Monday 17 August 2020

Baking and Berries

 Hello Friends!

This is going to be brief, but I have to write a blog and publish under the new format, more out of curiosity.  I haven't written for a while now, partly because I haven't felt up to it, and partly because this new Blogger is making me rethink my presence here, and maybe I'll go over to WordPress.  We'll see.

So, it's already annoying me by putting in extra spaces as I type. Heigh Ho!

Growing up, I remember Mum baking a delicious light fruit cake called American Tea Cake.  Several have asked me the provenance of the name, and the simple answer is, I don't know.  I haven't had it since Mum last made it years ago, and hadn't given it much thought, until the other day when I came across a battered and tattered handwritten copy of her recipe.  Of course, there were tears, but then I set about making it.  Here's the recipe. 

It is important to be using the same cup throughout.  In a mixing bowl add

2 cups SR flour
1 cup mixed dried fruit 
1/4 cup sugar
mix the above together, then add:
1 egg beaten, with enough milk to make up to 1 cup
2 oz unsalted butter, melted

Stir together, pour into a greased loaf tin and bake in a preheated, moderate oven for 45 minutes to an hour until cooked.

No need to use a mixer of any kind, it comes together quite quickly with a wooden spoon.

I used a set of American cups in a 2lb loaf tin, which was a bit too big for the amount of cake batter, so it came out a wee bit on the flat side, but is still good.  Mum used a teacup and a much smaller loaf pan.  It makes it a bit hit and miss, and open to interpretation, but the end result is good, and even better spread with butter!


Another bake is this one, I'm calling it the Kitchen Sink Tray Bake because I went through my cupboard gathering up things that needed using.  So, this one I used my KitchenAid bowl and put everything in together.  In went

3 eggs
5 oz SR white flour
4 oz SR whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teasp baking powder
6 oz sugar
6 oz Stork
14 oz dried fruit {I had currants, raisins, sultanas, dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, and candied peel}
1 teasp mixed spice
2 tablespoons marmalade
milk for achieving dropping consistency.

Beat all together until combined.  Pour into a greased and lined 13 x 9 inch pan and bake for about 45  minutes on Gas Mark 4.  Cool in pan 10 minutes before turning out.

I am enjoying this cut in squares with hot custard sauce.


Blackberry picking season is here!  This is the time I always end up not being sorry that I left a large part of my garden to go wild, for I harvest pints upon pints of sweet, juicy, wild blackberries.  This is my first proper pick, and it's a pint and a half, so not a bad start.  Now all I have to do is decide what to make.  Apple and blackberry pie with apples from the garden, or a crumble, or freeze them to make some Blackberry Jelly?  Of course, I could defrost the raspberries and Loganberries to make a delicious Jumbleberry Jam too.  Decisions, decisions.

Well, dear friends, I said it would be short this time, but I am now within an inch of hitting the Publish button, then time will tell!

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well

Deborah xoxo

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Can I have some? Stop by.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of the recipes sound good. How lovely to find your mum's handwritten one. I've been picking blackberries too and yesterday made bramble jelly. Am just trying it on toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bramble Jelly is my favourite, too many pips in the jam, although I have a friend who swears the jam tastes better. I dissolve some jelly in hot water with lemon {and sometimes a tot of whisky} in the winter for colds.

      Delete
  3. Those hand written recipes from my Mama's hand will get me every time, Deb. I understand the emotion and embrace it. Your bakes sure look good! I had to look up the ingredient, Stork, interesting--I don't think we have it here. You know I love those beautiful blackberries. Nellie and I are rowing as fast as we can. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you can use any yellow baking fat or unsalted butter instead of Stork. It's been around since my Grandmother's day. You and Nellie keep on rowing now, do you hear me?! xoxo

      Delete
  4. It must have brought back memories for you when you bit into that first cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, it isn't as good as I remember my Mum's, but then is anything ever as good?

      Delete
  5. Wow. I was going to ask u about that recipe. I so enjoyed the recipes. Your remembrances and and the gorgeous blackberries. How fun. Sending hugs xo charissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my friend, you've got both recipes now, so hope you'll give them a go. xo

      Delete
  6. Wow. I was going to ask u about that recipe. I so enjoyed the recipes. Your remembrances and and the gorgeous blackberries. How fun. Sending hugs xo charissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I would love to come and have a cuppa with you and some cake and custard. I'm licking my lips at the thought. Enjoy all of it!

    Love and hugs,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I wish you lived next door. You and Mr.D would be my lockdown 'bubble'. We'd never get anything done, and Mr.D could mow my lawn in exchange for cake! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Your blog post with new blogger looks fine - you are very brave to try it!! I am still using the old one!

    Both cakes look delicious. The second recipe will be useful as I have two bags of wholemeal flour to use up and it won't keep that long I don't think as it is from a mill and fairly free of additives!

    Sounds like you have a great crop of blackberries to make lovely things with. I always try and freeze some to keep for crumbles in the winter and I have made jam in the past. They are such a lovely fruit and versatile. You can make muffins too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think, if you adjust the liquid to account for the higher fibre, you could make the entire cake with wholemeal. It's what I will be doing, and I often make a Victoria sponge with all wholemeal, it's delicious! Yes, plenty of blackberries, this is just the first proper pick! I'm in the middle of making an Apple Blackberry tart now, and having just found a suitable bottle, I may make a cordial this afternoon. It's keeping small bears out of it that's the problem, but the purple stains give them away.

      Delete
  9. It's a while since I made a tea bread- English version and they are good. It's the busy time of year now for harvesting and mking treats to remind us of Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. Yes, and the way the weather becomes, it's good to have reminders of Summer days.

      Delete
  10. Hi Deb this is Sue from America... Thank you so much for your post. I hope you keep posting them. I really enjoy reading them especially now during this socially distancing. I'm so glad you gave us some of your recipes, as everything you mentioned on your twitter when I could see it sounded so delicious. I actually asked you on my August 5 comment on your last posting to share some of your recipes with us. I am lucky that I actually have some mixed spice, as it is not available here in the states. Your mention of having blackberries in your yard made me homesick, as my father used to pick wild blackberries in the wild near my childhood home and my mother made the best jam out of them. We also had raspberries lining one side of our yard, so we also had raspberry jam...yum. I hope everything is well in St. Davids and all of Wales. I think of you often, and hope you are doing well. At night when I want to lift my spirits I will goggle Welsh men's choirs and listen to the welsh national anthem , Myfanwy , and all thru the night sung in Welsh. You must miss hearing your church choir. I hope you can get to the cathedral to pray soon, even if they can't hold a service. Thank you again for this blog. Stay well, and wear a mask.... Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. Mixed spice isn't a huge problem, I am often out of it and use a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. Raspberry jam is my favourite. The cathedral has started services again, but I am staying home and following on Facebook. I see very few faces I know, so wonder how many tourists are there and find that disconcerting. Deb

      Delete