Saturday 8 June 2019

Pretty Vintage Handkerchiefs

Hello Friends!

It is a heart wrenching task sorting through the possessions of my dearly loved and much missed mother.  These are the days when you see everything in a new and different light, and all things become special treasures as you lovingly, carefully, and slowly sift through a lifetime of love and happy memories and come across some exceptionally pretty, lovely things.  Who would have guessed that the ordinary, quite unremarkable box, long forgotten in the back of the wardrobe would contain over a hundred beautiful vintage handkerchiefs?

I have carefully washed, and lovingly pressed them all. and taken photographs of some of them. I have yet to decide what to do with so many! I use real handkerchiefs every day. I only use paper ones if I am suffering with a particularly contagious cold virus.

There are all sorts here, from beautifully hand embroidered vintage and antique ones; some with fine, drawn thread work; lace embellished ones; some of the sort we would receive at Christmas in the 1960's from an elderly aunt, three in a box. Some are plain; others printed. Why, there is even a commemorative royal handkerchief with the young princesses Elizabeth and Margaret on.  They are all lovely. They are all old. They are all treasured. Some are already put to use for their intended purpose, while the more delicate ones will be carefully preserved, maybe used in shadow boxes with some of my vintage and antique buttons, ribbons and lace.  All the while, I shall wonder, I shall ponder upon to whom they may have belonged and how such a collection came to my mother.

Here are a few of my favourites.



















I have always enjoyed using a proper handkerchief, and I still choose real linen or cotton over paper ones daily. I keep a handkerchief in every pocket, for I love pulling out a special, prettily patterned or embroidered piece of fabric to daintily wipe away a tear or a sniffle, or even to remove that smidgeon of chocolate that escapes being eaten. There's something quite special, a nod to a more genteel, refined and less throwaway age. Oh, but I have some heartily man size handkerchiefs too, for colds and serious sniffles and hay fever season!  Some of these vintage lovelies have already found their way into my personal selection for use.  Do you still use real handkerchiefs?

Until next time
Deborah xo

17 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I love my hankies and can't seem to stop collecting them. When I pull one out to use I'm carried back in time to watching my granny pull one out of her purse during church. Thanks for such a lovely post. You've brought back wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, it's surprising how something as simple as a handkerchief can evoke such memories.

      Delete
  2. You have found such a lovely box of treasures full of memories. The embroidery and lacework is just exquisite. I do have a few table clothes from my mother and I remember her and my grandparents embroidering - they did try to teach me without much success!

    I must admit I don't use real handkerchiefs these days (just tissues) but having seen your post it is now something I will think about using. Thank you so much for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The handwork is really something else, such effort for a mundane, every day object raised to a new level.

      Delete
  3. Remnants of the past - so pretty, so poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those old lace edged or embroidered hankies are beautiful. I used to get those boxes of 3 hankies from Aunts too, even used them back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I was once covered in handkerchiefs and sent off to a fancy dress dance as a Handkerchief Satchel"! {I still have some of those too}

      Delete
  5. Far too pretty for the intended purpose. My husband still uses handkerchiefs by I prefer tissues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While very pretty they are quite robust and sturdy. It's the same with everything though: what is the point of keeping them to look at?

      Delete
  6. Sorry it's taken me so long to comment on this post, Deb. You already know that I use Hankies. Like you, I rarely use tissues. I have my Dad's hankies now. They aren't anything like your Mum's, obviously, but I enjoy using them and thinking of him as I do. Dad always used hankies and my Mom uses tissues. I take after my Dad, in many ways. ;-)

    Thanks for showing some of yours.
    Love and hugs,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my friend, I also have my Dad's hankies too, nice big ones for when I have a cold! It is somewhat comforting to me too. Hugs, Deb xoxo

      Delete
  7. I love my material hankies! I use them all the time, and have been mocked by almost everyone I know for doing so!! I realise they're not supposed to be hygenic enough for our modern germ-free world but who cares...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reply to those people is they now say we live in far too sterile a world, consequently we have no natural resistance. Most cotton handkerchiefs are quite able to withstand a boil wash to get them thoroughly clean.

      Delete
  8. I love seeing all these handkerchiefs, they reminded me of my grandma!When we were first married, Terry carried men's handkerchiefs but slowly phased them out. I can't imagine how many you would use when having a cold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am absolutely enchanted with your "Pretty Vintage Handkerchiefs", because I have quite a few myself and I like using them all the time !! Rather late into my life, I decided to start using handkerchiefs, especially after my Mother gave me quite a lot of them that she had stored away. Like you, I have wondered who they belonged to first and who did the beautiful embroidery and drawn thread work. Something I have always intended to do is to find a book or books that are on the history of vintage handkerchiefs, and also about how the work was done. I still hope to do that. I am very curious to find out exactly how that drawn thread work is done. I am also intrigued with the tiny rolled hems. If you know of such a book, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad someone else has the same sort of collection and thoughts. Books are available, but either now out of print, or prohibitively and ridiculously expensive.

      Delete