Monday 12 October 2020

The Heart in My Art

Hello Friends!

One thing I discovered during lockdown, if later rather than sooner, is that my days always go better if I start them off with something creative.  This can be anything.  Writing Morning Pages, making art, crafting, baking, photography, blogging, or gardening. Anything that gets me creating, making something useful or pretty, and, importantly, that distracts me from the trials of the world.  It clears my mind of those unwanted thoughts, the voices that disturb and distract, it sharpens my focus.  Getting creative with housework doesn't count.

For some time, I have put my creativity mostly into baking, which probably hasn't done me any good.  All those yummy, calorie laden cakes and fresh baked bread which require consumption! {which reminds me, today it's scones}  I think we've all done our fair share of comfort eating in recent months. 

Quite simply, even though I am not very good at it, art used to be my world, but my heart has not been in my art for some time; it's always been on the periphery, but never where it truly belongs, which is at the centre of my being.  As my life's purposes changed over several years from art student, to a string of jobs including National Trust employee, to full time care giver, I have gone from being in an art studio all day long to barely having enough time to shower, brush my teeth and comb my hair.  

Slowly, my heart slipped out of my art and, while there was little I could do about it, I missed it and grieved for its absence in my life.  Sometimes you have to be engulfed by the dark so you can see how bright the light shines.

Recently, as the need to create through the media of art returns to my life, I have been doodling, and playing with colour and {mostly} paint and watercolours.  I tried to get myself back into the swing of things during ICAD 2020 but fell by the wayside so quickly that it shocked me to the core.  I have no idea why, I have always enjoyed, and completed, the 61 day challenge. 

Here are some of the pieces I did, and considering I have done little or no art in years it was like going from nought to sixty in three seconds.





I enjoyed doing what I did, but knew there was no point in forcing myself.  {note to self:  Hearts, sunflowers, and mushrooms seem to be a recurring theme in my work}  Nothing good ever comes from forcing it.

So, time passed, my creativity continued to channel into baking, inclement weather governed my spasmodic gardening, and then there was baking, and more baking. Until a few weeks ago when cleaning some shelves, I found some old colouring books and I pulled out my paints again.  I am not very good at drawing, so colouring books give me the lines to play with my paints.  I love few things more than pushing paint and colour around on paper.

Here's a few of the pages I did from the Johanna Basford "Enchanted Forest" book.

These first three images are a two page spread I tried to colour in a graduated rainbow








her work is so intricate and detailed, sometimes I struggle to complete a page, so this one sits awaiting my patience to return!

I thought about participating in Inktober but it didn't speak to me.

Here's some pages from my on the go A5 pocket sketch book.  I love how the media sometimes bleeds through and gives a different look from the other side.




This stylised tree is a motif I return to from time to time and work through in different ways



So, for now, as the gardening winds down and the soil and borders and pots and containers are put to bed for the Winter; as the calorie laden baking has to be reconsidered; as mask making continues; and as I once more turn to the daily practice of Morning Pages, so I will make time during the day for art.  I know my heart has returned to my art, and I know I will be all the better for it, no matter how small a piece I do each day.

Do you have any creative practices that keep your mind and soul together? We all need a creative distraction in these peculiar times in which we live.

Until next time,
Stay safe, Stay well
Deborah xo

32 comments:

  1. Deb, I find our creative souls have seasons. I've gone from needlework to sewing to ceramics to painting to so many outlets too many to name. My heart always focuses on my home. The art of homemaking is what really speaks to my soul. Gardening is a constant favorite for me and never waxes and wanes. I've had to let baking go as I want to stay healthy as I age.
    I always enjoy seeing your lovely art whenever you share. The lovely vibrant colors that you use always comes to my attention as I too love vibrant colors.
    Enjoy this new week, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. I agree, creating is seasonal. In Summer I want something light to hold, in Winter something to maybe lie across my lap for a layer of warmth? Of course, a gardener's work is never done, and even as the garden winds down, it's time to plan ahead and buy seeds.
      Stay safe and well, Deb xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love this post! I've recently discovered the art of making journals, altered books etc. I love it and yearn to spend hours in my craft room. Love your coloring pages - great job. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I've been thinking about you and am wondering how you are getting along with the Life Book 2021 Taster Sessions? Deb

      Delete
  3. I stopped baking year’s ago as you say it just made us eat too many cakes and puddings. I enjoy photography and am trying to focus this year on learning more about my camera. I also like manipulating the images to produce art work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Yes, I could see on your own blog where you are using the settings on your camera. I find them quite challenging indeed.

      Delete
  4. Hi Deb! I have reduced my baking to once a week, it's just too dangerous because home made always tastes sooooo good! Your art is beautiful, and I'm pleased you are making tome for it again. Making art, walking and taking photos are the things which keep me sane and keep me from despairing in the long hours always alone. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. Home baking does taste just so good, so much better than shop bought. I am glad you like my work, it means a lot coming from such a talented creative spirit, such as yourself. Stay safe and well, hugs, Deb

      Delete
  5. Hi, Deb! I always love your art! Unfortunately for my waistline, it seems that the kitchen is the site where most of my “creativity” occurs. On my way there now, in fact!;-) Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Nellie. oh, if you are off to the kitchen now, I'm on my way. What are you baking today, I wonder? Stay safe and well, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Still baking here but only once or twice a week. Your art is so beautiful - you are very talented. I did try and teach myself to paint wild flowers but gave up in the end because I just was not improving! The colouring books I tried and I agree they are lovely but I couldn't really get into it. I do like making the occasional knitted toy or scarf or blanket. The latter you can do while watching tv. I did try journalling but don't really have anywhere to lay all the stuff out for hours on end as I have to put it all away at teatime as I use the table. I think at the moment it is very important to have pastimes you can get involved in and to focus on to distract you as you say from the world we currently live in. A lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ragged Robin. A problem I encounter is coordinating good light with personal time management. I know it sounds odd. I should not be colouring or drawing during the daylight when jobs need doing, but in the evenings, even with a good LED floor lamp for crafting, shadows cast and it is not easy. I confess to having half my kitchen counters often taken up with painting! As for the dining table, what dining table? I remember seeing some of the lovely things you made in one of your blogs.

