Friday 21 August 2020

A Retrospective of Summer Flowers

Hello Friends!

As I wrote nothing during the last month, I thought I'd take a retrospective look back at some of the photos of flowers I took while I was away. That's away as in not blogging, not away as in on holiday. Chance would be a fine thing.  I had actually planned my first holiday in over fourteen years this Summer. So much for that!  After this look at the Summer garden, it will be time to move into Autumnal focused writing.

We have had a few days that gave a promise, a gentle whisper, that Summer was here, but then she backed away allowing the all too familiar cold wind and rain, more reminiscent of Winter, to rampage across much of the United Kingdom.  April and May were dry, but oh, have we made up for the lack of rain?  Wind and rain, that familiar marriage of garden destruction followed in abundance, yet, nature never fails to amaze with resilience, and the most wonderful way of bouncing back, so in a few days all was on the mend as new growth burgeoned forth.

For the last fortnight, almost all of the United Kingdom has baked, roasted, and melted in scorching, record breaking heat, while in my corner of the world we have shivered, sitting under a blanket of heavy sea fog that kept us cold and wondering what's happened to Summer.  

As I type this, we are coming to the end of three days of an early Autumn storm, Storm Ellen, which lashed us, unexpectedly, with brutal winds and torrential rain.  Little is left in bloom now, and these are all photos I took before the storm.

What little food crops I had left are strangely flattened, even my strawberries succumbed, and there has been a basketful of windfall apples which have already been turned into applesauce.

I am thankful that I brought in the last of the Betty's Smile and popped them in a sweet little vintage, decorative, porcelain vase.




When I look at the corner where the Crocosmia are growing, it is a gentle reminder of the Summer that should have been.  All is not lost, for September and October can be fine months.

Lucifer stood bigger, bolder and brighter than anything else for weeks.  Sometimes, I look at the flowers and see fire breathing dragons with long, flowing tails where seed heads will soon appear.



In the same corner is my white lavender.  It is in need of much tlc, so I think once this flowering season is done I must take cuttings, for although small, it has good merit, is delightfully fragrant and a perfect addition to a tussie mussie.



Another Crocosmia, more orange than fiery red, and much smaller, but no less stunning sits in another corner, bringing flavours of Summer to the border.



Here's a particular favourite photo of mine of Lucifer


Nearby, the buddleia's purple flowers pop brightly, contrasting against the red hot orange, with a flourish of lime green from a nearby shrub. 


As the season slowly turns, so the turn of the Japanese Wind Anemones arrives in the border. Their long, elegant stems sway gracefully, even in the fiercest of gusts; the pristine, white flowers with their bright yellow centres looking like fried eggs atop the bamboo canes of a plate spinning act. I love this flower in my late Summer border.




Turning a corner, there are a few rich, buttery lemon yellow Evening Primrose in and around too, having chosen their own spots to flourish.  Seeds to be harvested soon, I hope.



The clematis finally put in an appearance, but I am sad to say that something has helped itself to bites of both leaf and petal.  Here are a couple of the better ones.




Well, I want to delete that last photo, but cannot find where to click! Piffle. {answers in the comments, please, if you know how!}

The mints are in full flower too, and I really wish I could share the heady, minty fragrance that scents the air in this corner, where Morning Glories also flourish.


A very pretty combination. I love purple, green and white together.  Simple and clean looking, and very pleasing to my eye.

I'm happy to say at the moment, although there are a few blips every so often, and there's a lot of stuff to work out and discover, I am getting on with this new Blogger platform better than I expected, especially given some of the things I have read.  I'll get there eventually, and will not be moving over to WordPress {which I find particularly tricky to use} but hope Blogger leaves things be for a good, long while now.

Until next time
Be responsible, and stay safe and well.
Deborah xoxo

20 comments:

  1. So happy to see that you survived storm Ellen.It looked like it caused major damage. Your flowers are beautiful. Stay safe and wear a mask. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Four days on and the wind is still blowing!

