Thursday 1 July 2021

Every One is My Favourite!

Hello Friends

It's July 1st and we're sitting under a cold blanket of sea fog that rolled in off the Atlantic last evening.  First thing this morning the heating came on, and I'm not sorry in the least, it's that chilly! I would rather this chilly fog than the searing temperatures in Pakistan and the Pacific North West.

I don't know why it is, but with each new flower that blooms, every one is my new favourite.

Rosa Mundi is now opening.  David Austin describes the fragrance as "old rose".  I describe it as intoxicating and divine.  I really must get these out of the pots though.



Alchemilla Mollis, or Ladies' Mantle.  One of the great doers in any garden.  It fills in gaps with large mounds of furry green leaves which come to life when covered with early morning dew, or after a fall of rain, when the hairy leaves gather the moisture into a thousand crystal jewels.  This dew is considered by Alchemists to be the most pure and precious, highly prized water of all for their magic.

At this time of year, the bright lime green yellow flowers open, and that acid pop of colour seems to compliment anything it flowers against, making everything sing.  The garden is a froth of puffs of yellow, and the stems are stunning in small floral arrangements.

You can throw almost anything at this plant and it will still come back, giving of it's best, year after year.




The dwarf clematis is now full of leaf!  Great joy that it has recovered so well.  It just goes to show how tenacious nature is.  Maybe the plants shall inherit the Earth after all?


The yellow rose is now opening in glorious clusters of sunshine



I bought these lavenders last Spring.  I followed the instructions to pot them up to bring them on before planting out but they didn't grow, not one inch, and I am very disappointed with them.  They looked so dishevelled in January that I nearly threw them out as a bad job, but I didn't.  Still nothing happened, but this Spring, in desperation, I put three plants into the border and they have done very little, and now I'm noticing yellowing of the leave, however, the ones still in the trays do suddenly seem to be putting on some spurt of growth, doubling in size and have produced some spikes.  I must prepare space for them, lickity split, to plant them out in the hopes all is not lost.  





I put down a layer of Strulch, an organic, mineralised straw mulch and soil enhancer and now wonder if that is causing the yellowing?

My fir tree 
which was not doing well after repotting is recovering nicely!  Sometimes all you need is to give plenty of TLC, and have a lot of patience!



Finally, even though Summer is only just here, there's that early reminder that Autumn, with all her glorious bounty, is just around the corner.


Until next time
Stay safe, stay well

p.s. due to this being Wimbledon fortnight, comments may be delayed in publishing and may not get an immediate reply!

9 comments:

  1. It's cold here, too, but I like it better than the extreme heat we had lately. Your garden flowers look great, one lovelier than the other, and as you say, hard to pick a fave, I love them all! Enjoy Wimbledon! Stay well, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you appreciate the cold, Deb. But I do hope you get some nice summery days this year. No hot weather though unless it benefits the plants! Those Rosa Mundis are stunning! And yay, the lavender still has a chance! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its cloudy and gloomy here but somewhat humid :( Your photos are lovely and the roses, especially the first one< just stunning. Ladies' Mantle does seem to put up with everything and is so good for filling in gaps between perennials :)
    I bought 3 lavenders last year and only one, the French lavender, seems to have survived :( I may buy some more if we go to the National Herb Centre as the few large plants I still have are getting somewhat old and woody!

    Pleasaed to see the Christmas Tree is recovering. We find re-potting ours every few years gives it a new lease of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THe Rosa Mundis are so lovely, Deb, as are all of your blossoms! I'm with you, whatever is blooming is my favorite. Lavender is a tricky plant for me as well. I've found that they really don't like a lot of water. Mine bloomed and gave me a nice bouquet, but now looks quite tired of the hot weather. They feel the same as me! Take care, my friend, and stay safe. xoxo Don't slip on the grass court at Wimbleton.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely garden, Deb! I always enjoy the blossoms you share! Enjoy Wimbledon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why these are all your favorites -- and why shouldn't you have more than one (or two or three or ten?!) I love lavender and I'm hoping mine does well enough while I'm gone. This fall I think I will plant it in the garden or at least try to weather it over winter. It's not a very big plant but it's doing quite well -- I love it and I'm so glad yours is doing well. The fir is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had Rosa Mundi in my last garden. It's beautiful. Here my new David Austin roses are just starting to bloom -oh my! I will do a post soon.

    The Lavender with yellowing looks under stress (I have a Rosemary just like it, which I potted on and it's been sulking ever since). Other plants I put into the new border have been the same. I put it down to lack of water when in pots (they were in the yard, which faces South) as now they are in the ground, they are starting to thrive.

    Alchemilla mollis is not going to be allowed in the new border as it is too invasive. Here it romps away across the paddock/orchard, having ESCAPED!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alchemilla mollis is a bit of a thug in our garden seeding itself all over. Soon I will have to cull a few specimens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your garden is blooming beautifully, and especially that not only are the yellow roses doing well, but the lavender surprised you by thriving after all.

    Hope you're enjoying the tennis.

    ReplyDelete