Thursday 9 July 2020

Berries and Fruit

Hello Friends!

The seasons slowly turn, whether or not the weather is keeping up, and high summer approaches, so does the season of berries and fruits that add variety to our harvest and table.

What is your favourite summer berry?  I can honestly say I always think that strawberries are my favourite berry, until I pop the first fresh raspberry in my mouth, and then my heart sings with my truth: that fresh picked, sun ripened, still warm from the vine raspberries are truly my favourite berry.

I had planted four varieties, but find I have two that I prefer so much more than the other two that I am going to focus on those and remove the others.  Usually over the summer months I pick more than enough to have a serving of fresh berries almost daily as a healthy snack, and plenty to freeze as well for making raspberry jam which brings warm memories of summer months to the kitchen during the long, dark winter.  This year, I am hoping preserving sugar will become available; at the moment I can get granulated but no sign of preserving sugar on the shelves.  Maybe I am looking too early?  However, I am making sure to pick the berries for jam while still slightly under ripe, for they have higher levels of pectin and are better for setting jam and jelly if you cannot get preserving sugar.  I think slightly under ripe berries also help offset the sweetness of the sugar.



I don't think I will pick many blackcurrants this year for the crop is tiny.  They were Dad's favourite but I have not the patience to pick, then top and tail hundreds upon hundreds of tiny, Vitamin C laden juicy jewels!  He picked them by the bowlful each evening.  My dear mother was constantly making him his favourite blackcurrant pie, of which he never tired and we always froze enough to make him a pie for his late Autumn birthday, instead of a cake {or more often as well as a birthday cake!}

The loganberry, which as we know in my garden may be a Tay berry, is yielding a small crop and I will definitely have enough to make a bottle of flavoured gin, with some to put in a Jumbleberry Jam, which is different every time I make it, and very delicious on toasted home made bread, or in a bowl of slow cooked porridge.


I love loganberry in my Jumbleberry Jam, it's acidic kick tempers the sweetness, and I like that sharpness it imparts to the mixed berries.

Something is wrong with the apples this year.  Despite copious watering during April, which was very dry indeed, as was May, all is not well and I doubt I will see much of a crop at all.  Usually, they seem to auto thin themselves in June, saving me the job, but this year everything stayed put, then I simply forgot, or shall we say due to inclement weather I didn't do it.  So, now, I have clusters of miniature fruit that will probably come to nothing, and a few that have thinned out to two apples per station {as they should be} but even those are of no size at all, still smaller than a tennis ball and already ripening so won't grow any more.  Sad, but true. No apple harvest this year.



The wild blackberry vines, however, are doing most splendidly, and I should see a bumper pick starting in a few weeks.  I love having real wild blackberries on my property, but the vines are thuggish and are taking over.  For several years now they have slowly encroached upon the land that once belonged to them before my late father cleared the ground to build the cottage.  Every year, they have reclaimed a little more, and every year three things happen.

First, I vow to clear them and reclaim the land for vegetables;
Second, I fall down on the job and curse my own ineptitude;
Third, I forget one and two, and joyfully rejoice in early to mid Autumn when I am harvesting the delicious little jewels of nature's fruitiness and bounty to make pies, crumbles and jellies.




Lots of vines; lots of flower buds; lots of flowers; and lots of fruits swelling ready to ripen!

The second flush of strawberries is now only days away I am sure.  Berries are forming, swelling and ripening, and once this rather wintry weather passes and summer returns, I know they will do their very best to catch up then.



Weather wise, we have sat under a blanket of grey, misty murk for what now seems an eternity.  I cannot comprehend that in July I still have the heating on.  It rains from time to time, sometimes heavy, so no need to water for now.  The wind have blown, heartlessly and without relent, and the rose petals now carpet the lawn, and many beautiful plants have suffered, such as the Lucifer crocosmia and Ladies Mantel.  Let us hope that by our next visit the weather will improve, maybe it is already starting to.  They will recover, I am sure, for Nature has a way of bouncing back.

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Deborah xoxo

22 comments:

  1. It must be wonderful to have so many different berries in your garden and have enought to make jam :) We had Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackcurrants and Gooseberries many years ago but now just have a few wild strawberries.

    So sorry about your apples - hope some turn out to be edible.

    Blackberries, although delicious, are very invasive. They have run riot in our garden this year!!

    It has been cold this week - rain too! I have just put a jumper on! Weather hopefully looks better over the weekend and next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I shall miss the apples, they don't keep well and so I usually make lots of freezer apple sauce. I used to make small, fresh batches to take to Mum when she went into care. She loved it. I also have wild strawberries. As I type this reply, the sun is out and warming my back lovely!

