Thursday 13 July 2023

My Great Grandmother's Rambling Rose

Hello friends!

Well, depending on how you look at it, the weather has been cruel or kind. And a lot depends on where you live. and what you got from heatwave to flooding at the extreme ends of the spectrum.  We have had several days of torrential rain, and high winds coming in.  We needed the rain desperately and everything now looks fresh and new again. No doubt the grass will be growing at a rate of knots and greening up making up for lost time over the recent long dry spell. So will the weeds!  However, I could certainly do without the high winds coming in.

What all of this means is that the garden has not needed any watering. It also means that from this afternoon on it will probably be trashed when it is now reaching its peak of bloom. Well, there's nothing we can do about it, as they say. it is what it is. 

A few entries ago now. and on some of my other social media platforms, I hinted at a rose that belonged to my great grandmother Today is the day to tell you the story as I know it.

I grew up in a house with a very long, narrow garden. Most of the houses in my street had narrow, long gardens. It was the kind of garden tended by generations of my family and had provided us with food and recreational space for decades.  After my father had done the alterations on the house. at the top of the steps that led up from the backyard. there was a small concreted patio area. alongside another small area of lawn Not big enough for anything other than a deck chair. Then there was a retaining stone wall that was built as a rockery. The rockery was covered in plants like snow on the mountain. and various colours of saxophage. red, white, pink, and other similar small plants. I wish we had been a family for taking photographs, but we were not. This would have made my story telling a lot easier.

A narrow footpath lead from the top of the steps right the way up to the top of the garden. It divided, without fences, our garden from next door up. our side was divided into several sections. First there was a lawn area. which had a beautiful big bromley apple tree. and where my swing was located. Further up, was another small Apple tree. Some fruit bushes, including an ancient gooseberry planted by my great grandfather for my mother. There was a long patch. of land that was. cultivated with vegetables. Near the top was Bonzo's kennel. later to become Skippy's kennel. after dear Bonzo's days. and at the very top above the kennel was the hen house, which kept us in eggs and the occasional Sunday roast dinner. The dogs were trained gun dogs because my father hunted for our table. He also fished. We were poor, but we were always well fed.

Returning to the lawn which on three sides had borders full of flowers. The lawn was my Grandmother's domain with occasional. help from my mother. We didn't own a lawn mower I don't think many people did back in those days when. the lawn was cut, my mother used to do it on her hands and knees with the garden shears. It must have taken hours on end, Yet, I never remember the lawn being overgrown or too long.

It was along one side, on top of the hedge that divided us from next door down, that there was a beautiful pink rambling rose. It flowered profusely all summer long. A wall of pink flowers. It was stunning. This rose, along with the Bramley Apple tree. are the two things I remember most from the garden at my childhood home.

Now, as the story goes, this pink rambling rose was planted on the edge by my great grandmother. How true this is. I do not know. however, I will. turn 66 this autumn. and I can never remember a time when that rose was not in the garden. Furthermore, it is still there today and still flowering to day. I am not certain when my great grandmother died but I believe it was in the late 1940s. by my calculations that rose must be in the region of 75 to 80 years old. Even if the story of my great grandmother planting it is a family urban legend given that I can never remember a time when it was not there, it must be well over 60 years old. Would that be some kind of record? I do not know.

Time passed. the other afternoon, I was sitting in my neighbour's garden. Now she has a beautiful pink rambling rose. on her wall overlooking the road.  Often, when I have passed by, I thought. How like my great grandmothers rose hers looks. So naturally, it came up in conversation. I told her the story, For her garden overlooks my old garden. I asked her if she could see the rose I was talking about from. her the end of her garden. Not only can she see it, but it turns out her rose is a cutting from the very rose that my great grandmother planted in my old childhood home.  A daughter from great grandma's rose!!!




As you can see, it is full of the tiniest. perfectly formed pink roses.  It is spectacular to see. even now, when it is a victim of bad weather, it is still beautiful.

I have now come away from my neighbour's garden with a tiny rooted cutting from the daughter of my great grandmother's rose.  I know I won't be around in another 60 or 70 years, but now I can't help wondering, will these roses survive another half century or more?





Do you have any heirloom plants with a story like this in your garden? Maybe you've moved several times and you've taken a potted plant with you that's belonged to your forebears. just because you move house doesn't mean you can't take some plants with you.  I'm sure we'd all be interested to know.

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Debbie xx

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful rose and what a lovely story. I could just see your childhood garden in my mind's eye. My best friend Trish's family has a similar garden - LOTS of vegetables and the flowers were kept to the front garden. Lots of people had a few hens then too (my mum did for a couple of years) and houses were built with big gardens like that for sustainability - unless you were totally feckless, everyone grew their own.

