Friday 22 December 2023

The Winter Solstice and The Deer Mother

Hello Friends!

With the advent of the Winter Solstice, I have been doing a little research which led me to a very interesting discovery of a new to me mythology.

It began when I asked Google to find me the date and time of the Winter Solstice 2023 and I was told it is on Friday 22nd December at 0327. I have learned over the years that the Solstice isn't on a fixed date but falls on or around the 21st of December, varying slightly annually.  This prompted me to ask Google how the exact time and date is calculated, much in the way that Easter is not a fixed feast in the Christian calendar. It's a complicated {well, to me it is complicated} calculation.  I won't go into details for fear of embarrassing myself, but if you are interested you can look here.

While I was pootling about, I stumbled across some interesting articles referring to the mythology of the Deer Mother.  I was immediately pulled in as I have never heard of this mythology.  So what is this mythology?  

The Deer Mother is an antlered female shamanic spirit of Winter in which one of our most beloved traditions of Christmas is founded.  As this unfolds, no explanation of what that tradition is will be needed.

The Legend of the Deer Mother

Once upon a time in the snow covered North of long, dark nights, lived a tribe who honoured the spirit Deer Mother, guardian of wild places and bringer of the light during the darkness. During rituals surrounding the Winter Solstice she would appear to the tribe as they gathered to honour her in a sacred grove, her hooves barely touching the snow.  As she danced her antlers sparkled and snowflakes flowed in intricate patterns about her head.  The tribe knew she brought protection, hope, and fertility with the coming of Spring.



It is said that the Deer Mother’s antlers held a secret hidden star that could guide lost travellers home and that those who glimpsed it were forever changed, their hearts filled with wonder and purpose. Some say that the Northern Lights are but reflections of her celestial antlers, a reminder that magic still exists in the world.

She is said to drive her sleigh across the skies during the longest night, to drive away the darkness and ensure the return of the light.  

Long before we told the story of Siôn Corn, Father Christmas, Santa, or whatever you call the jolly old man in the red suit and white beard, the Deer Mother was racing across our Winter Solstice skies.  How many realise that the sleigh is pulled not by Rudolph but by a female reindeer?  Male reindeer shed their antlers while the does retain theirs.  Siôn Corn's lead reindeer has antlers, and is therefore female.  The herds of reindeer are led in Winter by does and every time we tell stories of Santa and his flying reindeer we are actually telling the story of the ancient Deer Mother of old for it was she who once flew through winter’s longest darkest night with the life-giving light of the sun in her horns.

The legend of the Deer Mother is present in many cultures across Northern Eurpe and Russia.  I have given you a brief glimpse of one, so this Christmas season, on the Winter Solstice, take a moment to remember the winter goddess of old and her magical reindeer on the sacred night when the sun is reborn, look for the Deer Mother flying across starry skies.

May the Deer Mother’s light shine upon you, dear traveler, and may your path be guided by her gentle wisdom.


Until next time
Stay safe stay well
Debbie xx





17 comments:

  1. I love hearing about the Deer Mother flying across the starry skies, Deb. The legend is interesting. Great painting of your interpretation! I always thought the Winter Solstice was a fixed date. My Susan Branch calendar says it is the 21st this year. Have merry days ahead, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The artwork was done a while ago and is coincidental. I've sent you some links by email which highlight the confusion over the dates. tbh, I have no idea which is correct, do you?
      Wishing you and Grayden a lovely Christmas.

      Delete
    2. What a happy coincidence with your painting, Deb! Thank you for sending me links about the Solstice, I'll take a look at them soon. I don't have any idea either!
      Merry Christmas to you, my dear friend!

      Delete
  2. How interesting, Deb. I don't think I have heard of this before, but the image of her is familiar. Lovely artwork you made. It's very pleasing to the eye.
    Happy Winter Solstice~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend. oh, it's an old piece, worked far too small and the detail has suffered. Her face is about the size of a quarter! Solstice Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Well, goodness me - never come across this story before . It's absolutely fascinating - explaining things from way before the bible and Father Christmas.
    Thank you so much for this and your painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, as soon as I found it I just had to look into it, and yes, it pre dates everything we know about Christmas. Happy Winter Solstice!

      Delete
  4. Solstice blessings to you as well. I am so glad that the light will be returning -- slow but sure. We leave for several days with the kidlets so I may not be back on blog much before Christmas. So, I wish you and your family the most beautiful and merriest of Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Solstice blessings to you. HOW I love this story from our dim and distant past and how it is at the roots of our current Father Christmas (and remember he originally dressed in brown or green - wasn't it Coca-Cola who changed his garb to red?) Love your painting too - glad you were inspired.

    Have a lovely Christmas and all the best for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, it was Coke Cola who did that.

      Delete
  6. P.S. Wondering how much this is tied to the Abbot's Bromley Horn Dance too? Remember also the antler head-dresses found at Star Carr?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the more we scratch the surface, the more we find!

      Delete
  7. What a really wonderful blog post and such a magical story. Happy Solstice wishes to you. I really do love your painting - it adds to the wonder of the story.
    Wishing you a Happy Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Solstice blessings to you, this was an interesting read and I like your painting.

    I hope the recent earthquake in Wales didn't trouble you.
    The weather has been so wet and I think we are in for more strong winds too! Yuck!

    Stay safe and warm.

    Taking the opportunity to wish you a Happy Christmas.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jan. No, the earthquake was a ways away. It's blowing a hoolie right now! Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete