Thursday 11 January 2024

The Oliphaunt

Hello Friends!

I am very happy with my little oliphaunt {as Samwise Gamgee would say}  It was drawn from a copyright free stock photograph as part of the online Drawing Magic Secrets at Atelier Ida Andersen Lang.  It took me somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes.  I would like to revisit this image and do an in depth study with all the shading.


I was rather intimidated at first as I'm not used to drawing animals and it pushed me well outside my comfort zone, but that is how we learn.

I received this lovely A5 pocket sketchbook by Winsor & Newton for Christmas.  It is vegan pleather.  What a thoughtful gift.





I hope you are not too badly affected by the weather. It is awffy cold!  I was reading just this morning that the NHS recommends the minimum temperature for health is 18*C, or 64*F.  I do keep mine at that balmy setting but do my best to keep myself warm with layers of clothing, quilts hot water bottles and hot drinks.  Funny how in the summer months 18*C seems most pleasant. 

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well, stay warm
Debbie

12 comments:

  1. Love the little elephant - hope you have a go at some other animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I have just done a 30 minute timed composite image with a parrot and a cockateel. It's very quick and rough, but it might show up later.

      Delete
  2. Love your elephant, so lovely! And your sketch book is beautiful. Have a good day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, I'm looking forward to using it soon! Hugs, Deb

      Delete
  3. Your elephant is darling, Deb! Great job! He sure looks like a happy one. I do love those magnificent creatures. The lovely sketchbook is a great gift for you.
    The weather here has been quite chilly and windy for us! We have flooding from our recent rains that seem to visit every weekend. It's quite different from our recent drought conditions of a few months ago.
    Stay warm and cozy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen. It is sweetly darling, isn't it? I am rather fond of elephants. Floods from endless torrential rain falling on already sodden ground is a huge issue in some areas of the UK and now, although dry, the temperatures have plummeted. Snow is forecast, if not already falling in some areas. We just cannot win! Enjoy your weekend, whatever the weather!

      Delete
  4. The weather has turned so cold hasn't it.
    Soups and warming casseroles are on the menu!

    I do like your elephant.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes comfort food is needed now. The elephant is rather sweet isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Ragged Robin here again Debbie. Super drawing of the elephant especially in such a short space of time. The drawing course sounds good. Love the sketchbook. Interesting comment you make about 18 degrees seeming ok in the summer but not in the winter. I have had the same thought myself! Take care. Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. I think a lot of our drawing assignments will be these short timed pieces. Take care my friend !

      Delete
  6. I think the elephant is very sweet, too. I am shocked that you did it in such a short time. Maybe the point of that is so that you "do" and don't overthink? I can only imagine how great it will look when you do it again with no time limit.

    It is Sunday morning and I have 13F with a wind chill of -11. But the sky is almost all blue and the sun is gloriously shining. Thank you, Lord!

    ReplyDelete