Wednesday 26 August 2020

A Leap of Faith

Hello Friends!

I have taken a huge Leap of Faith and now the border in front of my patio and French window that looks out over the lawn sports a gaping gap, almost end to end, where the Pieris, buddleia, and Frances E Lester rambler bloomed of late.  They are still there, but greatly reduced in size as they were getting out of hand, blocking my view of the garden and keeping all the late afternoon sunshine off the low, raised borders that mark the edges of the patio and the lawn restricting planting choices. 

It's a risk I've had to take, a Leap of Faith, for I needed to open up the space so that I can find the original edges to the lawn border to enable me to get in and clean it.  It's hard enough weeding on your hands and knees to begin with, but even more difficult when you can't see what you are doing because of leaf laden branches on shrubs, or worse, being impaled on dagger like rose bush thorns. 

I know the rambler will be fine.  Most roses, delicate though they appear, are tough as old boots and respond well to a good pruning.  

The buddleia, well, we all know that they are nigh on impossible to kill.

It's the Pieris that worries me.  It was a gift from Dad's niece.  I have researched it well, and apparently they, like camellias, can take hard cutting back, almost to ground level.  It was getting leggy, all top growth and woody stems, so I've made the Leap of Faith and cut it right back, hard.  Very hard.

 

Now all that's needed is to clean around them, feed them, and tidy up the remains to make good shapes as they regenerate and regrow.

I had planned on making the borders deeper and having a little less lawn, but now I have found the stone edging, which has been hidden for years, I realise it's the original edging put in place by my Mum about thirty eight years ago, and I like it more than I remember, so am leaving it as it is.

Finally, the small, raised border will have better light and fair play for me to plant out the potted and patio roses and lavenders that I so long to see from my window.

Storm Ellen battered us, followed by an unprecedented second named August storm in under a week with Storm Francis. On the day in between I got out and did as much post Summer tidying up as I could manage, and picked another 2lbs of blackberries.  That's four pounds in two picks.  I have already enjoyed an apple and blackberry pie, and turned the rest into juice for making jelly.

I successfully avoided walking headlong into these lovelies and although I doubt they survived the recent weather I know more will have already taken their place.  It might be time to cut those seed heads if I'm going to use them this Autumn.


One of the great comforts during lockdown life has been rediscovering bread making. What a joy it is, to create something so simple yet so immensely satisfying as a loaf of bread.  Here's one I baked the other day, a rustic Farmhouse loaf.  Perfectly crusty on the outside and delightfully light and soft on the inside.  Absolute heaven toasted and slathered in unsalted Welsh butter with Marmite and slightly softened cheese on top.  Of course, you may prefer a different topping.


Then, there have been several bowls of windfalls after the storms.

Sometimes, these apples are Snow White red all the way through.  So pretty, and often the applesauce turns out quite pink, but not this time.

My favourite way to use these up is to make applesauce, but think I'd like to make another applesauce cake again, or an apple topped cinnamon cake. Delicious.  This time, I kept it chunky.

In clearing some corners, I found these.  Mum and Dad were given some garden centre vouchers about twenty years ago, and picked these garden ornaments.  I had forgotten all about them but am so happy to have found them, and I love how they are weathering.


It's funny, I have never been a fan of garden ornaments, but now I cherish these dearly.  I've cleaned them up, not too much, for I love the aging affect of lichen growing on things, and now they adorn the lawn, along with my Ddraig Goch.  I wonder what he dreams of?

Do  not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!  

He needs a small make over, and I think we can arrange that.


In honour of the turning seasons, I have brought out my Autumn Sunflower socks.  They're ever so comfy as well as looking pretty.  Almost too pretty to wear shoes with, but in the cottage of a seamstress, going barefoot, no matter how comfortable, is not a good idea at all.  

My Happy Socks! How can you not smile when you see Happy Sunflower Socks?


