Friday 1 November 2019

Remembering

Hello Friends!

Outside my cottage door the plaintive cry of a new born month howls and piteously moans "Let me in! Let me in!" begging to be fed from the welcoming, life giving warmth of my fireside.  Leaves, once green and full of life now fall, brown and shrivelled into heaps of mouldering damp along the verges; the wind blows raw and cutting keen, chilling weary travellers to the bone; fast falls the rain in laden torrents from charged, fraught clouds that swim above our unsuspecting heads; the fading light is all but spent; and so the year drifts quickly by; and slowly we open the door to welcome in November.


November.  All Saint's Day.  All Souls Day.  Remembrance Sunday.  For some of us a month of anniversaries.  A month of quiet remembering, perhaps the most fitting month of all to sit in silence and reflect upon another year that's nearly spent.

Until next time
Deborah xo

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing, Deb. I think our November has come in like a lion -- we had snow for Halloween. Never before. Your "life giving warmth of the fireside" is so inviting. I would be delighted to come in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. yes, our weather systems have gone a little bit wild, but the door is always open for friends, old and new!

      Delete
  2. I hate to repeat, but it is very beautiful and well said. Just lovely words to bring memories to mind. Thanks! I'm going to sit here for a minute in the silence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend. Enjoy the peace that comes with the silence.

      Delete
  3. November is right on que here at my home, Deb. Yesterday was a warm humid blustery tornadic one pushing out October and letting in November. Yes, it's quite hard to accept yet another year is nearly done. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and soon it will be a new year ushered in. Stay safe in that weather! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful words. I've just spent a few moments remembering lost loved ones - November is a time of reflection and your words are so apt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. November always seems to be a turning point for so many reasons.

      Delete
  5. You conjure atmosphere beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Deborah. November is month of remembrances for me. It is the month my mother gave birth to me and month she passed 44 years later two days before my birthday. It is also the month I lost my best friend in 2004. But it is also Thanksgiving month here in America, so for me it is indeed a bittersweet month.

    ReplyDelete