Friday 12 March 2021

A Tale of a Hundred Daffodils

Hello Friends!

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
and twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not be but gay,
in such a jocund company:
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
what wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

How could I write about daffodils and not include William Wordsworth's most famous poem?  What a sight he must have seen before him to inspire such moving and lasting imagery? 

The daffodil is the official flower of Wales, and is often worn by Welsh men, women, and children on March 1st, Saint David's Day, instead of the more pungent and less fragrant leek, also an emblem of Welsh nationality. 

Here is an amusing tale of what started out as just thirty daffodil bulbs that went forth and multiplied.  I didn't find it amusing as it unfolded, quite the opposite, but now I look back and I laugh.

Once upon a long, long time ago, in another lifetime, I lived in a tiny cottage overlooking a pretty bay and fishing harbour.  I knew I would not live there forever, so when I bought thirty Spring flowering daffodil bulbs, I planted them up in pots.  The flowered well and brought me much joy.


Time passed, and the day came when I had to move away, so I brought the pots of daffodils a few miles down the road to my parents cottage for them to plant out in their garden, and I went away.  I went away for four years, and during the Spring following my return, I was utterly amazed how the daffodils had multiplied.  They now filled the borders around the cottage making a delightfully colourful springtime display.


There was, however, one problem.

We all know how messy daffodils get once they have flowered and are dying back.  That was the rub.  There were, by now, so many daffodils that for weeks on end it all looked such a mess.  So, my mother and I came up with a plan.  


It was genius! Or so we thought.  I'd dig up all the bulbs from the borders, dry them off, store until September, then we'd pot them up into tubs of fresh compost that could then be put in the borders while in flower during early and mid Spring, and moved out of the way, out of sight, to die back in their unsightly manner, keeping the borders fresh and pretty.


I spent three days of back breaking work, digging out bulbs that, by now, had gone deep into the ground. We had over 300 bulbs!  I put them to dry, then stored away until needed.  


We bought the tubs; we bought bags and bags of compost.  Time passed, and we were ready to plant up the pots.


We set our pots up, began filling them with compost, and went to fetch the bulbs from the garden shed.  But wait! Where are the bulbs?  What has happened? Not a bulb to be found!  Not even an empty sack in which they were stored.  What had happened to the bulbs?


We puzzled for ages, not realising that there was a rather large square of freshly dug soil in a corner of the garden.  When my father came home, we asked him if he knew anything about the missing bulbs, and to our dismay he cheerfully told us that, the previous day, he'd only gone and dug them back in, they were under all that freshly turned soil.

You can go off people, and you can go off daffodils!  My father thought it was funny; he and I had words.  Not for the first, nor the last time over gardening differences of opinion.


I got over it, and the daffodils flourished in their new home, but over the years they multiplied even more, so I dug them up and gave them away.  There's only so many daffodils a small garden can hold, after all. 


Probably the prettiest are the double ones, but sadly they tend to succumb to the bad, Spring storms that prevail during March, right as they begin to flower, so this year, with advance warning of an impending week of wild, wet and windy Welsh weather, I picked them and brought them in, in tight bud.  If you've scrolled this far, you've seen their progress, but, sadly, this was the scene that greeted me this morning. 



I guess they keep on growing and getting heavier after they've opened and keep on drinking up the water.  So sad to see their slender stems bent over with the weight, but it is what it is, and short of wiring them there's very little I can do to prevent this happening.

At least I've had a few days enJOYment from them, while yet another week of Spring storms lashed our coast from Tuesday until Sunday.



For those of you who don't know, the stoneware jug is over seventy years old and was a gift from my dear mother to  her mother.  It is now in my care, and I have always loved this jug, even more so now.  As a child, I loved to see it on a table filled with daffodils which seem to look so well in it.  I named it the Daffodil Jug, and it is known by that name to this day.


Until next time
Stay safe and stay well.

25 comments:

  1. How strange that the daffs collapsed but lovely photos when they were upright.
    (I was trying to see the book titles!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens all the time when they are left outside, and I thought it was the rain and wind, but now I think it might be the weight of the bloom and too slender a stem.

      Delete
  2. That is my favorite poem. Ta!

    Love the photos and your story about the missing bulbs though am sure it wasn't so funny at the time.

    Perhaps if the droopy daffs were in a taller vase, the rim of the vase would support the bloooms?

    When I was a child, my mother would put a few drops of ink into the water our daffodils were in. In the course of a couple of days, the edges of the flower petals would turn blue-green - like magic!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion of a different vase. I have tried many different ones over the years with no success. I think the blooms are just too heavy. Sad.