      Delete
  2. Hi Deb! Sorry you have had so much bad weather and storms. The flowers in your garden are beautiful. I haven't seen Lucifer over here - perhaps I don't look closely enough at other people's gardens - but it's stunning. Buddleia is always beautiful, and the white lavender looks good, too - I only know the blue varieties. And I love the Betty's smile roses in the beautiful vase. I'm glad you are staying with Blogger, it seems to have settled down now after some teething troubles at first. Have a good day, thanks for showing your garden, and stay well and safe! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. Yes, getting fed up with the wind as it makes doing anything outside difficult. Lavender also comes in pink! Stay well and safe, and make us all some more of your lovely art work! Deb

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos. The windy weather here yesterday did no damage except to knock pears and apples off their trees and so many leaves down - very autumnal.
    I clicked back to the old blogger for as long as possible. The new is OK but seems to lots of clicks to do things that only needed one click before.
    If I remember right to delete on the new you click on photo and then delete with the delete button on laptop - if not on laptop I have no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I'm sure you'll find a way to use your windfalls. I just noticed that, although the name of this entry is correct, my original title shows up in the address bar on top of my screen. How bizarre. I will try your tip for deleting. I agree, so many extra clicks to do a job, and also so many tries to find the right thing to click on too.

      Delete
  4. What a haven, this garden of yours. Especially during these times when travel isn't an option (I'm sorry about your vacation) and we are all staying very close to home. I've never seen white lavender before -- it's beautiful. And that Lucifer is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. Sadly, a very different picture after this storm, but I know it will recover. Yes, lavender comes in many colours, not just lavender blue.

      Delete
  5. So many beautiful flowers and such lovely photos. The little vase at the beginning is so delightful. So sorry to hear about the damage the storm has been doing to your pretty garden.

    Glad to hear you are getting on ok with the new blogger - you give me hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Worse thing is, more wind coming Tuesday and Wednesday it seems. Winter has come early. Plodding on with the new Blogger, a few issues but I suppose we'll get used to them. Eventually.

      Delete
  6. More gorgeous flowers from you! Lovely! That apple windfall....can sense the aroma of that applesauce now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nellie. Yes, applesauce does smell so good when simmering away.

      Delete
  7. We only had a couple of hot days here. You had lots of lovely flowers to cheer you up. Sorry your holiday plans were thwarted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you didn't suffer with Storm Ellen, although she seems to have been very wide spread across much of the UK and NI

      Delete
  8. So sorry the storms have passed your way, Deb. It seems to have been a crazy summer for most of us, but I must say you have captured such lovely blossoms along the way and they make me happy to see as I'm sure they do you! The Japanese Wind Anemones are so lovely. Your photos are always exquisite, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. Nothing much left in the garden now so I am outside with my pruners and loppers. Deb xoxo

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos, as always. I love the contrasting colors as well. It makes it all seem to 'pop' so much. The flowers are just gorgeous.

    I am so sorry you are unable to have that well deserved holiday. I can only imagine the photos you would have gifted us with! I truly hope you can do it next year. Fingers crossed. Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear friend! Thank you. Oh, the photos I would have shared of castles and coastlines, of wooded walks and rock pools, of ice cream parlours and coffee shops, and of churches and churchyards. I'd planned a staycation of my county. So much of it still yet to discover! xoxo

      Delete
  10. Thanks, Deborah, for capturing these beautiful blooms before they were ravaged by the forces of nature. I have read of the very hot temps and then the rains in the UK and heard from a good friend who lives in Derby. Sorry your travel plans were also cancelled by the pandemic, as were ours as well. That said, we are making the best of staying at home as are many others and doing a staycation notably in the city we live in but the state as well. I would dearly have enjoyed seeing the castles, churches, coffee shop and ice cream places (a favorite when we travel too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beatrice. Staycations seem to be the thing these days. If people are able to travel safely, it's better now they do so at home to boost the local economies, not line the coffers of foreign climes!

      Delete