Saturday 26 September 2020

Autumn Is Here

Hello Friends!

I do sometimes state the obvious in my choice of titles, don't I, and unless you live in the southern hemisphere, then Autumn is most definitely here.

This font is called Architect's Daughter. I am not sure how readable it is, but as I am still playing with fonts I'll give it a go, although I very much favour the last one, Eagle Lake. I wish I knew how to change the fonts on the headers and sidebars of the template though.

The official, astrological start of Autumn was barely days upon us when we had our first taste of late Autumnal weather.  We've had two or three days now of the kind of unpredictable weather that changes within minutes, and have had horrible, short, sharp hailstone showers that I'm glad I was not caught out in!

From this {short video which I hope will work for you}

To this

to this

In minutes.  It's ridiculous.

I have done a little decorating for Autumn. I think it always helps cheer me up as the stormy days and longer nights come in.  I don't have a lot of Autumn decorations, but this Summer, hidden away in the attic, I found a big box of all sorts of pine cones I've gathered over the years.  They've all been thoroughly bleached and oven baked to make sure they are bug and disease free, and might be why they've kept so fresh for so long too.

If you knew how much I love pinecones, you'll know I could barely contain my excitement.  Just look at them!

There are teasels, walnuts, a few conkers, and maybe an acorn or two

Lots of different pine cones, all deliciously Fibonacci and so many shades of brown!

Then, there are these, my pride and joy, the Big Ones, which I've photographed alongside a medium jar Yankee Candle for size comparison, I guess they are around ten inches tall.


Little beauties, aren't they, although not really so little?

I have a little, antique, Deacon's bench in my hall, and have added some artificial sunflowers {the most realistic ones I could find} and some felt, crochet and pottery gourds.


I took the Autumn patterned fabric cloth away, it made it too cluttered.  I will use it elsewhere.

I also like to bring out books that are seasonally themed, and found this lovely one on my shelves, which covers all the seasons, so is aptly named, The Seasons. It is a charming anthology of {mostly} poetry with scenes of a bucolic nature on every page.  Some are in delicate colour, most are monochromatic.  









We'll take a browse through some of my other Autumn themed books in the coming weeks.

Since I had the gas fire taken out, the grate has looked rather bare and unwelcoming, so I've filled it with pinecones.  It looks so much better, and I do believe The Pretty Baa Lambs approve. 


Some individual photos of some of the more interesting pine cones I have collected.




Although not specifically autumnal, I found this little cup and two tiny saucer-like plates in a charity shop a good while ago, for just 50 pence. The colours and leaf pattern just say Autumn to me.



For fans of the Great British Bake Off, or Great British Baking Show as it's known across the Pond, isn't it great to have it back on our screens? Finally, a small sense of normality, and what a sacrifice they all made, being locked away for the duration of the filming.  I feel like dancing, and already disagree with the judges! 

Miss Emily E Claire and Beatrice Badger are so happy, they baked their own cake to celebrate.  



I confess, I am very fond of Emily, I rather fancy myself in that sweet, window pane check dress, apron and mob cap!  The little board is a plaque that belonged to my Grandmother, a gift from one of her sisters.  I come from a long line of good cooks!

By now, I am sure you've all heard the joyous news from Buckingham Palace that Princess Eugenie and her husband, Mr Jack Brooksbank are expecting their first child in the New Year.  Finally, some good news to hear, and to look forward to.

Until next time
Stay Safe, Stay Well
Deborah xo

20 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, what a nice post! Love all the pictures you showed to bring us into an autumn feeling. You sure had some rough weather, that was a fun video with the hailstones. Your deacon's bench is beautiful, too, and looks wonderful with the sunflowers. You certainly have a lot of teazels and pine-cones. I have some, too, but not as many as you. It used to be a possibility to change the fonts for headings and so on but I don't think it i still possible with new Blogger. It was over design -theme- customise - advanced. They have reduced the possibilities a lot. Glad you are having fun playing with fonts. These days I need fonts which are clear and simple as I can't see well, but the main thing is that I still can see enough! And your little Emily is sooooooooooo sweet. Have a wonderful weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. Yes, I have a lot of pinecones; over many years, I've popped them in my pockets on long walks in the countryside, and I always carry a small bag for stowing my treasures while out and about. I agree, a simple, clean font is best! Stay safe, Deb

      Delete
  2. Your whole post is full of happiness, Deb. I adore your old deacon's bench decorated so lovely with happy sunflowers and pumpkins. Your video with hail and then the gorgeous blue skies certainly shows how quickly weather can change. Emily and Beatrice are darling figurines. Of course, the pinecone gifts from nature are so beautiful and intricately detailed. I like how you placed them in the grate. Along with the board saying this pretty much sums us a very autumnal cozy post. Happy Autumn, my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. The weather is currently anything but predictable. More figurines in upcoming blogs I have planned! I have a sneaky feeling the pinecones will stay in the grate all year round now. Deb xoxo

      Delete
  3. What a lovely autumnal post which cheered me up no end. The video works fine! I love your collection of pine cones and teasels etc. I have some pine cones on sticks (bought sadly but the cones are real) together with some woven willow balls and other decorations made by carving wood in a brass jug on the fireplace. The sunflowers are cheering too.

