Friday 23 September 2022

Pumpkins Galore!

Hello friends!

Warning. If you don't like pumpkins, look away now!!!

Once again, it's Autumn and pumpkin season is upon us. My friend owns a sunflower farm, which at this time of year becomes a pumpkin patch farm. I'll be putting a link in later if you're able to go, but I know for most of you will it will be impossible.  I'm sure you'll find your own wonderful attractions near where you are.

Imagine my delight to be able to photograph some freshly harvested local grown pumpkins on a warm Autumn afternoon. I jumped at the opportunity. Those of you who know me well, know I have a bit of a thing about pumpkins. The more patterns and the gnarlier, the better!!  These are beauties. The varieties here are: Turks Turban, Harvest Moon, Sweet Lightning, Harlequin, Crown Prince, Casparita, and Kabocha.  

Could anything be more versatile? Firstly, you decorate with them. Secondly, in my case, you paint them. And thirdly, you eat them, turning them into delicious soup, stews, breads, pies, risotto. And more. My friend says they make excellent crisps, or chips depending which side of the Atlantic you're on!

Before I forget, here's the link to the Facebook page, which has all the details if you are in the area and wish to visit.  Pembrokeshire Pumpkin Farm.  There's loads of seasonal attractions. A haunted barn. A hay bale trail. And other things to do besides picking out beautiful pumpkins to decorate or eat.

Here are my photos. The first batch are taken with my Panasonic. DMC FZ45. The second batch which follow that are all square are taken on my phone.















Taken with my phone








Well, my friends, I hope you've enjoyed the trip around the pumpkins. I hope to get more photographs again. There are long lasting fruit and it's nice to take advantage of the different levels of sun light at this time of year. Also, they'll be popping up in my seasonal decorations, which I'll share later.

How do you like to use pumpkins? Do you use them just for decorating or purely for culinary purposes? Do you have a favourite recipe? Are you like me? Your pumpkins will be decorating your home from now until the end of November. I'd love to know.

Until next time. 
Stay safe, stay well.
Debbie.


11 comments:

  1. So lovely to see the pumpkins on the other side of the pond, Deb! Pumpkins are such happy gourds. I love using them in decorations now through our Thanksgiving with yummy treats. I particularly am fond of the stem of a pumpkin--the gnarlier and longer the better in my opinion! Now I must visit your link. Happy pumpkin days ahead, my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. Yes, pumpkins are finally starting to catch on Across the Pond. And about time too!!! Pumpkin stems are something else, aren't they? I have several that I've kept over the years. I use them on fabric pumpkins. There's a really lovely one on the big pumpkin, Harvest Moon. Some of the smaller ones have got nice ones too. Hope you enjoyed the link. Take care my friend. xoxo

      Delete
  2. All of your photos are so beautiful, Deb. Crystal clear, sharp as a tack and beautifully arranged. What a wonderful selection of pumpkins and gourds they have. I'm always using them as decor in the fall and they have some beauties I've not seen here! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. There is an excellent quality of light of an Autumn afternoon, don't you think? It softens and warms everything it touches. I'm hoping to get some more photos soon, in the morning light. Pumpkins make obliging subjects! My friend does grow many varieties, for certain. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful and colorful pumpkins. You capture them well. What a wonderful gift to receive! I hope you enjoy them to the fullest. I just eat them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Darlene. Yes, I'm very lucky. To be honest, it's a good job they were chosen for me, otherwise I'd probably still be there this morning changing my mind on which I like best xoxo

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post and great photos. There is a wonderful selection of pumpkins there. We went last year for the first time to a Pumpkin Farm and bought about 6 different types. We do make lanterns for hallowe'en but also use them for cooking - pumpkin pie, soup etc. They are so versatile as you say.

    Stay safe and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ragged Robin. Pumpkin farms are fun, aren't they? I don't know how many varieties my friend grows. I must ask her. If you check the link to the Facebook page you'll her photos. You don't have to be on Facebook to see them. I don't make lanterns. I keep my pumpkins whole and decorate with them and then eat them later on in the year.
      Take care, my friend, and stay safe.

      Delete
  5. Some lovely shapes and colours there.
    There's a pumpkin/sunflower farm not far from me too. The people want to get permission for a house by using the land for growing but I reckon they'll need to do more than just pumpkins and sunflowers - neither need much looking after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Yes, pumpkin farms are popping up all over now, becoming very popular. My friend's Pumpkin Farm is full of attractions, not just pumpkins. She's really put a big effort into it for someone who's just recently retired.

      Delete
  6. I like to use them in a Moroccan tagine and also like pumpkin pie

    ReplyDelete