Monday 1 March 2021

DYDD GŴYL DEWI SANT

 Hello Friends!

The Shrine of David, St Davids Cathedral.  L to R Saints Patrick, David, Andrew

DYDD GŴYL DEWI SANT HAPUS
Happy Saint David's Day

Thank you for all your lovely comments on my last blog two days ago concerning the local Saint David's Day Eisteddfod, and now, today is March 1st, the day when Welsh people, and people of Welsh heritage, all over the world celebrate the life of our Patron Saint, Dewi Sant, or Saint David.

Very early example of a Celtic Cross at St Non's Chapel {ruins}

Dewi was born around 500 A.D..  He was the son of a Welsh noble woman and nun, Non.  Much of what we know of his life and hagiography was committed to parchment 500 years after his death, in the 11th century by Bishop Rhygyfarch in the book "Life of David" or "Buchedd Dewi".  The "facts" being handed down through the centuries between by the oral traditions of story telling.  His exact age is unknown, and some sources would have us believe he lived to the age of 147 years, but he did live a long life of service dedicated to God.

Although known by the Anglicised name David , his Welsh name is Dewi.


The following account is how I recall what I learned about the history of Dewi Sant in school and as I grew up.  The accompanying images are all important locations in the life of Dewi and his mother, Non.

He was born on the high cliff tops overlooking Saint Bride's Bay during a raging thunderstorm.  Such was Non's pain, her fingers clawed at a stone which rent asunder in sympathy with her agony, and which is now incorporated in a nearby altar.  A healing well sprung up on the spot, and is there to this day.  Its specific healing properties are to heal complaints of the eyesight.


The rock formation, above, is known as Beddau Non, or Non's Grave {although her actual grave is in Brittany} and below is her icon at the rear of the Shrine at St David's Cathedral.


These are the ruins of a mediaeval church built in the field near to the spot of Dewi's birth



And, this is the well that sprung up during the thunderstorm


This shrine to the honour of the Virgin Mary is situated opposite the well


And, nearby is a 20th century chapel, built in 1934 and dedicated to Our Lady and Saint Non.  It is tiny, seating around a dozen or so, and I do think this is my most favourite altar {below}, along with the altar in Trinity Chapel at St David's Cathedral.



An image of Saint Non contained within the chapel


Dewi was a humble man, an early Celtic Christian, of deep faith, who founded a monastic settlement in the valley just below where I live, Glyn Rhossyn, or Vale of Roses.  He lived a simple, frugal life of abstinence, refraining from eating meat or drinking beer, living only on water, bread, salt, and herbs.  The monks tended the land without the use of animals, and they are known to have kept bees.

He spent many hours, up to his neck, in the cold waters of a nearby river, or in the sea, reciting psalms and praying, as a form of penance. 

It is hardly surprising, therefore, to learn he is often known as "The Waterman".

Many miracles of healing are attributed to Dewi, but his best known miracle was when he stood in the centre of a large crowd at the Synod of Brefi, but as he addressed them, the crowd was so great that many could not see him.  He placed a small cloth on the ground which the ground then rose up to form a small hill from which all could see and hear him speak.

At this moment, a white dove came and settled upon his shoulder, and now Dewi is depicted with this in illustrations.

He also healed the failed eyesight of his teacher, the monk Paulinas, who had become totally blind from old age.  I wonder if this has a connection with the eyesight healing properties associated with the healing well?

On his Feast Day, Welsh people proudly wear a leek on their coat. Legend has it that St David suggested Welsh soldiers wear a leek on their helmets to distinguish them from the invading Saxon soldiers who wore similar uniforms. The leek features in the uniforms of Welsh regiments to this day.

He became a renowned preacher, and founded many churches and monasteries across south and west Wales, and Britany, many of which are still in evidence today.

A little known fact is that Dewi, or David, is the only British saint actually born in the country of which he is Patron Saint. 

Upon his death, March 1st circa 589 A.D. he was buried at his own monastery in the Vale of Roses.  His remains were later moved to the mediaeval shrine, built in his name and honour, in St David's Cathedral, which was recently restored in 2012.  I was honoured to be in the congregation for the service of dedication.

The Shrine, restored, adjacent to the Presbytery.  His shrine was so important that Pope Callistus II declared two pilgrimages to St Davids were equal one to Rome, while three pilgrimages to St Davids equalled one to Jerusalem.  {the tomb to the foreground is that of Edmund Tudor, father and brother of Kings}

Every Friday, at noon, within strict lockdown guidelines, the Cathedral broadcasts weekly Prayers from the Shrine which you can find on both their YouTube channel and live on their Facebook page.  In normal times, the prayers are preceded with a short pilgrim's walk from St Davids to Saint Non's Chapel and Well, before returning to the Shrine by midday.  One day, very soon, I hope the freedom to do this again will be returned to us.  For now, it is a focal point of my week from my living room.

