Thursday 18 January 2024

It Snowed ~ Or Did It?

Hello friends!

It snowed last night.

We hardly ever get snow where I live. The last time we had any discernible snow was about 14 years ago when it snowed and it snowed. And it snowed. And it stuck with us for three long weeks. Long enough for the novelty to wear off.

Before that, I think the biggest snowfall we had was 1963. I had not long started primary school. and the school was shut for three days because the toilets froze over. We still talk about it all these decades on that's how often we get snow.

So last night close to midnight I got a surprise to see my garden lightly dusted as snow started to gently fall. ' Late though the hour was, I got my phone and took this photograph, just in case I thought I had imagined it when morning came.  I went online and posted it on Facebook. And lo and behold, my feed was full of photos of snow falling across the city. I was not the only one bringing proof that we did actually have snow.  We all knew it would be gone in an hour.  That's just the way it is here.



If we had a centimeter that's all we had. However, by this morning it had started to melt but then the temperature plummeted, and it has frozen. So my patio is now like a skating rink. I will not be venturing out on it today.

It's all geographic as I live on a peninsula, which sticks out just enough into what is the North Atlantic Drift, on the northerly reaches of the Gulf Stream. This elevates our temperature by an almost indiscernible amount. Yet it is enough to keep us relatively snow free unless it gets really bad in the rest of the country. Even three miles down the road, they can have a few inches of snow, and we get nothing.

Here are some photographs of the last time we had snow.  Some of the clouds were spectacular.










Roll on Spring now, the novelty of keeping warm has gone.  Unfortunately it seems this coming weekend sees us back in the land of gales and storms.

I also need to tell you that my air fryer makes perfect toast, in fact the crispiest and driest toast, the most delicious toast I've ever eaten.  I put it in the drawer on a rack on the Max Crisp setting and five minutes later I'm tucking in to the Best Toast EVER!  It doesn't even sweat on the plate.

Until next time.
Stay safe. Stay well. Stay warm.
Debbie.

10 comments:

  1. We have had loads of snow the past couple of days, but today I enjoyed walking along the Rhine with blue skies, snow and sunshine! I will make you some teddies in white and black next week, but please sendx me your post address. There's a message link on my right side bar! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live in beautiful country -- but it looks very cold and formidable with the snow! Be careful and keep off that ice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1963 was a landmark year for snow across much of the country - where I lived then in Sussex it started snowing on Boxing Day '62, and pretty much carried on until early March, with most of February below freezing. Some of our neighbours had their heating oil freezing in the outside tanks so were in a bad way for any kind of heat in their homes. With coal fires we were OK though. And it was the only time that anyone could remember any of the schools closing for any reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photographs are beautiful ...

    As I type this we have a temperature of -4C and it is definitely soup weather :)
    No snow but plenty of frost in the morning.

    Pleased you are enjoying the toast from your air fryer.

    Keep warm.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had snow as well, Deb. A little more than you and we are expected to get more soon. All the grocery store shelves are being emptied. I'm afraid a lot of folks panic when they hear the word snow in the forecast!
    I love your photos of past snows in your area. The snow angel is exquisite! The wide angle shots are so lovely. Glad to hear you are being careful and not venturing outside when it's frozen ground. Take care and remember we are huddling around the fire across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful photos. I love the snow angel. And the tiny sparrow. I am glad that your snow has not stayed. We have snow coming this evening. 3 to 5 inches forecasted. I don't mind the snow, but I am sick of the bitter wind. Maybe we both could find a way to get rid of cold winds. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fabulous photos. I especially like the spectacular clouds in the first one (scene of a special birthday walk for me one year.) No snow here but minus 6 overnight (and right now). I'm sat here swathed in Keith's electric throw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only a sprinkling of snow here one morning mainly heavy frosts. Love your snowy photos from the past especially the snow angel. It is a little milder today - cloudy but dry. Hope the gales and rain approaching aren't too bad for you. Caroline from Ragged Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To say we live in Yorkshire we only get a little snow as we are in the shelter of the Aire valley. There can be lots of snow just a few miles from us on higher ground and we have none.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The picture of the Redwing on the snow is gorgeous. A classic bird of winter!

    ReplyDelete