Thursday 17 September 2020

Facing up to Face Masks

Hello Friends!

It's a sign of the times, I haven't been out since my last trip to the hair dresser in early March, the time is here that I must gird up my loins, as they say, and start going out again.

As we know, it is now de rigueur to be responsible and respectful by wearing a face mask in public places, so I thought it was about time I made some.

If you want to make your own, there are more than enough instructional video links on YouTube, and it's well worth looking at them, then pick and choose what will work best for you, and a few of them generously share their discoveries and solutions to problems, such as gapping, and misting up of glasses.  I looked at several before deciding and mine will be the machine washable at 60* triple layer masks, rather than the type with a disposable filter, which you still have to wash.

I have a stash of suitable cotton fabrics, and suitable linings. To begin with, I picked an inexpensive fabric with a pretty and delicate purple print, and after measuring my face, across from mid point between my nose and ear, and from the bridge of my nose to my chin, I cut two 9 x 5 inch rectangles.  I cut the same from a piece of old towelling sheet, and two 7" pieces of soft, 1/4 inch elastic. 

I worked through the construction process, made a few mistakes, but then, et voilà!  One reusable, washable face mask.

After trying it, I found the fit was not to my liking, if it covered my nose and tucked up under my glasses it sat too high up on my chin and barely covered my mouth, so I made another, cutting my rectangle 9 inches x 7 inches, and that has worked just fine.  It's the larger version I am showing in the {dreadful} photo, above, of my model. 

I now have to work out how I will add the Prym metal nose bars which I bought from Empress Mills, link below.

Lots of places sell pretty fabric, or you can use old cotton sheets, pyjamas, in fact almost any fabric is good as long as it is a close weave.  I did buy some fabric to make a special cat themed one for a friend, and I also got matching elastic.  Of course, I couldn't resist the pretty floral print at the time either.  I found the quality and service from Empress Mills exemplary. They have a lot of lovely fabrics too!


The seemingly white elastic is actually pale lilac and perfectly matches the cat pattern fabric.

I am now thinking about making a little matching bag for each of my masks to help keep them clean and tidy in my handbag or pocket while out and about.

VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT 

If you are wearing disposable, one time use, masks, please, please dispose of them responsibly.  Already, photos of birds and small mammals injured or trapped by the elastics are flooding the internet.  A simple snip to split the elastic loops is all you need to do, and then bin it.

Moving on.  

My first outing was a very short walk along a nearby lane.  Normally it's deserted.  I've walked it for years and hardly ever see a soul!  That particular day, I met seven people, and no, I wasn't going to St Ives.  Seven! We were all very respectful to each other, but I was the only one with a mask.  Not that one is required in such places, I was testing it out.

I was shocked to see such a huge amount of Ragwort liking the path.




The lovely view at the end of the path  How I have missed it! 💗

Continuing to use the new style Blogger and discovering and playing with some of the new features, today's play is with the new fonts option, which I like, and discovering access to my Instagram photos via a Google App I didn't know I had, and thanks to Ragged Robin telling me about it, I've inserted a quirky emoji!

Until next time
Be responsible, stay safe, stay well
Deborah xoxo


21 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, I am so glad to hear you have been out, well done. IT's so hard to overcome fears. You made a great start by sewing your masks. I made a lot at the beginning of the pandemic, nearly all of the people on the street here are wearing my masks, and that makes me happy. As you say, it's a case of learning by doing, and your mask looks very professional, good for you! Nice to see you, too! Have fun being out in nature again and enjoying the walks in your beautiful countryside! Stay safe, have fun! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. In truth, I am reclusive anyway, so this virus has made the already unpleasant experience of going outside downright frightening for me. My mask pattern is still being tweaked for a perfect fit. The photo is awful, I should have at least "fixed" my eyebrows! Have a good day, and stay safe. Hugs, Deb

      Delete
  2. I am so pleased you have been out and walked to one of your favourite views. Best I find to take one step at a time when starting to go out and about. I have found local places and walks that used to be deserted are much busier :) Your mask looks great and suits you so well. I am glad you have found the emojis and I must check out the new fonts option. I am getting braver now with new blogger and exploring more features thanks to your help and encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you know what a shove I had to give myself. I will be making a lot more, maybe even seasonal print, masks now. At least if we make a huge blunder when trying out the new features, we have our new best friend, Undo!