      Delete
  2. The back of our garden is covered with wild blackberries. We were going to cut them back and then killer them but have decided to leave them for now so we will have lots of blackberries this year. Since we moved to Norwich 24 yrs ago I have never gone blackberrying. When we lived in Holyhead I used to love picking blackberries to the sound of the sea - one of the things I really miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild blackberries are the best. I have thought about getting the cultivated, thornless ones, but still keep my wild ones. Funny how we miss the simple things the most.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful the berries in your garden are, even with cooler weather, Deb! I'm imagining a busy kitchen as you scurry to fetch these lovely jewels. The weather these days are keeping me inside, not because of cold, but because it's so hot and humid and extremely dry. Summer used to be a favorite of mine, but not any longer. Take care, my friend and enjoy these summer days. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martha Ellen! It's amazing, isn't it, how, despite the inclement weather the blackberries just keep on doing what they do, although this year I think they are well ahead of themselves. I agree, hot summers are no longer something I look forward to either. xoxo

      Delete
  4. I love all the photos. They are so pretty to look at and are making me hungry. lol
    I do hope you have some apples. I have been on an apple kick of late and have one or two each day. I sure hope each of our weather's decide to settle down. You are tired of being cold and I am tired of being hot. Ah, life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my dear friend, how I wish we could exchange just a little of each other's weather, then, like a bowl of porridge, we'd be just right! Apples are so good for you, keep up that apple kick! xoxo

      Delete
  5. You have a wonderful variety of berries! I really love strawberries, though we've had no luck in getting those started here. The blueberries are doing very well this season! It's difficult for us to get to the few raspberries before the birds do.:-) xoxo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nellie. I wonder why you have no luck with strawberries? They generally are easy and yield well, which with your culinary skills would be a great combination. I am quite envious of your blueberries. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Am I really disgusting as I don’t top and tail my black currants. Well I do half of that as I remove the tail when picking - if that is the bit where it attaches to the bush. I do gooseberries though. My favourite berry tends to be whatever is fruiting at the time but I really do like blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are not disgusting, I think Mum just didn't like the texture of eating them with the ends on. It's a fiddly, messy job indeed. I enjoy blueberries, but unfortunately lost that battle to the blackbirds.

      Delete
  7. Jam sugar Amazingly ! got some from square and compass garage... would you like me to bring you some if still there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brigit, but I now have 2 kilos of granulated which will do the job. So kind of you to offer though, and who'd have thought that little garage shop would have it, of all places!

      Delete
  8. what a prolific harvest and how you will love that jam in the cold days of winter. Or, it sounds like, summer. (It's hot here, although it cooled tremendously last night.) I love all berries and cherries. Is there anything you can do with the small apples if there are enough? Even an applesauce or something? You might need to add more sugar if they're still too tart but I hope you don't have to lose them. I just got some wonderful sweet black cherries today. They are my favorite. I could eat them till I get sick. And probably will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie! These apples are like hard, tiny marbles so may be more core and peel than fruit. I might try juicing them, blitz them in the Magimix and strain muslin, then try to set into apple jelly with sugar. Worth a try, and sugar is cheap enough. I love cherries, would love a tree but I know I would be feeding the birds, not me! Every time I see cherries I think of Mary Engelbreit's Chair of Bowlies!

      Delete
  9. The strawberries here have been especially sweet this year, and prolific too. I bought my first local cherries the other day, but they were a little small, and mildly tart. I suspect they might have been picked too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that means the next cherries will be all the sweeter, or were they cooking cherries, perhaps?

      Delete
  10. Hi Deb! Thanks for your comment on my blog, nice to meet you. How lovely to have a garden with fruit growing in it, just wonderful. My fave berries are strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries and blackberries, I love them all and am happy when I can get fresh ones at the market. I just have a little balcony - nice to sit and watch the clouds go by, but no space for fruits or veggies. I read what you wrote on Jeanie's blog, and can understand you very well - it gets harder and harder to do things just now. I still boot myself out for my walks, I would go really crazy if I just stayed home here, but it's not easy. But I am sure, we shall get through this and be stronger for it afterwards. I wish you lots of strength and am sending as many good vibes as I can pack into this message. Take care of yourself, hugs, Valerie
    PS - love the rose on your header, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Valerie, and Croeso! {that's Welcome in Welsh} I think anything we do that makes us feel good is more important than ever now. Well done on getting out to walk, that's where I made my big mistake, not keeping on walking. Sitting and cloud watching is fun to do, and so relaxing. The rose in my header, well, it's special as it is called Betty's Smile and was gifted to me in memory of my late mother who was called Betty. It is beyond special, and why I have it as my header.

      Delete
  11. Hands down, raspberries are my favorite, but now that blueberries are currently in season they are my current favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Deb, I read this while sailing on Lake Superior last week with my sister and her Welsh husband. I came home to those blue skies and went to get my strawberries. The women up here told me that they lasted 3 days over the 4th and then because of our unusual heatwave the rest rotted on the fields!
    I did get my favorite, raspberries, and the cherries are ripening now! I love blue skies and Summer berries!

    ReplyDelete