Wednesday 15 July 2020

Just Sitting

Hello Friends!

How are you doing?  I mean this, I am not asking to be polite. How are you really doing?  I know the cold and hard reality of what this pandemic is going to mean in the long term, for many of us, is only now beginning to hit home. 

Come with me, and let's stroll, arm in arm, and take a peek at some of the beauties flowering in my cottage garden this afternoon, just as the sun begins to show itself.

After many days of playing Hide and Seek with the rain in a mostly grey, cloud strewn sky, the sun came out to play.  How could I not go and just sit for a few snatched moments and revel in this all too rare British summertime phenomenon?  The sky was so blue, not a cloud in the sky, and as I sat and snapped a quick photo of the wild, blue yonder, a Herring Gull lazily drifted into frame.

Photobombed!


The rambler rose, Frances E Lester, is now nearly spent for another year, and just a handful of blooms now remain on this once magnificent, giant pom pom of pink and white delicious fragrance.  It does so well, gives of it's all, but this year was so badly let down by the weather.  She's still very pretty, and bury your nose in a bloom, the sweet perfume still lingers.


A rambler of a very different ilk, and by many considered a weed, but I confess I am possessed of a certain fondness for it, is Bindweed or Convolvulus.  I know it is prolific, and gets a hold that can choke out other plants, but oh! the pristine white flower, so starkly contrasting against the dark green leaves and I am smitten.  I will always let some of this in my garden, for it also fills in some of those empty spots as other flowers fade.  My Great Grandfather, a time served gardener, called the roots the Devil's Guts, but I think his daughter, my Nanna, shared my fondness for it's beauty, as she called it Morning Glories.


Sometimes simple flowers are the best.  The sweet, daisy like yellow centred white Feverfew forms a perfect backdrop for a flowering head of purple Verbena Bonariensis.  A perfect match, delightful blend of colour.


Four years ago, instead of a bouquet of flowers on Mothering Sunday, I gave my darling Mum a potted rose.  After it's purpose was served, I potted it into a larger pot, and now it is full of the loveliest red blooms.  I feel Mum is smiling down on them as red roses were amongst her favourite flowers. I plan to put them in the borders this autumn.  Originally, there were five plants crammed in and forced, as they do, for gifting purposes, and two of the original plants have survived.



Let a sleeping dragon lie, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

My buddleia is way behind everyone else's, but is suddenly starting to put out some of those fat and floofy, long and elegant spike so loved by butterflies.


Over 20 years ago I bought some oregano plants.  They went forth and multiplied, and rapidly spread throughout my garden {and quite possibly some of the neighbouring gardens too} and I have happily allowed them to do this, for not only do they provide a delicious herb for my favourite Mediterranean dishes, they look so pretty, make a useful cut addition to small posies, and bees love them.  Here's one that flourishes in a crack in the wall.


Doesn't it seem so sunny and Mediterranean looking?  A holiday escape on a Welsh summer's day.

And, when the sun finally does come out after the rain, what do we get?  Raindrops on Alchemilla Mollis, another favourite plant {is there actually any plant that isn't my favourite?}


Finally, for today, "Betty's Smile" is opening again.  My heart sings and this is my rose of the moment, as it brings with it happy memories of my darling Mum, who in this time of pandemic I seem to be missing more than ever. How has eighteen months flown since she left me?  These blooms bring me more joy than I can begin to put into words.  There is a delicate fragrance to this creamy pink delight.



I hope you have enjoyed our little wander around my cottage garden borders today.  I sure have enjoyed having you here!  Next time, we'll take a look at the Crocosmia again, and fragrant white lavender.

Until next time
Stay Safe, Stay Strong, Stay Well
Deborah xoxo

38 comments:

  1. The flowers are so beautiful. I enjoyed wandering around your garden. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos and that sky is amazing.
    Cloudy here all day and not very warm either nearly need heating on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. It's mostly been like that here too. More winter than summer.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post and beautiful photos. You have such a wonderful way of describing your garden. The roses are all gorgeous and I am so glad that some of the little potted ones you gave to your mum have survived. I love the way oregano spreads too. I have about 4 clumps and one I thought I had lost in a pot as I forgot to water it has miraculously recovered an there are new leaves and shoots. As you say butterflies and bees love the flowers.

    Stay safe and well and strong too. These are such difficult times and I have become even more anxious since my daughter returned to work this week. Times are so worrying. I just try and fill my day with hobbies, books and reading and constant walks around the garden to keep my mind occupied and nasty thoughts at bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've had success with a few of those potted gifting roses. Oregano seems to thrive on neglect. You sound as if you are coping, and I am sure, like me, you are grateful for all those distractions.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is looking beautiful. And how wonderful to have happy memories of your mum.I try not to think about how I feel, I just hope tomorrow will be better! Take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. Yes, I focus on the happier memories as much as I can. We have to cling to the hope that tomorrow will be better, indeed.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely stroll! I always enjoy time in your garden! We just take it a day at a time. It will be awhile before conditions improve where we are. xoxo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nellie. I'm so happy you enjoy my garden too. One day, conditions will improve, but this pandemic is going to drastically change our futures, of that I am sure. xo

      Delete
  6. Well, you know how I"m doing because you read my meltdown post (although I AM doing better in the following days). But I'm much better after visiting your gorgeous garden. You must spend hours on it and it shows. It's stunning and I so admire you and your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie! Thank you. I think having our meltdowns show our humanity. Everything we do now is against our very nature. You know, it's easy to make the garden look much better than it really is with a carefully angled shot!