      Delete
  3. Hooray for getting out and about. I've never stopped so can't imagine what it feels like to not go anywhere for so long. Just hope it all doesn't go backwards now. You've found some pretty fabric for masks - I think we'll be needing them for a long time - hadn't thought about a Christmas mask - good idea!
    As for new blogger, it's much better than how it was when they first changed. I'd like to see my whole list of labels all at once rather than having to guess but other than that not to bad. Hadn't thought about looking at new fonts I shall investigate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. My struggle over not going out isn't new, it actually stems back years, but is exacerbated by the virus. I will be making many masks, like you, I think we will be wearing them for a long time, so they will need to be interesting and fresh!
      Check out the new font under "font" and "additional fonts"

      Delete
  4. Hi Deb -- your mask looks great. My favorite masks are of that style, with the seam in the middle and slightly higher at the nose. They seem to be quite effective. I'm beginning to get quite a collection of a variety of types. And one can't have enough I suppose. This will go a long while.

    Here's a tip if you think you might need your mask more often. I keep mine on an extra long shoelace (and one on a ribbon) tied to the loops and looking like a very long necklace. Then I can wear it and remove it if not one is near and I'm in a safe place. It comes in handy when I'm walking and if I see people I'll put it on. If I had the inclination I'd make something pretty out of beads with clips to hold it on. But I don't have the inclination!

    I love your walk. It's really beautiful and I'm very glad you were able to get out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Jeannie. I have seen someone making beaded chains, like the kind used with spectacles. Mind, we're all spectacles in our masks. I am going to try one of those seamed ones, and I also have a more compact style to try using a store bought DIY mask which fits my face very nice and snug.

      Delete
  5. Very nice job on your mask making, Deb. I think it's a good idea to customize the mask to the wearer as you have so expertly done. Our daughter made a batch of them for us and I needed to make adjustments to ours.
    I'm so glad you were able to take your favorite walk. It is beautiful with the ragwort blooming! Autumn is the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. The Ragwort is a double edge sword, as it's highly toxic to livestock {so goodness knows what else} but equally it's beneficial to species of butterfly that only thrive on Ragwort. It's not normal to see it like that at all.
      It's important to customise the fit so as not to have gaps!
      Have a lovely day! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Happy to come to your blog...very nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found my way here from another blog, and started following you. So, I figured I should probably actually say, "Hello," so... Hello.

    Anyway, I'm glad you got to go out. Good choice on the mask colour... I've always loved purple things, so maintain it's my favourite colour even though I lost the last of my sight more than a decade ago, so I can only see it in my memories now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria, and Welcome! The mask is mostly white, a fairly fine fabric with tiny mid purple coloured flowers scattered over it. I love purple too, and I hope you'll join us again soon

      Delete
    2. Thanks... Both for the welcome, and for the fabric description.

      Delete
  8. Great work, Deb! We walked a bit somewhere else this week; wore masks; met a few others who were wearing masks as well. It’s great to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nellie. I don't like that photo, but it is what it is. I am more comfortable when everyone has their masks on. It's all about rebuilding our confidence now, while remaining safe.

      Delete
  9. You’ll be able to set up a little mask making business. It’s just a pity that some people have a ‘no-one’s trll9ng me what to do attitude’ and refusing to wear masks. Very selfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Local schools are asking for people to make masks so that every child who uses the school bus to have at least one washable, three layer mask each. I find the world is now split into two camps: those who take this seriously, and those who don't.

      Delete
  10. Hello again, Deb, it was nice to see and read this post about your mask making. I will admit to not being the least creative when it comes to sewing projects, so always admire others who can. I have a variety of cloth masks, some purchased from a local company and some giveaways but all are washable and reusable. As you noted too many people are using disposables and disposing of them everywhere, which is very unsightly and trashes the environment. Hope the trip to the hairdresser goes OK as I have been to one a couple of times and all went OK. And, like yourself, we have gone for walks and seen others both masked and not. When we are alone we are unmasked and so try to be outdoors without being near people because it is the only time we can be without masks as they are required in all public spaces and we do comply. Sadly, we do expect this will be the norm for quite some time to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beatrice, yes, it is worrying how so many flout the rules showing no respect for others. I agree that mask wearing will be normal for some time to come, most likely until a viable vaccine is found.

      Delete