Until next time
Be responsible, and stay safe
Deborah xo

16 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely blog post, Deborah! You have been hard at work! Take care, and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nellie. Autumn always does seem to have more jobs to do than the other seasons. Deb xo

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely post - I am sure the shrubs etc will survive and come back bushier and stronger. Your loaf looks totally delicious and I like the idea of the topping although at times I am naughty and have homemade bread with butter and jam! It is good to see the uncovered ornaments I have some I have inherited too including "Matilda" and a white rabbit although in the latter case the white paint covering it had has thankfully worn of! I am in love with your dragon and sunflower socks :) Love the spider web photos - it is coming up to that time of year :) Take care and stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Just this afternoon, I found some new, fresh growth on a stem of Pieris that I cut back about two months ago, so I am not as worried now. Nothing wrong with a slice of bread and jam, it's delicious! I got the socks from Moshulu. They have some lovely patterns. Stay safe and well too!

      Delete
    2. Good news re: the Pieris :) Thanks for info on sox - will make a note :)

      Delete
  3. Deb, it's hard to cut back our plants, but I've always (mostly) been rewarded by "taking a leap of faith." I have a large buddleia that will get a haircut soon, but for now the butterflies are enjoying it. Your parents garden pieces are quite handsome! Your apples surely make nice applesauce. And the rustic loaf is making my mouth water, minus the Marmite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have already seen some new growth on a stem of Pieris I had to cut right back in June, so hope is alive and well in my garden now. I have seen very few butterflies in the garden, despite all the appropriate planting. I won't force Marmite upon you! xo

      Delete
  4. I cut a bed in the lawn to get, well, less lawn. Leaving wide paths of lawn between the beds.
    I love your topping on the gorgeous loaf you baked. Yum! Zoho and applesauce cake yes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a thought that crossed my Pooh brain once, to make another bed in the middle, halfway there with the old apple tree bed. Probably wouldn't take much effort either. Hope you are coping with the hoarding masses? Stay safe and well.

      Delete
  5. I don't know what I love most in this post, because there is so much to love! I suspect your border cutting will be fine. It sounds as though you researched things first and in any event it will give you space for next season. Finding the original stones your mom put in -- and realizing you like them, made me smile. All your cooking sounds fabulous -- all the berries and apples -- you will be enjoying feasts for days to come. Weeks to come! And I am in love with your bunnies!

    I'm sorry about the storms -- I hope they are over and stay that way. It seems like Mother Nature has been taking it out all over the world this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. It makes me happy when I make people smile. Wishing I had more freezer space to save it all. Still, I am happy to share with neighbours. Yes, Mother Nature is doing a number all over the world right now.

      Delete
  6. we’ve hacked back a pier is and a huge camellia so our fingers are crossed too. We cut buddleias almost down to the ground every year and thy com back even bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pieris is showing positive signs of regrowth on a branch I had to lop off in June, and apparently both that and camellias regenerate well from old wood. I am having someone in to do my camellias. As for the buddleia, I really need to get rid of it and plant some new ones where they will be preferred.

      Delete
  7. My heat is affecting my brain, I read this and thought I had commented...but saw it again and realized I hadn't. I am really ready for some cooler temps.

    I'm glad to hear that your 'leap of faith' has shown you that it's doing okay and growing already. I have a fear of pruning, which we all know is ridiculous, but it scares me. So I am in awe of you going after it as you did. I look forward to your updates of your plans.

    The spiderwebs are lovely, although I hate to run into them. Shudder. And I love the garden ornaments. The memories attached to them are priceless. Your sunflower socks made me grin. They are perfect. You can't have a bad day wearing sunflower socks!

    Love and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend. How I wish I could send you some of our cooler weather. Deb xoxo

      Delete
  8. I smiled 😀 when I saw your happy socks at the end of this post. But I smiled even more at that lovely loaf of bread as I haven't made one in several months now because of a weight loss program (sigh). Sorry to read about the storms in your area but glad you didn't receive much damage. When we owned a home in Va, I became very good at cutting things back and thankfully never killed any plant, some survived much to my disappointment. Enjoyed the photos of all your lovely and colorful blooms.

    ReplyDelete