Monday 6 July 2020

What's Flowering in the Early Summer Garden

Hello Friends!

Well, so far so good, I seem to still have the old Blogger and not the new one that they keep telling me I will have sometime in June.  Did they not notice June was last month?  Shhhh!  I still don't seem to be able to correct the font issues, but that's how it is.

The weather has continued to be more wintry than summery, arguably not even spring like.  The only things that are looking a little like summer are things like the hot, fire red Crocosmia Lucifer, and the cool, innocent white Feverfew.


of course, the spiders have spun their silken magic and the fairies sprinkled them with pixie dust



The Feverfew is only one in the garden, and of all places it picked to flower is in the wall skirting the edge of the drive.  Still, it is pretty and full, looking really rather stunning in it's solitude and it is left in peace as I do not have a car now.


Several weeks ago, actually before lockdown began in March, I ordered some new lavender plugs, so long ago that I had forgotten all about them, so when  they arrived a couple of weeks ago I had a pleasant surprise, or maybe it was a shock as the weather was so poor I had to leave them be, just unpacked and soaking.  Finally, in the one glimmer of summer in weeks, I potted them up into some trays {which should make watering easier} to bring them on and with any luck they will be planted into the borders in a few weeks.


They look fine, so far, none the worse for their prolonged stay out of soil.

I am not even going to share a photo of my much hoped for watercress, for although it germinated it has hardly grown at all and looks like tiny seedlings still.  I am very, very disappointed.

The crocosmia continues to thrill me and will delight for weeks to come as all those tight buds open!  Each day there is something new to how it looks.




and later, those grand, curvy stems will produce super, rust coloured seed pods which will enhance all my Autumnal decorating.

At one time I had so much Evening Primrose it was everywhere and my garden was a profusion of yellow, but, like Galadriel, they have diminished.  I had two plants left, and one succumbed to the ravages of our recent high winds, so I now have only one.  I must be diligent and harvest seed carefully in a few weeks.


A few years ago, I bought two small ferns, this one continues to delight with it's sumptuously rich, rusty tipped fronds.  I just love it, and it's a garden favourite of mine.



Turn over a frond and you find the miniature, almost alien, world of spores.



My salad crops have slowed down, but the loganberries and raspberries are picking well, and although I haven't had many strawberries this week, I can see plenty coming along again.

Another flower that once proliferated, in both pink and white, is this mallow.  Now there are only two, I guess everything takes it's turn to shine, but again a careful seed harvesting will follow.  The garden looked bridal with many tens of these in the borders.


I hope you have enjoyed our little trip around what's flowering, and bringing me delight, in my garden today.  With more bad weather expected, a break between is happily accepted, no matter how short it be!

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Deborah xoxo

20 comments:

  1. I'll trade you some of our hot weather for a little of your cold. Today isn't too bad. It's rainy, so yay! Washing away all the firework filth from our neighbors. Loved the tour! Thanks, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would welcome some warmth! We're all done with extra blankets and the heating on. Oh, don't fireworks leave such a mess?

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos. The weather forecast is not good for the whole week so hope the rain and wind doesn't flatten any more flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hear it's the tail end of a tropical storm headed our way. Again. I won't have anything left to flatten at this rate.

      Delete
  3. Our Lucifer is very prolific this year. We have the same white mallow that seems to have arrived from out of nowhere I don’t remember ever planting it. As for watercress we have a pond full of it I propagated it by putting a piece of watercress that I bought at the greengrocers into a glass of water until roots formed and then popping it in the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mallow was quite prolific, but I guess it's run it's course now. Yes, I am going to try that watercress trick next in a bucket as I don't have a pond.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos! Beautiful things from your garden! I am wondering about the new Blogger. Also wondering how to keep spam comments from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nellie. I think I spoke too soon about the new blogger, it's not letting me see the comments properly before moderation. I have moderation on to stop spam, but now it won't show me when anyone leaves a comment. Trying times!

      Delete
  5. Deb, your lovely crocosmia has me wishing for one in my garden. But alas I'm sure it needs more sun than my garden affords. It's really, really hot here with little rain falling from the heavens. I find myself praying for a least a thunderstorm. Your mallow is so pretty. We see some blooming along the trail we walk each day! I love seeing the progression of flowering plants as each plant appears on stage. Magical spider web you captured there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Ellen, have you looked up the conditions for crocosmia? There are many types, and I have the common one growing in partial shade. Always worth a go! xo

      Delete
  6. What a lovely tour, Deb, thanks. The spider web is my favorite, but I wonder that you got so close with your aversion to spiders. lol I hope your upcoming bad weather does not damage your garden at all. It's beautiful.

    Love and hugs,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend you know me well, but I assure you the spider was nowhere to be seen! xo

      Delete
  7. I so enjoy the wonderful photos of flowers blooming in your garden. Many of the names are not familiar, which makes it all the more interesting. Today I spent the morning working with two other volunteers in our city's Sister Cities Garden. We have three Sister Cities: St. Ives, England, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico and Menton, France. We volunteer as a project of our Laguna Beach Garden Club in California. The Garden had been fenced off for several months, but it did remarkably well during that time. Today we put in some new flowering plants and when we left the Garden looked quite nice. I hope your bad weather is short-lived and that you get some lovely weather for your garden and for you !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. I really should stick to the Latin names, for they do not vary from region to region, thereby making it easier if people want to locate a plant for their own garden. Your volunteering sounds like fun indeed. It's amazing how resilient things are when left to their own devices.

      Delete
  8. You have some super plants in your garden and the photos are just gorgeous. I love your new fern and the lavender looks really healthy :) We have a few Feverfew plants and a couple of pink mallow. Oh dear! I didn't realise the new blogger was going to affect us all eventually whether we want it or not! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, the fern, although put in a few years ago has only just started to flourish, so I am glad I was patient.

      Delete
  9. I am so impressed by your garden Deb. It's beautiful and filled with such a diversity of blooms and more. Well done -- I know that takes a tremendous amount of work and I admire it greatly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish we had the weather, and I didn't have arthritis, so I could really get to grips with it all. Maybe one day I will get it right.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, Deb. I especially love the fern fronds. Wish I had a thumb as green as yours!

    ReplyDelete