    Love Beatrice Badger and little Emily. Happy Autumn to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ragged Robin. Glad to hear the video works, one can never be sure until someone has tried it! Here's to a lovely, happy Autumn indeed.

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely post, Deb! It appears that you are definitely ready for the new season! Sending you happy, autumn hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nellie. I am always ready for Autumn days. My favourite season of them all. Hugs xo

      Delete
  5. The season changed so abruptly didn't it. Your post is full of 'hygge'.
    I was a late convert to Bake Off, but love it now. There were a few disasters this week weren't there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we never had a proper Summer, I didn't really notice it changing. Oh, Bake Off almost had Cakegate in the first episode, didn't it?

      Delete
  6. Oh, what a delightful post! And three cheers for the GBBS. I love it! I don't decorate much at the lake but at home I do and will start that when I get back tomorrow. (Up here just some pumpkins and sunflowers -- it's already sort of autumnal just with the wood.) I loved all you shared -- your pine cones are pretty and I really like the decorating with seasonal books. I do that at Christmas but never think to in the fall.

    Just a short thank you for all your visits and wonderful comments, which I'd love to answer personally! Your presence there always means such a lot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. I love your blog, it's so welcoming. You are blessed to have Nature's decorations as your wood changes colour. Our leaves are long gone, fallen victim to two early Autumn storms, salt laden winds, and many weeks without rain.

      Delete
  7. As another "Beatrice" at least in my online blogger alias, I was happy to see Beatrice Badger with that baked cake. Pine cones are wonderful in that there are so many varieties and sizes, all free for the gathering. A few weeks ago, I picked up a small group, baked them and plan to create a holiday wrath for our apt entry, a first for me after the cork wreath last year. I have put out the fall scarecrow decos outside the apt door along with some mini pumpkins and leaves and these cheeer me every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beatrice. Yes, if I can find my old grapevine base, I hope to make a door wreath too. Goodness only knows I've got the pinecones for it!

      Delete
  8. Oh, Deb there is so much to enjoy and love about this post. You are bringing Autumn in a special way at your cottage. The book is wonderful. It's a treasure. I like the Deacon's bench better without the fabric, too. The way you have it is just right. The pinecones and other treasures are perfect for the grate. I'd keep them in there all year round, too. What a great collection of interesting pinecones. Some of them I have never seen before. You must have had such pleasure collecting them from all over. Keep them out and show them off more often. The figurines are adorable. There is something so happy and innocent about them.

    The hail video was something else. Your weather can really change in a moment, can't it? I wish you lovely Autumn days. I think your tea cup and saucer says "Autumn", too. The colors are just right for a spicy pumpkin tea. I admit I keep looking at the book. My bookworm heart just can't take my eyes off it.
    Love and hugs,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend, and Thank You. I love my figurines, oh! the times I have nearly sold them, and the times I've cursed dusting them, but then they come into their own and I am happy I kept them. So glad the video worked, and there will be more books following soon.
      Love to my Soul Sister, Deb xoxo

      Delete
  9. What a fun and cheerful Autumn post! I loved getting to watch the video of the hailstorm, and your decorations sound perfect for the season. I love that you have all those pinecones you can decorate with. I'd love it if my decoration stash contained even a portion of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. Oh, those pinecones represent years of gathering, just a few here and there. I love them!

      Delete
  10. You have quite a lovely collection of pinecones, Deb! That book looks like a good one to peruse while sipping on a hot cuppa. Our weather is sometimes that unpredictable, as well. And I love your sweet "autumn" cup and saucer. Such a deal!

    Btw, if you go to your settings and click Theme, then the orange CUSTOMIZE button, scroll down to Advanced, click the down arrow, then click the down arrow within that section you'll see a drop down menu. Scroll down and pick the element you want to work on. They have made things WAY more trouble and I hate it, but such as it is. Take care and have a lovely week! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. Yes, it is a lovely book, and I was lucky to find it.
      I did find my way into Advanced Settings, so when I have time I shall work on it, but it doesn't offer the same wide variety of fonts as the main body text does. I suppose it is what it is.

      Delete