Sunday 30 July 2023

For Mum, With Love

Hello friends

Some of you may have noticed that towards the end of the 61 day index card challenge, I started getting more than a little antsy, waiting to move on. I was getting impatient to progress with one of the lessons that had popped up in the Nature Studio, which is the new name for Anna Mason's online art school.  Anna is still the teacher. 

The tutorial to paint a cocker spaniel popped up and I really felt an urge paint it Of course, this was in the middle of the ICAD challenge and it all takes time out of your day so when I found myself ahead on the index card challenge I started on the little spaniel portrait. So it's a spaniel, not the spaniel you were expecting.

I wanted to paint it to the memory of my late mother, who died from Alzheimer's. As a child, she once had a Cocker Spaniel this colour called Rusty. Sadly, Rusty died as a young pup from distemper, but she always remembered him and always loved him. So this one's for you, Mum.

Here's the Ugly Stage {it gets better. You always get an ugly stage to every painting. You just have to work through it}


Thankfully, on the second phase, we dealt with the eyes and nose.  It takes away that freakishly scary look on the first photo. I was glad that happened because I was getting the heapy, cheap piece working on it without eyes and nose. It's amazing what simple features can do to improving a piece.



The next phase involved enhancing some of the shadows, highlights and darker tints.


Moving on to the next stage, I realised I had overworked the bridge of the nose. It. looked very flat so that needed to be sorted out now!


which happened here, by lifting off some layers of paint.  That's so much better now.


It's really starting to come to life.  One thing I have learned is to. use my mobile phone to take many pictures as each. stage progresses because it helps you learn and also helps you to get a better view of what you've done


Almost there!  Just a few final details and careful tweaks to go.  At this stage, I have to be very careful not to overwork things and spoil the work I've done.


Time to walk away now, otherwise I'm afraid I will ruin it. So here's the final outcome. I hope you like it



Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Debbie xx

18 comments:

  1. Oh Deb, he's terrific! I love his eyes and his nose. It's great to see the whole process, my friend. Very clever to take photos along the way. What a sweet rememberance to accompany the memories your dear Mum shared with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Yes, taking photographs is a trick I learned in college. It helps to put a fresh eye so you can pick out areas that need altering or more work They say the camera never lies.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely tribute to Rusty and I am sure your mum would have been delighted. It's a beautiful painting and you've done brilliantly - those eyes and nose are so well done. My mum too had a Cocker Spaniel - one of the blue roan ones . I am struggling to think of his name now. He too, sadly, didn't live into old age as he ran out into the road and was killed by a car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. oh, that is another tragic end. I was always touched by how mum remembered Rusty all her life. Despite his very short time with her, she must have loved him dearly.

      Delete
  3. Your spaniel is beautiful, well done, and it's a fabulous tribute to your dear mum. Yes, that ugly stage is there by every painting, but you mastered it so well. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish I'd learned a long time ago that everything goes through the ugly stage because the amount of work I've thrown in the basket to. thanks to the ugly stage is unbelievable! Have a good week, Valerie, hugs Deb

      Delete
  4. It's a lovely painting and so interesting to see it at all the stages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, yes the photographs really help to see any issues that need resolving but also to see the work as it gradually emerges from the page.

      Delete
  5. Its a really super painting Debbie and you must be so pleased with it. A great idea to take photos as you progress through the work. A lovely tribute to Rusty and your mum would have loved it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. Yes, I'm well chuffed with it.

      Delete
  6. The spaniel is beautiful, you could buld a business in pet portraiture. It's always amazing how the little dots of white bring eyes to life,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I am a long way off from setting up a business in pet portraiture. I'm sure there would be a demand for it, though. However, next on my agenda is painting a picture of Gwen my English springer spaniel

      Delete
  7. Well done, Deb. You captured the look in perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a very special painting! Well done, Deb!

    ReplyDelete