    I wish I could say, oh that's so and so rose, but I'm very glad you have a cutting of it for posterity. I left behind a 30 year old rambler rose (well two, as Kiftsgate was a similar age when we left Ynyswen). I dare say that rose will STILL be growing, flowering and spreading in another 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes. all those years ago, gardens were very different to what they are now Although many are perhaps returning to the grow your own. status once more. We kept the hens until the fox decided we needed them no longer. However, we had virtually no land out to the front. There was a low hedge of Rose of Sharon and a low hedge of some sort of evergreen. I don't know whether it was for flowers before I remember but all I can recall is it being used as a parking space for my father's van.
      How wonderful that you also have the memory of an old rambler. What a shame you didn't keep a cutting of it, though. for your new house.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story about your grandmother's roses, and I can really picture your childhood garden, it sounds so lovely. My Godmother had a wonderful garden, also long and narrow, and for me the best things were the stream at the end of the garden and behind that the railway tracks, where trains steamed by every half an hour, and I loved waving to the people on the train! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie. Oh, that must have been wonderful having a stream at the end of the garden, and railway tracks too! It sounds absolutely idyllic. waving at the people on the train on steam trains it makes me think of the Railway Children. Hugs Deb.

      Delete
    2. Indeed, that's just what i felt like! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. What lovely memories and incredible roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story Debbie and I can't tell you how glad I am your great grandmother's rose is still thriving and that you have a cutting. It is such a beautiful rose. I remember our garden from childhood so clearly and also my paternal grandfather's. I don't have any old old family plants here but we do have plants grown from cuttings from parents' gardens and I have some cowslips that my father grew for me from seed. We also have a lovely Whitebeam tree - very tall now but when we moved in about 45 years ago it was just a tiny self seeded sapling. Its been lovely watching it growning and growing over the years. I really ought to try and get some saplings from berries in case we ever move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. Yes, I'm hoping the cutting will come on. It is very well rooted. I'm not sure where I will put it in the garden though. As you know, we get horrendous winds and I don't really have a supporting wall for it. I might put it in a pot with a trellis. then it can be moved when the wind is too strong in a certain direction. I think it's lovely that you also have plants grown from cuttings from your parents garden. cow slips are one of my favourite plants. The fragrance is just intoxicating. Yes, I think you should get some saplings from berries ready just in case.

      Delete
  5. Oh Deb, how exciting for you to have this very special cutting from your great grandmother's rose! I loved reading all about your childhood home and garden. Those memories are so special, my friend. I do have several lilacs that came from my grandmother's garden and a special bridal wreath shrub from my own childhood garden that was planted by my dear Mama. This year marks 50 years in our own home and I must say each plant is like a member of my family. How very fortunate we are to tend to plants that will live on way longer than us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. How wonderful that you have lilacs from your grandmother's garden. I don't know what a bridal wreath shrub is. I shall have to look that one up. You are very lucky to have it. 50 years is a long time to spend in one home, isn't it? It is such a lovely home and it's will be as much a part of you as can be. Your garden is beautiful too.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful story and such lovely memories. I can see the garden in my mind. The roses are beautiful and I hope your cutting grows quickly and blooms for you lushly.

    No story on my end to tell. The plants my Mom brought here from her parent's house have died out. But I keep adding more new to us plants.

    I hope your weather settles down. We have been very lucky, the bad weather has passed around us. But we have been getting all the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darlene. what a pity your mother's plants have died out. But I do know you keep working very hard on your own garden. and it is a treasure With much love and care going into the planting and tending of everything. As I mentioned to you earlier our weather has taken a turn for the worst. It is now. more like autumn than Midsummer. Gales and rain for the next few days. Such fun.!

      Delete
  7. That’s such a lovely story! The rose is beautiful!

    I wish that I’d taken cuttings from my mum’s garden but you just don’t think at the time what with so much else to do.

    But it was my grandmother who was the gardener in the family and as a very young child, I loved to visit her garden, where I was allowed my own small area to nurture and water! When you think that in those days, she didn’t have the same access to nurseries/ garden centres etc; she just relied on buying seeds from the local market.

    I’ve never taken that much from previous gardens when I’ve moved house, apart from some cuttings of a large, opium poppy, which was stunning!

    Our weather has changed too, here in South Devon, having had two months of no rain, we finally have some. It’s warm too..what I call proper growing weather! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sal And thank you for the follow. My grandmother was the gardener too, and her father before her was a gardener by trade. I will be sharing more of their stories in the future, I think. Poppies are amongst my top five favourite flowers and the opium poppies are beautiful indeed. The past few days in West Wales, we've been having very strong winds and torrential rain. I hope it's going to save me watering for a few days. but unfortunately the grass will be growing now at a rate of knots too!

      Delete
  8. I have an aspidistra that belonged to my grandmother. It went back through the family and at one time was lent out to the church for events. I acquired it after my grandma had nearly killed it. She had been watering it with milky tea and the compost was rancid. The plant had only one leaf left so she gave it to me and told me to see what I could do with it. I washed off all the compost and repotted it. It breathed a sigh of relief and leaves shot up. It's incredible to think what tales the plant could tell if it could talk. It's at least twice my age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sue what a lovely story that you rescued the Aspadistra, but I've never heard of anybody lending out a plant before. I. have to confess, I had cuttings off many cacti that belonged to my grandmother, but over the years, I am afraid they have all gone in compost. Sad but true.

      Delete