Monday 30 September 2024

End Of An Era

Hello Friends!

Why do I get so emotional and who would have thought that a simple job of ordering a repeat prescription would have seen me end up a snivelling heap of tears?

Pass the tissues, it's the end of an era.

I don't think anyone can remember a time when we didn't have a General Practitioner, aka a doctor, in the City.  I recall my mother speaking of Dr. Elliot who cared for her since she was a child, and I remember my first GP, Dr George Middleton, who administered care for me and countless many others over several decades. Since his retirement we've been served by many GP's including Drs Hamilton, Grimshaw, Sheldon, Van Kempen, Ferguson, Kauschinger, and Riley to name but a few.

How the Practice has grown with the NHS and changing needs of the community.  Back in the day, we had a doctor and a District Nurse, who between them cared for everyone 24/7.  If you got taken ill "out of hours" you telephoned the doctor at his home and he came out regardless of the time, day or night.  We had an ambulance kept in the village, also on call 24/7.  A far cry from today when you might wait hours for an ambulance to arrive.

The District Nurse, Nurse Davies, could be seen cycling her way around the district, in rain or shine, to get from patient to patient for the housebound. Nothing stopped this indomitable force from visiting her patients.  In later years she drove a Morris Minor.

There was no such thing as booking an appointment with a receptionist.  If you wanted to see doctor you showed up, Monday through Friday, between 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. or between 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. and took your turn.  Going to the doctor was a social event!  We crammed into the tiny waiting room with fourteen chairs and waited for the ding dong of the bell announcing Next Patient Please.  A mother with a crying baby or toddler was always invited to go in first!

Then we saw the days of the receptionist begin.  The first one I remember was Mrs Katherine Simpson, a lovely lady, totally in charge and tolerated no nonsense!  Her job then was to pull patient notes for the doctor and pass them through a tiny hatch into the consulting room, as well as other general duties.  Her "office" was no bigger than a broom cupboard, a far cry from today with a team of receptionists on duty with computers and an endless list of duties and jobs from ordering repeat prescriptions, booking appointments, organising tests, and so much more.

These days it is appointment only and since the Pandemic many appointments are telephone consultations.  My, how things have changed.

And now the Surgery is closing it's doors for good.  It is a sad day.  I won't go into the whys or the wherefores, it is happening and cannot be undone.  We are being transferred to another surgery in the next village over.  Things will never be the same.  The impact on the tiny community is colossal.

This morning, I telephoned my monthly repeat prescription into the surgery that has served me and others so well for so long, for the last time.  I could not hold back the tears as I spoke to the lovely, kind receptionist on the phone. Jackie is a friend now, and I could hear her voice cracking too.  Next time it will be a different voice, a stranger who takes my request.  

I cannot begin to express my gratitude to all the doctors, nurses, receptionists and support staff  who have cared for me and countless others over the years, their presence in the City will be sorely missed.

It is the end of an era.

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Debbie xx


No comments:

Post a Comment