Sunday 7 March 2021

Pretty as a Picture

 Hello Friends!

The other day, I somehow found myself sifting through the contents of a long forgotten tin sitting on a long forgotten corner on a long forgotten shelf in the garage {which is now more of a garden shed than a garage as I don't drive}, and look what I found!  Of course, the seeds will no longer be viable, for these are dated mid 1970's, but the last hands to touch these were my dear Daddy, who loved to garden from plot to plate in his spare time.  

They certainly knew how to make their seed packets look so pretty and inviting back then.


Even the instructions are illustrated prettily




Even the wording is written more like you are being spoken to directly, rather than a short list of instructions, or worse, the packets that only have graphs and guesswork.






They even come with instructions to dry the herbs!






The packets are a little bit dusty and marked, but I will try to gently clean them off to use in some project, as yet to be determined!

Soon I will be starting to sow my seeds for this year's food, but the packets are nowhere near as pretty!

Photos may give a more accurate and instant impression of the contents, and are boldly bright and beautiful, but I know which ones I prefer.


I had my vegetable seeds order back in early February.  When it arrived, I realised I'd forgotten to order my annuals, so I put in a small order for those, and these are what I ordered.  However, when this arrived last week, I immediately realised I have forgotten my pansies and borage seeds.  Heigh ho!  

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Deborah xo 

24 comments:

  1. What a precious find. I am glad you are going to create something special with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you, my Friend, I like the old seed packets much more than the modern ones. What a wonderful find and what memories they had to bring for you. I hope they were lots of good memories. I am sure you will enjoy the seed packets, no matter how you decide to use them. Just remember to show us. ;-)

    Love and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best, but I've got so many other things to do first!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Deb! What a treasure! Lovely seed packets! There seems to always be something that I omit from that list....remember it just as I push “send!”:-) You will have some beautiful flowers, regardless. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I'm glad I'm not the only one, Nellie! Just going to do without them now.

      Delete
  4. Deb, the old seed packets are lovely works of art. You must not give up on the seeds in them. Did you know that there have been seeds found in the Pyramids that are viable! You may or may not find that to be true, but it would be fun to find out. Then I would have to make something out of the lovely packets. Have a happy day, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know I was thinking about the viability of those ancient Egyptian seeds. I did sow some ten year old seeds last year, they took a while but eventually a few, not many, did germinate.

      Delete
  5. That was a lovely find, the packets are beautiful! Have a great Sunday, take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your weekend is going well!

      Delete
    2. Beautiful packets. So fun to discover something from the past and especially when it’s from a parent 😊 And yes, show us how you use them.
      Blessings
      Gert

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful find. Those vintage seed packets are SO artistic and beautiful and great to read all the instructions too! I would try and plant a few - they may well surprise you and germinate! :)

    As you say so much nicer than the bright photos on today's!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much prettier, and yes, I think I will try to plant a few, nothing to lose at all.

      Delete
  7. These packets are exquisite. They would be the perfect collection for a collage for a garden room or printing and laminating the labels for garden markers. They're so beautiful -- I'm hopeful you can use them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you can save and use those packets - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those earlier seed packets too. We always forget something don't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying. I now have a list started for when I next order.

      Delete
  10. Hello Deb,
    What is the name of the flower on top in the middle of your photograph? Busy time of the year, as Spring is almost here! I have 🐝 been busy Spring cleaning and changing linens.
    Hugs,
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean my header photo? If so, there's an explanation in the sidebar. Otherwise, I'm not sure which one you mean. Yes, it's that Spring cleaning time again!

      Delete
  11. Thank you for stopping by! Hopefully, there will be photos soon of plantlets and then flowers, once the frosts have passed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely old seed packets! They would look good in a collage to hang where you can see to bring back memories of your Dad, good ones I'm sure. You never know about those old seeds!Nature has amazing survival abilities.Waiting to see pics of your sprouted seeds and plants later on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barb. No, you never know, only compost and a few minutes and who knows?

      Delete