      Delete
  3. Another lovely post with beautiful photos :) I love the Daffodil poem by Wordsworth - it really is lovely. I did find your story amusing although I can just imagine how you felt at the time! Pleased you kept some of the daffodils they are very beautiful but such a shame the stems have bent. Have you ever thought of trying to press some of the flowers (I know pressing daffodil shape is not easy!) but it would make a lovely collage. I really do like your "daffodil jug" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I suppose if I dismantled the blooms they might press more easily, but would be far too bulky otherwise, I'm sure. They'd probably be very pretty, a delicate, translucent yellow. I haven't pressed flowers in decades now.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading Wordworth's poem so much Deb. It is one of my favorites of his. Your daffodils are gorgeous! And so lovely in the Daffodil Jug--such a wonderful treasure to fill. When there is more than one gardener working in a garden strange things are bound to happen. I'm sure the memory is happier for you now. I cut a dozen daffodils from our garden this afternoon. There is nothing prettier than the humble daffodil! Have a great weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Yes, Daddy and I would often exchange the kind of look that needed no words! We did make a good team, despite the occasional difference of opinion. As long as we had tea and cake, we were fine. So pleased you have some daffodils to cut today. xoxo

      Delete
  5. You have such lovely posts, Deb! I was unaware that the daffodil was the official flower of Wales! These that you have shared are lovely, and I was amused at the story of your father planting the bulbs a day ahead of when you searched for them! Sending happy weekend wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nellie, yes, the timing of the replanting of the bulbs is ironic indeed. Glad I can laugh about it now!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post, happy and cheerful, just like daffodils! Thanks for brightening my day. Ours are just now breaking through the ground. I have lots that need thinning out. I hope to get some of them done this Spring. I'm so sorry the fell over. But I am glad you got to enjoy them in the Daffodil jug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dearest friend. I have so few daffies left now that I need to buy more! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Of course you had to include that poem... It's a beautiful and appropriate one.

    I have to laugh at the daffodil story, though I can see why you didn't find it funny at the time.

    I'm glad you got to enjoy a few days of daffodils in the daffodil jug. I don't have a dedicated daffodil jug, but I did get to enjoy some in a basic vase for several days. They lasted a little over a week actually. There's a photo of them (two if you count the shot where they appear beside the plate containing my first attempt at making vegan Welsh cakes) in the post I told you about with the photos of the dogs in Welsh costumes over on my blog. I'm not sure if you have a link to my blog, come to think of it. If you don't and would like one, let me know and I'll post that. I'd do so anyhow, but I think you don't generally approve comments with links in.

    I think your storm showed up with us on Wednesday. The wind was impressive, and the rain was heavy enough that I was soaked to the skin just from a quick trip in to the yard with the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes that storm whiplashed a lot of us, and we've got another one right now, it's been a long old week of wind and rain in Wales. I must look for your blog. I will be writing soon about Welsh costume as I found a collection of postcards from across Wales.

      Delete
  8. Yes it has. Hope the storm's not doing too much damage in your area.

    I look forward to reading that post about the Welsh costumes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to struggle to find subjects to write about in lockdown!

      Delete
  9. P.S. publishing this separately in case you'd rather not approve it, but my blog is Zigler News, and the post in question can be found here: http://ziglernews.blogspot.com/2021/03/baking-stdavidsday-amwatching-knitting.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful daffodils, and a funny story! But I suppose it wasn't so funny when it happened! All that work for nothing....Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it wasn't funny when it happened, and I went off daffodils for a very long time, but all's well now! Have a lovely weekend, my friend.

      Delete
  11. It's a perfect jug for daffodils and I'm glad you still have it in the family. I love the story. He thought he was doing a good deed! (And was, in a way. But I get your point.) I wish my daffs would multiply -- they don't seem to and I've had them a long while. Ah well, at least the ones I have still come up. I should buy more bulbs this fall. I do plant my bulb gardens in the ground and that's always fun.

    For the ones that droop and have a bend so they'll never stand -- cut them at the bend and put them in a shorter vase -- you'll probably still get some more life out of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. I have now resolved the issue. Cutting and a shorter vase didn't work, so I secured all the heads with twine and will share a photo of the solution soon.

      Delete
  12. This is why I plant mini daffodils in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shortly, I'll be sharing my solution, which makes them all worthwhile now I know what to do.

      Delete
  13. The daffodil poem was certainly a great start to this post. But, the story about the multiplying daffodils was funny to read, but not so about how after all your hard work, your father's solution made it seem for naught. The daffodil is always such a cheerful harbinger of spring and I wish we had some around now, but it is another cold and windy day so they won't be blooming here for some time to come. I may just see if the local grocery store has some blooms because after seeing all your photos they would be just the thing to brighten the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daffodils always cheer up the dull days of late Winter and early Spring.

      Delete