Tuesday 12 December 2023

Handmade Tags

Hello Friends!

Thank you to everyone for your lovely comments on my previous blog.  I was apprehensive over the subject matter, but your responses gave me a Big Thumbs Up!  I'm so happy so many of you enjoyed what I feel is a fascinating subject.

I came across a very simple technique for making tie on tags using recycled tissue paper, so thought I'd share it.  All you need is some clean, used tissue paper preferably the absorbent kind, not the coated kind although that will work. Some pva glue, a paintbrush, spritz water bottle, and a rubber stamp. You will need something to punch a hole and something to tie the tag with, and optional gilding wax.

Here's what I did.

First, I scrumpled up the tissue paper into a ball, gave it a good squeeze to get it all wrinkly, which helps make it absorbent. I then flattened it out and put a couple of layers down on a non absorbent surface, such as a glass craft mat and spritzed it with water. Damp it, don't soak it.  I then took some lightly diluted pva glue and lightly brushed over the damp tissue paper then added a couple of more layers of paper, spritzed and glued, and repeated this until I had about eight or ten layers of paper stuck together every two layers with some PVA glue.  Finish with just dampened paper.  I then took the stamp of my choice and pressed it down firmly into the damp paper until it made a good impression. I then left it all to dry overnight.

Once it was fully dry, I cut out around the round the shape  then using a bradawl I carefully pierced a hole for the tag. You can use the whole punch if you have one. The design wasn't showing up as well as I would have liked it too, so I took some of my gilding wax and just lightly brushed it using my fore finger.  You could just lightly sponge on some "dry" paint if you don't have gilding wax

Using the thread of your choice, secure the tag to your present. Simple. but very effective.  Here's my finished tags






Until next time.
Stay safe stay well.
Debbie.  xx

P.S. I'm "really excited" about my next blog to be published, so keep an eye on this page in a few days!

17 comments:

  1. Very pretty tags, Deb! Very clever using tissue paper and stamped images. Unfortunately the second image doesn't show on my end.
    Now you have teased me about what's next here.
    Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, you're right! It *Was there when I proofed it. Will see if I can fix it. Thank you for saying.

      Delete
  2. Those are so pretty. Best I can do are recycled bits of Christmas card designs. I know - boring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they should be more defined but I'm learning!

      Delete
  3. How very clever, Deb! I seem to have a lack of patience for trying something as lovely as this. Thinking of you and wishing you a happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nellie, sometimes I just have an urge to faff with something a little bit messy.

      Delete
  4. Makes me feel very lazy - as I just fasten parcels with sellotape and a stuck on To and From label from a roll picked up at a boot sale!
    Must try harder!
    Everyone now wondering what your next post will be............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! That's what most people do. I like to fiddle with faffy stuff. Most do the sellotape and tags without any fuss. At the end of the day, it only goes in the bin.

      Delete
  5. What a really clever idea and it looks so pretty. I think its always special when you are given something handmade - turns an ordinary gift into something very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope the Fairy Godmother will like them!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous Post, great idea!! Just saying hello, still in the grip of COVID! hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are super cute and very fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie, sometimes messy crafting is just the thing.

      Delete
  8. I think this is a clever idea and makes a gift more personalised.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete