Saturday 15 June 2024

A Brief Update and Some Art

Hello Friends!

I'm still taking my prolonged break from social media.  Thank you for your kind messages and support.  Your lovely letters, cards and phone messages bring me such joy and lift my spirits.  In the meantime, June 1st saw the start of the annual ICAD art challenge.  Most of you know what this is, if not you can read about it HERE.  I believe this is my tenth year taking part.  This year I am using Silvine plain white, unruled 6x4 inch record cards.  If you don't want to see the art, just hop along to the end, I won't be offended!  

In no particular order the first two weeks:

Portal or Doorway.  Graphite

Zinnia.  Graphite and Coloured Pencil

Gradient.  Watercolour Pencil

Tree.  Watercolour Pencil

Owl.  Graphite

Off Prompt. Bonus Card. Mixed Media


Patisserie.  Mixed Media

Lavender.  Watercolour pencils

Waves.  Watercolour pencil

Potpourri mini challenge Maze.  Watercolour pencil


Ferris Wheel mixed media

Off prompt



Orange watercolour and micron pen

I
Recipe Watercolour


Ellipse  Graphite

Terrazzo  Gel Pens

I appreciate your messages of support and concern but I think there is a general underlying misconception over Parkinson's, as so many are very kindly sending me wishes for a speedy recovery.  Unfortunately, Parkinson's does not get better, it is a progressive degenerative disease of the nervous system and will only worsen over time.  So until a cure is found there is no getting better, just good days and bad days.  In the meantime, I am attending two days a week at a local hospice, which I enjoy, especially the time I can enjoy the warm jacuzzi which helps alleviate my painful legs.  Social Services has also arranged for eleven hours of help for me.  

In the meantime, we all now have the added worry that we are about to lose our GP Surgery and may have to face being dispersed to the nearest facilities, some 16 miles away.  This is not good news for those, like myself, without transport.  I don't know what is happening to our world.

Until next time
Stay well and stay safe
Debbie xx




8 comments:

  1. I enjoy seeing your icad pieces each year.
    Good news about the help and hospice visits - a warm jacuzzi would be welcome for many people this year I think with all this horrible weather!
    Hopefully you can find transport to the doctors - maybe volunteers will step in to help, there's a hospital car transport thing around here.
    Hate the way health care is failing so many now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sue. Unfortunately rules surrounding our hospital transport do not allow GP visits. This is something they will have to go into in some detail. Meanwhile the protest marches continue!

      Delete
  2. It is always lovely to see your wonderful art Debbie. All are super but I do like the owls and the lavender.
    Glad you are getting some help now and enjoying the jacuzzi at the hospice.
    That is awful news about your GP's surgery. No thought seems to be given to those without transport and/or with mobility problems.
    Take care Debbie. Caroline (Ragged Robin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Caroline. I thought you'd like the owls! Yes, the news is not good, and I am not alone in my predicament as there are many in the area without transport. The busses are not frequent enough and miss one by a few seconds and you are stranded in the middle of nowhere with no shelter for up to two hours.

      Delete
  3. Your I-Cads are the loveliest I have seen, well done. I'm glad you get help now, it's good that you get to spend time with others, too. Take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Valerie. Coming from an artist with such talent as you have, that is a wonderful compliment indeed.

      Delete
  4. That's dreadful news about your GP - I hope that they see sense

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your medical woes. It seems to me that the people that make the decisions, don't make very good ones. Closing doctor offices is never a good thing.

    I do enjoy seeing your artwork. And what a variety you have here. I know you like to hear what others see in your work, so I will give a brief opinion on what I see. But first I want to say they are all so well done!

    The portal done in graphite is mystical. I can almost feel the texture of the stones.
    Both zinnia's are pretty, but the colored one just pops off the page.
    You chose such pretty colors for "gradient". It reminds me of the sun trying to burn through fog.
    The "trees" are just lovely and peaceful. I want to spend some time there.
    I had seen your "owl" before and I am still amazed at all the detail you can get in such a small area.
    The "off prompt" reminds me of the bubbles I blew to entertain the grandchildren. Both children and dogs chased after the bubbles.
    The cupcakes are so pretty and well done.
    The lavender hearts made me smile, along with the rhyme.
    "Waves" is whimsical, and you can see the love you have for the ocean in it.
    The "maze" reminds me of a Japanese screen.
    I love the fireworks in the Ferris wheel one, love how they "pop".
    Your second "off prompt" reminds me of a microscopic view of woven fabric.
    The orange is bright and cheerful.
    The recipe card is just plain fun.
    The "Ellipse" one is my favorite! I love it. It makes me smile and delights me. I have no idea why, it just tickles my fancy.
    The Terrazzo looks like it could grace the entrance to a posh hotel or store. Lovely. Well done, Deb.

    ReplyDelete