There now stands, as was described recently by a travel magazine, a "whopping mediaeval cathedral" on the site where it is widely believed Dewi's settlement originally stood.  The building of the present cathedral began in 1181, and it has a rich and diverse history, full of prosperity and peril, as does the site in general dating back 1500 years to Dewi's monastic days, until we see the building as it stands before us in it's present form.


The last words he spoke to his followers were

“Be joyful, keep the faith, do the little things you have seen me do”.

which are still associated with him today.


Our usual celebrations, as outlined in the blog I published yesterday, will not be happening this year, but there is every hope they will take place as normal next year, as we gather to celebrate our Patron Saint once more.


Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Deborah xo

24 comments:

  1. Have a Very Happy St David's Day and thank you for sharing the photos and story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It already feels odd, for by now I would have been out the door to watch the sending of our greeting to the Senedd from the local Square.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this very informative and interesting post, I learned a lot today. Happy St David's day! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy St David's Day.

    What a wonderful post - so full of interest and history. It is so lovely to see the photos of places associated with St David.

    Thank you so much for compiling this post - I enjoyed it immensely and learnt such a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It barely scratches the surface, and we could sit and debate finer points and discrepancies for days, but the gist is there, and that's what's important today.

      Delete
  4. Happy Saint David's Day! Thank you for this informative piece! I would not know anything about Saint David or your lovely church if you didn't post all of this interesting history. It is a shame Covid 19 is keeping the usual celebrations at bay but I have hope things will eventually return to normal. Take care, Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barb. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I do so get a great deal of joy from sharing my local history. Hugs, Deb

      Delete
  5. Happy Saint David's Day, my friend. Your photos and words are beautiful describing the extraordinary life of David. I am struck by the use of the leek on uniforms of the Welsh regiments to this day. I am praying that next year this time your celebration of this special day will be more normal. Take care. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The daffodil {of which there are diminutive, native varieties, such as the Tenby daff.} is another symbol, adopted later. Daffodil in Welsh is Cenhinen Bedr, which translates as Saint Peter's Leek. Stay safe. Deb xoxo

      Delete
  6. What an interesting history, Deb! I really enjoyed reading about St. David! I’ve never known anything about this until hearing you mention it. Yes! Hoping for better days for observing in 2022! Take care, Deb! Sending hugs across the pond! Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nellie. Yes, Dewi was a man of strong faith who did much to spread the Word. Some might say Dewi was Christianity in Wales, and we do live in one of the oldest established sites, with constant worship for over 1500 years. Hugs, Deb xo

      Delete
  7. This is just beautiful, Deb, and so illuminating. I can see why you love that altar. I do, too. The photos are wonderful and this is all new to me. I am Welsh is part -- my second great grandmother was born there and I'm guessing her parents were Welsh as well. I wish I knew the town or village, only that her father was a farmer, I think. Now I have to check. But seeing a post like this puts a new spin on the people o fmy past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. I am happy you enjoyed reading it. So, fun times for you as you trace your ancestry. I think a lot of Welsh people emigrated in days gone by. Good luck, and I hope you'll share your finds someday.

      Delete
  8. Hope you were able to enjoy St. David's Day. I enjoyed reading your post, which offered me a virtual visit to some of the places I love and miss so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. Yes, very different this year, but some really good programmes on S4C, BBC4 and BBC2 to put a different spin on things. Dechrau Canu Dechrau Canmol, and Cerys Matthews on the Mabinogi were particularly good.

      Delete
  9. We did a pet photoshoot and made Welsh cakes (veganizing the recipe for some of them so I could eat them) to mark the day. We dressed the girls (my Westie, Lilie, and my Mam's CavaTzu, Izabel) up using a Welsh shawl with a daffodil pin, and a little bonnet we made (which isn't quite like the one I used to wear when I was little, but as close as we could make it for it to still work for a dog). Don't know if you saw the photos when I put them on Twitter yesterday, but they'll be going up on my blog in my post this coming Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like fun, I'll have to keep a look out for your blog on Friday, as I'm not on Twitter now, only to publish a link to my blog which I can do remotely without logging into Twitter, and that's it.

      Delete
    2. I did notice the lack of posts from you.

      Delete
  10. What a great post! Not only fascinating history, but beautiful photos to go along with it. And that alter is so wonderful, I keep coming back to it. Thanks for all the work you put into this post, and sorry I'm so late in posting.

    Love and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Yes, there was a lot of work went into this one! Glad it is appreciated. xoxo

      Delete
  11. TQ for a really interesting blog on St David. So many interesting facts I did not know. The pictures of the medieval church and shrines in the green landscape is breath taking. Following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and for following.

      Delete
  12. Thanks Deborah for this post about The Patron Saint of the Welsh, Dewi Sant. There's so much that I learn through the blog posts of others and history is always such an interesting topic. Sorry that you could not celebrate this year at the Annual St David's Day Eisteddfod. Hopefully, next year will see a return to this important event.

    ReplyDelete