Friday 2 April 2021

Easter Baking

Hello Friends!

Easter heralds the start of many things, new beginnings, and for some the easing of lockdown so that a socially distanced and responsible gathering of friends outside can happen as the weather {hopefully}  improves, although we are getting a properly Arctic blast for Easter Monday.


image source: Wikipedia

I grew up with the tradition of Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday, we always had them toasted as a breakfast treat. I used the Doves Farm recipe this year, which was not without it's problems.  The dough rose absolutely perfectly, it could not have been better.

Normally, I make my crosses using marzipan.  However, not having any to hand, I followed the flour and water paste method in the recipe. Despite my best attempt, after baking, the crosses had disappeared entirely, so I panicked!  Hot Cross Buns without a cross are just buns.  Oh, dear.  Then I suddenly remembered seeing someone make water icing and using that.  So, that's what I did.  I made a thick drizzle and although not perfect by any means, my Hot Cross Buns now have crosses.

Cross~less buns, hot from the oven

and after the iced crosses are drizzled on



Probably my best effort.

I did try one, for quality control purposes, you understand, hot from the oven, before the crosses were added, but my favourite way to eat them is lightly toasted and thickly slathered in unsalted Welsh butter.  Deee~licious, even if a little rustic looking.




When is a Hot Cross Bun not a Hot Cross Bun?
When it's scone {gone}


I didn't bake a huge amount, just enough for me for the weekend, but happily shared with a neighbour. It was lovely to see her for the first time in oh! so many months, and have a socially distanced doorstep visit, so much missed, although we speak often on the phone.

Here's my chocolate and vanilla Easter Egg Cake, rich, dark, chocolatey goodness indeed.  One of my favourite things to bake for Easter Day Afternoon Tea.  I now have three killer ingredients, secret of course, for my chocolate cake!


With the weather being decidedly chilly, I won't be risking any gardening for a few days, and Easter Monday is predicted to bring a cold, Arctic blast to us, so later today I shall be doing more baking, keeping warm and snug in my cosy cottage kitchen baking Irish Soda Bread and Cherry Scones {which are new to me}.  I'll let you know how I get on, as scones are not my forte.

Until next time
Stay Safe, Stay Well
Have a Joyful, Blessed Easter Day

19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness your cake looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your cake and buns look fabulous, you made my mouth water! We're expecting bad weather here, too, perhaps I will make a cake tomorrow. You have inspired me! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. All simple recipes, but they taste as good as fancy confections when home baked with love.

      Delete
  3. The hot cross buns look delicious as does the Easter Egg Cake!!! I could eat the lot! I like the buns toasted too. This year we have part baked some of the hot cross buns and frozen them. Will be interesting to see what they are like when we use them and finish the baking. Stay safe and well and a Happy and Blessed Easter to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Who knows, one day you might be able to head down this way and I will bake you one of your own. For Timothy from Treasure! Oh, I do want to know all about the part baking.

      Delete
  4. Your Easter cake sure gets my attention, Deb, (with secret ingredients I will not ask) and your hot cross buns look delicious! Stay safe and enjoy a beautiful Easter, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Maybe not secret, but playing with different brands and ingredients and discovering some combinations work better than others. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh, it all looks so yummy! Happy Easter~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love baking only problem is there is just me to eat it since kids have left home and my husband past away. Must ask where did you get your cottage mug from. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Just me to eat it all too, so freezer gets a top up. The mug is by author and illustrator Susan Branch. If you live in the UK, try Amazon. They are now quite limited availability.

      Delete
    2. I do, thanks I will. Heather

      Delete
    3. I just checked Amazon, they are now £10 per mug cheaper than I paid for my four!

      Delete
  7. I took the day off from my computer, so I send belated Easter greetings and hope your day was wonderful. I've never had a hot cross bun -- they look delicious and the cherry scones sound great, too. Keep us posted on your results. (Gorgeous cake, just gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day, thank you, Jeanie, although not without a downside that I'll share next time. I shouldn't blow my own trumpet, but that cake is delicious indeed.

      Delete
  8. I never really liked hot cross buns as I can’t stand candied peel or marzipan but if you leave those out then I’ll no doubt enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love marzipan, and although I never cared for candied peel, since I started using the proper kind, as opposed to the pre chopped cheap and nasty sort in a plastic tub, my appreciation for it has grown. That's the benefit of making your own, you can add or leave out things you enjoy or dislike.

      Delete
  9. Glad you were able to figure out a way to have crosses on your hot cross buns after all, and enjoyed a socially distanced Easter get-together with your neighbour.

    ReplyDelete