Saturday 13 January 2024

Roses Are Red My Love {voices from beyond}

Hello friends!

My late mother loved roses. It has been five years now since she left this mortal coil, but a long time before she died, she spoke that she wanted one single red rose on her coffin. However, when the time came, I couldn't bring myself to do this as I felt she meant it to come from my father, who had died a few years earlier. So I bought a beautiful wreath instead.  Then this happened.

Years ago, when I lived abroad. I used to send money to one of my cousins who would go and purchase flowers for my mother from me on Mothering Sunday every year. One year we discussed it and she bought a potted miniature rose instead of the usual bouquet of cut blooms. After the potted rose had served its time, Mum planted it into the garden where it flourished and grew. Some 30 years passed, and the small rose survived. 

During the last few years of my mother's life between my duties of caring for her as she slowly succumbed to Alzheimer's. and my own illness of Parkinson's starting to take hold the garden started to suffer from neglect. The borders became overgrown, and plants  choked and died. There was no sign of her rose. Where I live, roses flower from the Spring to late Summer. By the end of September, they are spent.

Fast forward to the morning of my mother's funeral on a cold and windy November morning.  I came out of the house to get into the limo and as I walked past the borders I noticed. not much bigger than the size of a 50 pence piece a red bloom in the middle of all the overgrown weeds. I had to stop to take a closer look. I could scarcely believe my eyes Here we were in the middle of November  and the tiny flower that I could see was a single red rose flowering on the plant that I had given my mother all those years before and I had given it up for dead amongst the weeds. Can you even begin to imagine how I felt at that moment?  November, when the roses should have stopped flowering and this particular plant was being choked by the weeds that surrounded it. And here we were on the morning of my mother's funeral, looking at a single red rose.  I was being reminded of the request that she had made years earlier and it was being fulfilled.

Here are a few pictures of some of her roses.













Then a few months later there was this.

It was January, three months without Mum, and I had been very down and unhappy since Christmas and missing Mum more than words can say. My neighbour asked me to go down to Whitesands with her so I did. It was a beautiful day, cold but blue skied, and the tide was way out. As we walked along the vast expanse of sandy beach, I suddenly felt myself being drawn instinctively away from the path I was treading across the beach. A few feet away, a tiny heart shaped piece of sea glass called out to me and I answered its call.



Just to say, Whitesands is  a big beach, especially when the tide is out, see above, and it is not known for its sea glass, yet I found this tiny piece of heart shaped glass. I have never found sea glass before. This is my first piece I have ever found.



I don't know if you believe in the afterlife, or voices from the great beyond. but between the experience of the glass heart and the single red rose, there is no doubt in my mind. None whatsoever.

Until next time. 
Stay safe. Stay well. Stay warm.
Debbie.

18 comments:

  1. These are beautiful and there is more to heaven and earth than us mere mortals understand isn't there?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure we still have a connection to those we have loved, and you must cherish these wonderful signs that you received. Roses are my fave flowers, too. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some gorgeous colours there.
    There are many mysteries that we might never know the answers to

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see a heart shape on the beach I think of you Deb. I’ve collected a few and will send you a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had signs from my best friend who passed (including her whispering in my ear, on the day of her funeral), so I readily believe that such things can happen with a purpose, to show you are still thought of . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweet Deb, these messages from your mother are beautiful. Her rosarian heart let you know she will always be a part of you. Just like the heart sea glass...Yes, I do believe in the afterlife and have many comforting examples. Big hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you found the red rose and the glass heart Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Debbie - what a moving and touching blog post. Such lovely messages from your mother. Her roses are beautiful and your photos are wonderful. Take Care. Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love never ends, and that's what we are at our core, full on love. I do believe in the afterlife and I do believe our loved ones find a way to contact us. I'm not sure if I had told you my story, but I will now.

    When my Dad passed, I didn't know what to do with myself. After a year of total care for him, from feeding to washing and dressing, I was devastated with his loss and also the routine I had for that last year. I was lost. One morning, as I slept, in my dream I looked ahead of me and saw Dad standing there. I went to rush over to him, as he couldn't stand on his own, and he put up his hand to stop me. He said, " You don't have to worry, I'm okay now". And he was. He was the whole and healthy Dad I had years ago. I woke up and thanked The Lord for my message from my Dad. I started to heal with that dream. My grief lessened from that day on. Dad has been gone 5 years this past December 30th. Time goes by so fast, but it still hurts, doesn't it? I look forward to the day I can hug him again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, I forgot to say how beautiful the roses are and and how I think of you, when I see hearts, too. Love you, my friend~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our loved ones never leave us, they are forever in our thoughts and in our hearts.

    Lovely roses you've shared. they are such a beautiful flower.
    The sea glass is very special, I've never collected or seen any, the heart shape piece has a special meaning.

    I hope you've had a good weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments. I won't reply to each one now as my typing is not easy to achieve right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a similar experience, when my mum died the clock that she bought for me stopped. Then when my dad died we came home to a dawn chorus.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful, Deb -- and seeing these photos on a sub-zero day here warms my heart. Thanks for coming over to Marmelade Gypsy. I always appreciate your visits and comments, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh yesss...signs...who really knows...I knew the moment of my Mother's passing an hour before I was told...a gossamer like shawl enveloped me and I checked the time...yep...the exact time she passed...nearly 21 years ago. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I truly enjoyed reading about these very special happenings in your life. When my Dad passed away, his pastor encouraged all the family to be watching for the ways God would break into our lives and encourage us. My first experience came very early the next morning.

    ReplyDelete