Monday 21 September 2020

World Alzheimer's Day

Hello Friends

Today, September 21st is World Alzheimer's Day.  I lost my darling  mother to this dreadful disease not once, but twice, as she mentally and physically slipped away long before her body finally gave up the battle.

By now, most of us probably know someone who has been, or is affected by some form of Dementia.  The numbers affected, sadly, grow each passing day and many have the beginnings of it long before it is even noticed as a problem.  

One thing I find everyone, without fail, says to me as they sadly have a loved one diagnosed is that they now understand what we were going through with Mum.  You see, one of the biggest problems with Alzheimer's is that the person looks so well, usually up until it is Stage 3.  They are far from well, and we need to raise awareness of this fact so we can all make their lives more bearable.

I once had it described to me thus:

Think of your mother's memory as a bookshelf.  The bottom shelf is when she was born, and each shelf going up is a fresh decade in her life.  As you reach the top, suddenly, a book falls out and too the floor, and no matter how hard you try, you cannot pick it up and put it back.  Slowly, the books all begin to fall out, and with each book that falls, so do the memories fade never to return.  Eventually, there will be no books left on any of the shelves, and the book case is empty.


My mother had the most beautiful smile, and it could light up a room.  My cousins gave me a rose in her memory; it is called Betty's Smile.  Mum's smile continued to light up her face with it's precious light, right up to the end.  It is my most treasured memory.


Please, become aware of the signs of the beginnings of Alzheimer's Disease.  Although there is no cure, yet, there are medications and assistance available to help people cope, to maintain a good quality of life and independence for longer, and that is so important.

I miss my Mum each and every day, and I pray for those of you who have loved ones going through this dreadful journey, which at the time of a pandemic, must be unthinkably difficult.

Until next time
Stay Safe, Stay Well
Deborah 




18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the story of your lovely Mum, I can imagine how much you miss her. I worked for 9 years in a care home for the elderly, and we had lots of Alzheimer patients, and it was heartbreaking to watch the decline they went through. I wish you good health, have a happy day, stay safe and well! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. I have the utmost respect for all the care providers and nurses who work in care homes to take care of the elderly. Mum was in an excellent care home, and I could tell just from the way she smiled and reacted to the care givers that she was, in her own little way, happy, and she was safe. Deb

      Delete
  2. Deb, I'm thinking of you on this day of awareness of Alzheimers. The lovely photo of your Mum shows her smile that I'm sure you miss terribly, my friend. Her rose is a perfect thoughtful remembrance. Take care of yourself and continue to stay safe. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. Coming up on two years now, and missing her more each day. I don't think it's ever going to change. Stay safe and stay well, Deb xoxo

      Delete
  3. Your mother was a lovely woman. I know you must miss her terribly and that's such a sad way to end one's life. The bookshelf analogy is an excellent one I will remember. I have known several who have had this dreadful disease and it is heartbreaking. I know she would love your rose and beautiful garden, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. I know she would be touched by the gift of the rose in her honour, and it is her garden I now tend, trying to restore it after five years of neglect.

      Delete
  4. Sending you special hugs, Deb, on this day and every day! I’ve a long-time friend experiencing dementia, and it’s unsettling to observe the decline....a little more each time we speak. Your Mum has a lovely smile, and the rose is a fitting tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a dreadful thing to witness, Nellie. I only wish I had known then half of what I know now, it's a very steep learning curve. xo

      Delete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with you today, my friend. I know how you grieve for your Mum and how the pain is always so close by. Betty's smile is as beautiful as your Mum and her smile. Her love shines out from that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you a special virtual hug. A poignant and moving post and your mum has such a lovely smile. I hadn't heard of the bookcase comparison before - it is very apt. I think the rose is a beautiful tribute to a very lovely lady who I know you miss dreadfully. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just want to keep raising awareness.

      Delete
  7. It must have been very hard for both you and your Mother to go through that. Especially you, watching her decline. I know you must miss her terribly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I gave up work to care for her, full time, and at times I witnessed a decline in her daily. Hardest thing I've ever done.

      Delete
  8. We've gone through this many times in my family. It's a horrible disease that steals our loved ones from us way before they physically die. I pray I don't live long enough to be struck with it, as there's an excellent chance I will succumb if I live long enough. And I wouldn't want to put my loved ones through that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, I understand what you say well enough.

      Delete
  9. Btw, your mother had a beautiful countenance. I'm sure it's hard to live without her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she was a beautiful and happy soul indeed, and I never thought being without her would be so hard.

      Delete