Saturday 12 November 2022

Two Goddesses of the Moon and Spring

Hello friends!

I'm excited to start out by telling you that everything in this blog is my own original artwork and not done or guided by any online lessons.

I promised one of my friends that I would share my process with photos. So here is the latest piece as yet untitled. I had my 4th Covid booster inoculation on Thursday and due to a serious underlying medical condition, I was advised to rest for Friday on Saturday even if I didn't feel poorly or have a reaction, which thankfully I haven't. So, I had to find something to do and decided that Friday I would paint another fantasy portrait.  I will be resting again today as it is Saturday and I'm still following doctor's orders. So quite possibly I will do another painting.  Or maybe bake a cake. That's not exactly strenuous, is it? Mind, I do need bread. Oh dear, this could get complicated.

As yet she's untitled, she is painted on and A4 journal 90lbs paper {which really should have been a lot heavier, see below***} and is in mixed media using Neocolours II, Sakura koi watercolours, gouache, shimmer paints, and Derwent waterproof pencils.

First I made an edge to the paper using low tack sellotape. You can see this more clearly on the second photo, where it is resisting the dark blue paint. Then I set in my image and used a compass to draw the circle which would later become the moon. Because I try and work intuitively at this point I hadn't finalised the design in my mind and was uncertain whether this was going to be the moon or a halo.




When I was in school, I was taught to paint the background layers first and work forward so that the top layer of paint is what is closest to you in your subject.  so I started with the background which I knew I wanted to be a night sky and I painted this in Neocolour II water soluble crayons.



Next I painted the eyes and lips using gouache. Normally I don't do the features until later but I'm finding that I'm losing the definition by leaving them until later, so this was an experiment painting them in early to see if I could help maintain definition.  We'll know soon if it worked or not.


She certainly looks fierce now, doesn't she?  I begin to question whether or not this this was the right thing to do. Have I ruined the painting at this very early stage? Only one way to find out. Onwards and upwards!



Next I started adding flesh tone in gouache.  Suddenly, her eyes seem a little less fierce.



I always build the colours up in thin layers so a couple more layers of flesh coloured paints and some more colour added to the eyes and lips and she's starting to look much better. That fierce look has now been muted and knocked back.




Sadly, I do feel I have lost some of the. Definition around the eyes, nose, and lips. They are not my strong point, and I must practise more.




 At this point I have to decide is that circle behind her going to be a silver moon or a golden halo.  So, working intuitively I roughly block in the colours for her hair and her dress.  I can tell immediately that gold is not going to work so silver it is and we have a moon in silver shimmer paint.




The final outcome, with which I am happy.  However, I may add some spatters of white paint on the dark areas of the sky.  Hopefully they will add a an extra. air of magic to the painting.



Here is another one I did last week, it's in the same journal {as the one above, and is also mixed media. I wanted to have a little play with my gouache and inktense paints just see how they interact and basically just to get a better feel for how to use them, so that is the mixed media for this one.  she started out life as a doodle I'm just kind of grew from there, organically and intuitively.  I didn't want to draw hands. It's not something I've done yet, and I didn't want to ruin the piece with ugly, badly drawn hands as it was developing well. Consequently, she's holding a bouquet of flowers!

Is something extremely wistful and maybe melancholy in her expression. I feel she has a story to tell, don't you?



A couple of people have asked me what is mixed media. Basically, it's anything where you use more than one type of medium. So for example if I paint a picture using my koi Sakura watercolours that is a single medium work. However if I introduced even just one more elements of medium, for example watercolour pencils, then it becomes mixed media because I have used more than one medium. Some mixed media projects are quite elaborate because people use all sorts of things in their work, not just flat work which is what I tend to do.  I hope the people who asked are reading this and I hope I've made sense.

*** I know I should be using better quality paper than 90lbs, mainly because of the amount of water that is used and the absorbency of the paper, but after all I am just learning and starting out on this painting journey and it's easier on the wallet to make mistakes on cheaper paper than it is on the 140lbs, or 300gsm weight paper that I should be using.


Until next time
Stay safe stay well
Debbie xoxo


16 comments:

  1. Wow, they are brilliant.
    I think the second lady is ready for her wedding but not sure she wants to go through with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Yes, there's definitely something going on there. Maybe she's the bridesmaid and she knows the groom is about to make a huge mistake with his choice of bride?

      Delete
  2. As I have commented before, you really are talented, my friend! I do believe your pieces require a story to tell and you are the one to do that. The process is interesting. When an artist captures the mood of a person and we want to know more--that's what draws me to their work as yours does. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Ellen. Thank you so much for your kind words. I do my best when starting out to not begin with a preconceived notion, and I work intuitively so the character develops as I'm working. That way I get to know my characters as they develop and often have a bit of a surprise at the end!
      have a great weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I just wrote a long comment, and then it just disappeared : Poof! I love both of your paintings, but the first one with the moon goddess is my fave, so beautiful. The 2nd lady has such wonderful hair, I would love thick and bushy hair like that instead of my thin strands! Have a great weekendd, look after yourself! And ye, bake a cake. Or an apple pie! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Blogger does that to us from time to time, doesn't it? Thank you for trying again! Like you, I wish my own hair was like that too. I've always hankered after what I call Titian, or pre Raphaelite hair. At least I can live vicariously through my artwork!
      have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Those are lovely. I enjoy seeing the process from start to finish too. Clever lass you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bovey Belle. I thought people might be interested in seeing the process, especially with how frighteningly awful it can look just a few steps in, when you think you've ruined everything. It's amazing how it develops and comes back. When I think of all the work I've abandoned because I think it's ruined. Wish I'd learned to push through years ago.

      Delete
  5. Both are so beautiful they really are and it was so useful to see the different phases as you progressed with the first one. I think I've mentioned before how much I love the posy of flowers on the second one.

    I hope you still feel fine after the vaccination and are having a good weekend. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Still fine after the vaccination.

      Delete
  6. Well, first of all, glad you didn't have a reaction and are now fully up to date with the boosting. Always a relief. I loved seeing your step-out photos and both of your ladies are simply beautiful with marvelous and very thoughtful expressions. Truly lovely work, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. I'm not as fully vaccinated as those who've have had seven! Already working on my next portrait. She's going to be a bit of a surprise.

      Delete
  7. The first one is my favourite. I remember having to dampen the paper and stretching it on a wooden frame before painting. It was quite a faff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Gosh, it's been years since I've stretched paper. I used to quite enjoy the process. Especially when it went well! I don't do it now because I'm actually working out of journal book. Of course, it means when I use a lot of water the paper cockles, which isn't great. But there's more than one way of sorting it out.

      Delete
  8. They are simply beautiful, Deb. I like them both in different ways, so I can't choose a favorite. But I agree with the others, the second one has a story to tell and I'm not sure it's a happy one. The first one is very regal in her gaze. Very well done!

    Love and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Yes, the second one definitely has a story to tell, doesn't she? So please you like them. xoxo

      Delete