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy you got some sun, you have no idea how hard I am trying to send my heat and sun to you. lol Your garden is just lovely. So many beauties to look at. You are a lucky girl. I have pulled my share of bindweed out this Summer, but not all of it. I am like you and think it is beautiful in it's simplicity.

    Stay well and stay safe and we will keep going to nature for our "centering". Puttering in a garden is good for the soul.

    Love and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dear Friend, yes, we finally have the sun back! It's out today, but it's also grocery day, and we know what that now means. No time for sitting outside today. Isn't there something rather satisfying in pulling out those bindweed roots? Love you, kindred sister. xo

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed myself walking among your lovely garden blossoms, Deb! "Betty's Smile" is a gorgeous rose and I know so meaningful to you. I must admit to not sharing your love of bindweed in the garden. I really do love seeing its blooms--but somewhere other than my garden. lol
    I'm doing okay. Just continuing to not understand the pure ignorance of folks not taking the Pandemic seriously. Some days are better than others for me.
    Have a happy day, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. I have seen some amazing bindweed, massive and colourful blooms, cultivate relatives of our garden pest. Like you, I just do not understand those who do not take this situation seriously, and, yes, some days are good, some bad. I just hold on tight on bad days telling myself that soon I will feel better again and one day, somehow, this will be over. xoxo

      Delete
  9. A lovely wander round your garden. I'm with your Great Grandfather on Bindweed in the garden, but in the hedgerow, they are 'Granny-pop-out-of-bed', as when you squeeze the calyx, the flower jumps out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit like a snap dragon, which I am sure you've made open it's mouth and bite! I get immense satisfaction from digging out Bindweed root! {evil grin}

      Delete
  10. I don't have a green thumb, so I really enjoy your garden tales. Thank you for sharing, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, you know you are always welcome.

      Delete
  11. Thank goodness for flowers. What a source of joy they have been during this period of enforced confinement. The colours are wonderful but the fragrance is very satisfying too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't know it if you saw my garden, but I come from a long line of gardeners. I really don't know what I would do in normal times without my flowers, never mind in this time of pandemic. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. Every photo is lovely, Deb. Your flowers love you back, it is plain to see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It’s strange isn’t it. Morning glories are celebrated and then the almost identical bindweed flower is ripped out. If only it was better behaved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen some of the truly exotic ones in glorious, bright colours.

      Delete
  14. what a lovely garden....just full of eye candy!!! Thanks for sharing...and inspiring. I need to spend a few cool-er (the temps are wilting both me and my plants!!!) minutes with some weeding!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The garden always loves to be weeded, I suppose it's a bit like most of us and our lack of lockdown hair care.

      Delete
  15. Hello Deborah, I am a first-time visitor from Jeanie's Marmalade Gypsy blog. To answer the question in your first sentence, I am doing the best possible given the current state of the world. There are the down days when I feel so sad about so many people sick or dying, out of work, trying to make ends meet all because of a virus that can't seem to be contained. In a world filled with such technology and wonders of science it can be baffling. Other days, I am so thankful for being OK that friends and family are OK even if we cannot see them now or for however long. In short, it's become a juggling of emotions. I am thankful to keep myself occupied with a lot of good reads and working on several photo projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by today! I agree, most of us are trying to do the best that we can to get through this, and it is an emotional roller coaster. We have to think of our own safety and keeping others safe too.
      Stay strong, and stay safe!

      Delete
  16. Hi again and thanks for the return visit and comment on my blog. Forgot to ask if would it be OK To add your blog on my sidebar? I am always looking for interesting/informative blogs to read based on ones that other enjoy and saw that we share some blog friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, I'd be delighted. Thank you so much. Yes, we do share some mutual blog friends, don't we?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply and yes we do. It certainly is a small world in many ways😀

      Delete
  17. What charming roses, I have never seen Frances E Lester. And Buddleia please me more and more every year, what a lovely smell they have. I'm so glad they spread so readily so there are always plenty in wild places to enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sue from America.... Thank you for this website, I look forward to it and love the flowers and hope you post some of your recipes. I'm not on twitter to see your other posts. As to how I am doing.... I wish everyone in my country would take this virus seriously and do the simple unselfish acts of always wearing a mask, hand washing and socially distancing. You can still see friends if you like, just from 6 feet away. I don't want to continue to live in fear of picking up this virus and not being able to travel to see loved ones because it's to much bother for some to do what it takes to keep us all safe. If only our president would stop pussyfooting around and wear a mask and stop downplaying the virus we could get a handle on this and move forward until we get a vaccine.I hope you are doing well in Wales. Have you been able to leave the house yet. I can at least take a ride in the car, and I do go to the grocery store and then change clothes and bath when I get home. I had hoped to travel to Wales and to the Lake district next year, but who knows when that will be able to happen. I hope everyone viewing this is staying healthy, and able to do something that will bring them joy. I hope to go for a walk, as I've put on some weight. Love from the states....Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful. Love it so much

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post! I loved visiting your garden. My big activity during the pandemic is cooking--my husband calls a good meal "a morale booster." Just learned a great tip to make my jacket potatoes even better and so I blogged it. Love that rose--I like ones that have a delicate fragrance.

    ReplyDelete