love candles. I love hot chocolate. I love pumpkins. I love the wind, as it howls in the chimney. As long as everyone stays safe, I even like the sturdy winds that come with the Autumn storms.  I love watching Hallmark Christmas movies on the television.

So that raises the question. how soon is too soon to begin decorating for Autumn? Can I do it now, or should I wait until Astronomical Autumn in a few more weeks? Well, I think I already know the answer to this question. A few bits and pieces might start making their way out slowly; I won't go for the full on Autumn just yet, but it won't be long!

Here are a few photos of some decorating from previous years.

























We mustn't forget the pumpkins!





















I am rather fond of pumpkins. Of all sorts of pumpkins. You'll notice my handle is Rustic Pumpkin.  I have just put together an assemblance of these photos to have a calendar for next year, every photo will be a pumpkin!

So my friends,
Until next time.
Stay safe. Stay well.
Debbie xx 

25 comments:

  1. Deb, you have written exactly the same way I feel about glorious Autumn! All of your photos fill me with warm fuzzy feelings of what we can look forward to. The days are getting shorter here as well, but the temperatures are still requiring the AC to hum along. Our morning walk was full of mist, but Fall is knocking at the door in spite of the rising humidity of the day. We are kindred lovers of our favorite season to come! Have a great day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would feel the same way, for we are indeed kindred October spirits.

      Delete
  2. I say if you love it and you're eager to decorate, then do it now and enjoy it longer! I love fall and the feeling of it but I'm not ready for it yet -- it feels like I haven't had much summer. But I do love the decor. (I really hate to see holidays like Halloween or Christmas rushed in stores before the end of September, though!) I see lots of fall beginning to happen here in the north as you may have seen from my post. Like I said, not ready. But I see your beautiful fall things and think it might be time for you to get them out and have at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes our treasures are just to pretty to leave tucked away for so long! Unfortunately, fierce competition brings merchandise into the shops far too early.

      Delete
    2. you won't believe this, now just on the morning news there's a segment on garden centres that have already gone into full on Christmas retail mode!

      Delete
  3. It's too early here in Maryland because it's going to be in the 90s next week! But I did buy two Mums at Aldi's last week. I'm leaving them in their pots for now because we desperately need rain here and it's easier to water them everyday in their pot. As soon as it starts to feel cool here I will switch out my Spring/Summer blue dining room curtains for my red Autumn/Winter ones and begin taking down Summer and putting up Autumn! I love pumpkinsm, too. And Autumn leaves. And woodsmoke. I don't care for the dark, though. You have an even shorter day than we do. Do you ever learn to like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't really seen Summer, it's been ]Autumnal for a few weeks now, we've even already had two named storms which don't normally happen until November. I do not care for shorter days, but there's something cosy, too, about closing the curtains on the longer nights.

      Delete
  4. You've done some beautiful Autumn displays in the past Debbie. Spring is my favourite season but Autumn comes a very close second!
    Some big stores by us have put out Christmas items - its horrid :( A pumpkin calendar sounds a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. I agree, although on the BBC news yesterday, it was showing garden centres that have gone into full on Christmas mode already

      Delete
  5. This post has got me in the mood for autumn now :)
    I'm looking forward to enjoying some late summer weather, but I sense a change in the air. I think I will wait a little longer before displaying some autumn decorations. Yours look lovely. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules. It's lovely to see you here Welcome.

      Delete
  6. Hello, I think this is my first time visiting here. Saw your comment at The Joy of Home and decided to visit. Since it is raining steadily here in Northeastern Washington state (close to Canada and Idaho state) I think it would be a good time to start Fall decorating. :) Since you are such a fan of pumpkins, a pumpkin calendar seems appropriate! Enjoy. Here's where I blog https://happywonderer.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen Ohh, I do love Washington state. I have a dear friend who lives on Puget Sound who shares my love of pumpkins. I shall wander off later and have a look at your blog.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous photos, they put me in the mood for Autumn. But we have some hot 90 degree days coming up this weekend, so Summer is still holding on here. But I do feel the shift in the air. It's hard to describe, but I feel the shift, Summer is losing her grip and Autumn is edging in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darlene. yes, I can imagine it's very strange. having such hot weather yetthe sun is starting to slip so noticeably lower in the sky bringing in that gorgeous into autumn lights

      Delete
  8. All your Fall photos made my heart sing. I think it's never too early to decorate for Fall haha. But seriously, I usually start at the first of Sept., but I couldn't help but put a few things out in August. I love this time as much as you, and it was good to hear you have an October birthday, like my daughter. I was noticing your throw, and it looks exactly like the throw my son bought me. I love your candles and decorations and pine cones. It's all so cozy and nice. And those pumpkins, how wonderful! Happy decorating for Fall, my friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri for stopping by and your lovely comment. It's so hard to keep the autumn decorating till the season, isn't it? I have collected pine cones from all over the world, I'm glad you've enjoyed my post, and I do hope you'll stop by again soon. Happy Autumn.!

      Delete
  9. I did enjoy your Autumnal photographs, I've always liked this time of year.

    Happy September Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was born in May and spring is my favourite season. However, Martyn was a January baby and wouldn'tpick winter as his favourite

    ReplyDelete
  11. I surfed in from Rosie’s blog and am so glad I did. Thoroughly enjoyed my visit. Thanks to you and other blogging friends, I started putting Autumn decorations out early, and I absolutely love pumpkin weather. Such a delightful series of photos here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Autumn decorating just seems the perfect way to herald in the seasons of hygge. Although right now we are basking in a heat wave that is worthy of summer in the UK with temperatures over 30 degrees Celsius, We've endured a summer of autumnal weather and as soon as meteorological autumn was upon us along came the summer weather..

      Delete