Monday 3 June 2019

Betty's Smile

Hello Friends!

Today I have something very special to share with you. It is bitter sweet, and comes with tears of joy mingled with rivers of sadness and grief.

Last October, as some of you know, I lost my darling mother to that most awful of diseases that suddenly seems to be reaching pandemic proportions, Dementia. I do not know a family that has not been devastated by this dreadful disease, and nearly every day now I am hearing of yet another friend, or friend of a friend, who has received a diagnosis.

I pray every day for a cure; I send healing love to anyone who is affected by Dementia, and especial love to the care givers.

My dear cousins wanted to give me something very special to remember her by, and a few months ago, a parcel arrived at my cottage, and contained within was a large pot with a rose shrub for my cottage garden.

I wept floods of tears when I read the name of the rose, "Betty's Smile".  Betty was my mother's pet name, and when I wrote her eulogy, I spoke of how her smile could light up a room, for she had a very beautiful smile that complimented her sparkling eyes. She loved roses. It could not be a more perfect gift.

As my garden is in that state of limbo where work is being done, and things moved, I have potted it up into a huge pot to give it plenty of growing room while I pick the perfect spot to put it in the ground.

Just this week, the first beautiful bloom opened, a delicate cream touched with palest pink. Mum would have adored it, for it is gently fragrant too. I hope she is looking down on it, with love.




Until next time
Deborah xo

21 comments:

  1. Tea tartan and tom on twitter3 June 2019 at 15:58

    I am so sorry for your loss. I sent my heart out to gv yours a hug. That is such a beautiful rose and such a thoughtful and poignant gift. I think that you are so wise to take some time away from social media for self care. I know for sure that she is looking down on you and the rose, restored and with a mother's love and appreciating all the care that you gave her. Luv and hugs, A Susan Branch Girlfriend

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful, and a wonderful reminder of your Mum's love. Thank you for sharing this story with us. I am going to see if I can find a Betty's Smile rose for my dear Auntie with the same name, Betty. Best wishes to you. - another Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think they are available online only at the moment, but could be wrong. I am certain your Auntie will love it!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful Rose. I'm sure you will find the perfect spot for it when you have sorted out your garden. I had a rose from friends called "Thinking of you" when Colin died.That was a kind thought too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; we have special friends who are so thoughtful

      Delete
  4. Betty's Smile is a lovely name for a beautiful rose, dear Deb. Such a meaningful gift and reminder of your Mum. I hope in due time you too will smile when you gaze upon its beauty. Sending hugs and love, sweet friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful rose and lovely tribute to your Mum! I am sure she is smiling down on you and the rose with love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely, thoughtful gift,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betty's Smile is a beautiful rose and quite fitting for a much-loved mother. May it bring a smile to your face each year as the buds open up, washing away a little more sadness as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Deb, it is such a gorgeous color and just perfect for your precious Mum. It is her love blooming for you, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very moving and poignant post and such a thoughtful gift from your cousins. The rose is so beautiful and a lovely way to remember your mum.

    Dementia is such an awful disease (my mum passed away last April from Advanced Alzheimers and my husband's mother a few months before from vascular dementia). It is so hearbreaking to relatives and friends witnessing the effects of dementia on someone so loved.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It completely breaks my heart when I learn that someone else has travelled a similar path and knows the indescribable pain of watching a loved one slip away. Words cannot describe the utterly complete devastation that this disease brings, to the entire family.

      Thinking of you and sending healing light and love.

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry you lost your mom, Deb! Many women in my family have died of dementia. It truly is insidious. That rose is so luscious! How sweet of your cousins to give you such a beautiful thing to remind you of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am sorry to read about your family.

      Delete
  11. You wrote such a lovely tribute to your Mother. I think the "Betty's Smile rose is wonderful, and how special that your cousins found it. I was so taken with this rose I had to share your blog post with some gardening friends.

    ReplyDelete