      Delete
  7. Your art is lovely. I especially like the graduated rainbow. I would love to learn to paint with watercolors. Maybe in my retirement years. I am also creative in the kitchen. And I like to crochet and quilt. I would also like to do more in creating greeting cards. But, like you, I am in the years of busyness, so it will have to wait until either the grandchildren grow up or I retire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay. All I can say is get yourself some watercolour pans, brushes and paper and go for it. It's addictive, and I know your family and friends would love your watercolour cards immensely. Don't wait just do it!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you've been able to return to the art that gives you so much joy once more. I know the feeling, since it's how I feel about my writing. This year has been a bad one for productivity, but even through all the hardships of this year, I've been able to see that the days I can snatch some writing time always feel brighter somehow. Keep creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. I was falling into a trap of finding solace in social media, but then realised it was taking over in a bad way, so I began making myself create again. It didn't take long to shift the balance, and now my time is spent playing with paint or words srather than scrolling through the pain on social media. Stay safe and well!

      Delete
    2. Glad you were able to shift the balance.

      Delete
  9. So glad to know you are getting back into being creative in a way that is right for you. I have the Enchated Forest colouring book too. Not many have been finished, but the are soothing and relaxing to do. Morning pages are a great way to reboot the brain aren't they. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. She does lovely, detailed illustrations, but sometimes a little too detailed for my eyesight and patience! I am in need of a sight test too. Stay safe and well xo

      Delete
  10. Deborah, your reply to Victoria's comment reminded me—there is an extraordinary documentary on Netflix just now called The Social Dilemma. Fascinating! I'm glad you've gotten back to your art. I only just got into it about a year and a half ago and I'm hooked for life. I've combined it with my love of baking and cooking and sometimes include a watercolor painting in my food blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. I don't have Netflix, but will see if I can find that somewhere else maybe. Being a foodie is not so great in lockdown, but I'm redressing it by rethinking my cooking practices. I must check out your blog. Stay safe and well.

      Delete
  11. Your blog post is beautiful and you've lifted my heart. I've been watching Great British Bakeoff and spent time perfecting my meringues. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Buttercup. Oh! Meringues, not something I make very often but have done, but really want to try Italian meringue one day. Stay safe and well.

      Delete
  12. A really interesting post and I love your fungi! Worry does inhibit creativity- it's a rare day that I don't do something creative- even cooking a dinner involves a litttle alchamy! At the moment I am doing a little pin weaving- whch is excellent mindfullness - all the under and overing. Look forward to seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. I hope you will post pictures of your pin weaving on your own blog. I now have to pootle over to Google to find out what it is! Stay safe and well.

      Delete
  13. A belated Thank You for posting the American Tea Cake recipe on August 17! I made it a few days ago so it's now nearly gone but it was so simple to make and absolutely delicious! I used my husband's grandmothers glass loaf pan and some leftover diced mixed fruit along with cranraisins to make the needed one cup amount. I'll certainly be making it again!

    Love the delightful drawings on this post! I doodle, but am mostly a quilter these days.

    Wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara Anne, and especially for letting me know that you made the American Tea Cake recipe with success. How wonderful to have an heirloom pan in which to bake it too. I also quilt and have many projects that are WiPs. Stay safe and well!

      Delete
  14. Oh Deb, your work is so very beautiful. I love your mushrooms and trees and for that matter, every one of your own pieces. I think many of us "fall from creativity" at times -- simply because life happens, as you well know. I admire those who can make the art everyday commitment but I fear I am not one of them. It's easy enugh in the summer when I not only have a good spot to work but unlimited time with few obligations. But the rest of the year? There is always something calling my attention -- rooms to clean, things to sort and downsize, board tasks to do. Of course, I also waste a lot of time. Sometimes all I have left at the end of the day is just sit down and watch something silly or read a book. The thing about being creative, though, is that sometimes when we start -- as you did, pushing color around on your color book pages -- it jumpstarts us to want to do more. As you said, with the garden put to bed, that will give you more time and creating your enchanting art will be a lovely break from the cold winter days to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie, for your lovely words. How I hear you! The longer hours of summer daylight certainly help out our creativity. In the winter, though, there's always something to call us away during daylight, isn't there? After the sun has set, I struggle. I am prone to distraction activities and can procrastinate like nobody's business!
      Stay safe and well, my friend!

      Delete
  15. as i was reading this there is a loaf of bread baking in the oven, Deborah, but in my defense it's the first baked good in over 2 weeks. Home baked is so much better than store bought and with a homemade soup and a salad will be tonight's dinner. I enjoyed seeing the artwork and my favorite weas the small nest with the blue eggs. Lately I have been trying to focus on learning a photo editing program that has been on my PC for a couple of years. There are several online tutorials yet I always find distractions. You are not the only one who is prone to procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beatrice. I am not sure why you have to defend yourself for baking fresh, home made bread. So much better in so many ways than store bought by a mile! I bake bread weekly.

      Delete
  16. Deborah, I love watercolour and love to see what everyone is doing with it. I only took up painting for the first time in my life in 2019. I had always said if ever I were to try my hand at painting it would be watercolour, and one day I just decided to make a start. But it hasn't stopped me baking!

    ReplyDelete