Tuesday 27 April 2021

Fun in the Fresh Air

Hello Friends!

Before we step outside for some fun in the fresh air, let's get the wildlife safety business end of things out of the way.  

I don't want to get all preachy, but it's important information. Carelessly discarded face protection causes severe and painful harm to wildlife.  If you use disposable face masks, please dispose of them responsibly.  This means taking them home to dispose of properly, and must include cutting those elastic straps before binning them, much in the same way you responsibly chop up four or six pack plastic holders.  Face masks that are being discarded in the wild or on the street can not only spread the virus, but  without the straps being cut pose a very serious and dangerous threat to wildlife that can get tangled in them.  

There's just so much to do if you enjoy the great outdoors.  As lockdown eases and things slowly reopen, just be respectful, be mindful of current guidelines; remember to phone ahead to see if you need to book even if it's only a car parking space, or if your chosen place is open; and continue to practice Hands; Face; Space.

Me, I'm a walker, and there are plenty of walks to take, from short circular ones of a mile or so that can be done in well under thirty minutes, to longer, all day hikes or half day rambles.  You can chose from uneven coast paths to smoothly paved roads, or half hidden byways and secret trails.  There's sea side and rugged hills, wide open moorland and small wooded valleys.  Just take your pick.  It's now recommended you carry hand sanitiser to use if you have to touch any gates or handles while out and about.  And please, take only photographs, leave only footprints.  Take your litter home.

The other activity I enjoy, which goes well with walking, as you know, is photography.  This is me, with my ridiculously long legs, taking a photo of the evening sun {behind me} turning the land to gold.

Often, as I walk along, I see others enjoying what the countryside has to offer, and we greet each other, total strangers, with a cheery "Hello!" as we pass each other on our travels.  Now, of course, we step to the side, socially distanced, and seldom stop to chat aimiably as we might have done pre pandemic, to exchange a few polite comments on the weather, or as to what we've seen, or exchanging recommendations of things to look out for on our bimbles. 

An early morning walk and many are out exercising their doggy pals before the beach gets crowded with families who want to sit on the beach, explore rock pools, build sandcastles, or just sit and enjoy the view on a hot, summer day while eating ice cream.

 


or even go for a quick dip in the surf ~ brrrrr! Rather him than me.


or, you might prefer to pootle along on the bus, watching the countryside roll by the window


 
looking at a patchwork of prettily painted cottages, row on row

Why not visit an ancient castle, the birthplace of a future King, steeped in history at the historic market town of Pembroke?


Maybe you'd prefer something much more adventurous, such as a professionally guided Coasteering expedition!!  Not for the faint hearted, and do not do this alone or without proper supervision.  Do you see the jumper?  A lucky catch on my part, but I prefer to look at the geology than sit and watch the brave souls plummet.


or maybe you'd rather be on the water, paddling along at a leisurely pace in a kayak?


Perhaps you'd enjoy a day's sailing instead?



or to hop aboard an early morning fishing boat, out to sea, to try to catch your supper?  


Why, you can even go paragliding in a motorised little seat, if you are brave enough, of course.


Whatever you enjoy, there's always something for everyone to get out and have some fun in the fresh air.

Until next time
Stay Safe, Stay Well


17 comments:

  1. Deb, I don't know how I would have kept my wits about me without the outdoor walking adventures in our town. Though we've had to change our circuits over this pandemic, they are all lovely and afford time in the beautiful outdoors. You have pointed out very good thoughts about respecting each other as we continue to stay safe. Recently we had a disposable mask on the road by our mailbox. I reluctantly picked it up and headed to the trash can. I should have cut the elastic, but was ready to wash my hands quickly. My goodness your area is blessed with such beauty! I adore all the photos, but the sailboat ones are gorgeous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; the countryside walks keep us sane, Martha Ellen! I often say I walk more for my soul than I do for my body.
      You were incredibly brave! I would have picked it up in a polybag over my hand, then turned inside out over the mask {if that makes sense} and, even though it's the right thing to do, I would have binned it like that without cutting the straps, or better yet, if possible, burned it. It's a very different thing cutting your own mask straps! Stay safe, my friend xoxo

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos, and I'm with you on getting out and enjoying the fresh air. You have some great places to visit. Here, too, people just throw their masks onto the ground, or hang them in trees, so stupid! I always have hand sanitizer and spare masks with me, and have done since Corona reared its ugly head. Have a great weekend! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. I get so mad at people who don't honour the Country Code. We also see little bags of "doggy doo" hanging on trees. What is wrong with people? Thank goodness most of us respect what we have, and each other. I now have a little cross body bag with all my Covid protection bits and bobs in it so they're easy to find. Stay safe!

      Delete
  3. You have so many beautiful ares to explore over there in the west. Here it's just fields!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you have hares in those fields, which makes me quite envious. I long to see hares in the wild.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post and photos and was so pleased to see you had brought attention to discarding masks where it can harm wildlife. Pembrokeshire looks so beautiful and the castle looks good. I enjoy studying the geology too. Looks interesting where you live! Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I hope people will understand and cut up the elastics. The castle is lovely, birthplace of Henry VII, as you know the first Tudor monarch. It was near Mum's nursing home. There's some fascinating striations in that photo. Stay safe my friend.

      Delete
  5. When we are out for a walk I take plastic gloves o use when opening gates. We've had all our jabs now but it will ne a while before we venture anywhere crowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking in wide open space is one thing, but as our cafes and such open, it's going to be a long, long time before I even think about a coffee out.

      Delete
  6. I love walking too and lately I have been taking a litter picker and a council waste bag to clear up as I go. There are so many masks around amongst other things. Sadly since covid it has got worse due to so many people who do not normally walk going out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's incredibly thoughtful of you, but do be careful picking up litter. I agree, the numbers out walking have increased, so it stands to reason other associated things will increase exponentially.

      Delete
  7. Walking for me - I'm a landlubber! So many places to explore now we're across the county border.

    The last time we were at Pembroke Castle, it was for an Antiques Roadshow event.

    We don't have disposable masks, but have medical grade ones (which can stand gentle washing so are reusable). I hate to see discarded masks - idle so and so's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on being a landlubber, although we used to own a boat trip company and in my younger days I spent more time at sea, which I loved doing. You'd never catch me jumping off cliffs, or taking to the sky on a little motorised seat with a sail!

      Delete
  8. I think they should hire you as the travel influencer for your region. It really is so beautiful -- nature is clearly doing its thing in bringing beauty to your area. It's nice that there are so many walks. I love that you are close to both beach and town and that is much to do. You are so right about the masks. I hate it when I see a discarded one. I hadn't thought about the straps not being cut, though. That's good to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me smile. The natural beauty brings people in all on it's own doing. I tell you, it is disturbing and frightening to see some of the images of wildlife horrifically trapped and painfully injured by discarded masks. Hidden victims of the pandemic.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you posted that reminder about masks and litter, and wish more people would consider it.

    The part of Wales I'm in has some wonderful places to walk too (I'm at the foot of the black mountains). Though I'm not getting to enjoy them much right now.

    ReplyDelete