Wednesday 31 March 2021

A Song Parody

Hello Friends!

Enter, stage right, rural gardener with fork, wheelbarrow and hoe. Cue music and ๐ŸŽต sing ๐ŸŽถ {tune: The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music}

"My short run of Spring has come to an end I know
The winds and the clouds have told me it's time to go
But deep from the darkening rain clouds
The raindrops do fall pitter pat
And the earth 'neath my feet starts to darken
As raindrops fall and bring the earth to life
And seeds start to grow ~~~
The Garden's Alive with the Sound of Raindrops
A sound we have known for a million years
The rain fills my heart with the sound of growing
My heart wants to pick every flower that grows
My heart wants to dance on the grass, on the cool wet grass
Where the sweet daisies grow
My heart wants to sing with the garden birds
Who are all in the know
My gardening is stopped at the sound of raindrops
But the growing begins
My garden is blessed with the sound of raindrops
And will grow once more ~~~

Yes, my friends, the weather has changed. Although it's been chilly, it's been dry. I have spent hours clearing the brambles, and am making progress. The lawn is mowed for the first time this year. A mini heatwave is forecast for the coming week, we may reach 20℃ which will feel hot when juxtaposed to these cooler days. However, I awoke this morning with my cottage sitting under a heavy blanket of wild Welsh wind whipped grey cloud from horizon to horizon and everything is wet from the rain last night. As I write, patches of blue sky emerge, fighting their way, stoically, through the clouds, but rain is winning the battle ~ a double edged sword ~ for we need the rain to swell and nourish the seeds into growth, but so will grow the weeds, and although, when I next return to the garden, it will again be weed covered, for they will have grasped their opportunity and already started to fill in the dark, bare ground that I have spent days clearing ~~~
~~~"A Gardener's Work is Never Done"~~~

Won't it be wonderful to see Red Kites hovering over my cottage again? I took this one a few years ago.

A few photos of what's flowering right now, or preparing to make it's return in a few weeks.










Happily, my favourite Pulsitilla has reappeared again this year





Finally, my Rosa Rugosa was getting very sparse on the bottom, and no flowers until you got to the top, over six feet tall, with lots of leaves in the middle and few flowers, so a few months ago, I hard pruned it back by half, chopping off the top completely. So, I am delighted to show you that, all along the lower stems, shoots, and lovely strong ones at that, have begun to appear. I am hoping, as any gardener always hopes, that the Summer months will bring a good display of flowers at a much better height for viewing and sniffing.



Until next time
Stay Safe, Stay Well

11 comments:

  1. I know how much work a garden is, I had an allotment for years and it left almost no time for other hobbies. Glad things are starting to grow again, even if some are 'weeds', nature is finding its way. I hope you get the good weather you need to make it all as you want it to be. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need the right weather, and to not be so tired, then I can crack on, and it will come together, I hope. As we get older, it needs to be easier not harder!
      Stay safe my friend.

      Delete
  2. We need rain, too -- and did get some last night -- but it's not quite so warm here as where you are, so that makes an impact. I haven't done much in the garden yet because March is so untrustworthy (and April can be a bit, too). I'll need to do more yard clean-up and weeding, too. Most things are in pots so I can move them north in the summer but there's always something in the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heatwave never came for us, we remained under damp Welsh fog! Sometimes I wish I only had half the land so I could spend less time working and more time enjoying it.

      Delete
  3. A lovely poem on rain :) You have been working hard in the garden and I love seeing the flowers you have. Treasure looks very happy in amongst the Lesser Celandine. Still hot and sunny here today - seems very unseasonal!! But colder from tomorrow. Stay safe and well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just one of those things that happened. Sadly, not working hard enough as self isolation has taken it's toll on my fitness. Yes, Treasure snuck out for his photo to be taken. We never did get the heat this time around.

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear the rains are coming before the heat, Deb. Spring is such a busy time for the gardener. Your blossoms are lovely. Hard cutting of roses is certainly needed, but scary. I did the same to mine and they now are taking their sweet time recovering. Love your Sound of Music rendition! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I have learned about roses is that for the most part, despite their delicate blooms and fragrances, they're jolly hardy, and tough as old boots, often responding well to a very hard pruning. xoxo

      Delete
  5. You are much more advanced than we are. We are just seeing green shoots of grass growing! Here on the coast of Maine we are dealing with mud season. Standing water everywhere from torrential rains all night. Your flowers are so pretty! A definite mood enhancer! Thanks for sharing!๐Ÿ’–

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely reading about a garden and, at times, I do miss that we no longer have our own since we live in a residential apt. That said, there is a flower garden nearby along the river bank which is tended by a couple of neighbors, so I can enjoy it without any effort. Your flowers are cheerful and hopefully the nice weather will return. Ours is rainy now, but thankfully not too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your photos, as always. It was nice to see Treasure again. I do believe yellow is the perfect color for Treasure. I hope you don't lose all the work you have done to weeds...but we all know how tenacious weeds are.

    ReplyDelete