Thursday 24 October 2019

Autumn Miscellany

Hello Friends!

Autumn weather with all it's many changeable moods and unreliability is well and truly upon us.  If you don't like it, wait a few minutes and it will surely change!  One day it is raining and blowing, the next it is calm, the sun shines in a blue sky and those are the days when housework can wait!  If the weather is good I will abandon the cleaning and get myself wrapped up and outside, camera in hand, and off I go.  I can only manage shorter walks of a couple of miles, and not too many hills, for this virus lingers and has knocked me sideways; after two months I have to do what I can to regain my stamina for longer walks with hills.

Steel grey stems with silvery spider webs strewn across a skeletal seed head sitting, shimmering in the afternoon sunshine


Happily I wander, following my feet, one step after another is all it takes, as I meander along the old and ancient pilgrim path that follows a twisting river valley floor.  Autumn sun shines from a clear, pale blue sky and gimmers through the shady trees so tall


Meanwhile, in my cottage garden rose hips and Cotoneaster berries, richly ripe and ruby red, provide a forage feast for birds, as they bring a last firework burst of colour to the borders.







Tread lightly, go carefully, for around our feet lie the homes of fairy folk!




A muted morning Autumn light, a quality that softens the landscape all around


High in the tree tops by a babbling brook the pinecones hang and droop. Tempting morsels for the squirrels to feast upon as they nimbly climb and scurry to the topmost branches.


Along a mossy topped wall hide tiny leaves of penny wort



In the high street, delightful Autumn pumpkins sit outside the local vegetable shop.  Who will buy?


Until next time
Deborah xo

17 comments:

  1. I adore Autumn and the way you describe it, Deb! Wonderful photos of the beauty that it brings to your area. I'm sure every day as you continue to walk, your stamina will return. The triplet pumpkin photo is great, worthy of framing as they say. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Getting there slowly. xo

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful autumnal images - I just love them all :) The Pilgrim's Path looks interesting. You do live in a very lovely area and your descriptions are so beautiful. I do like the tiny leaves of pennywort - they look like miniature toadstools.

    I do hope you feel hundred per cent soon - it must have been a particularly nasty virus you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, I often think that same thing of the new, baby pennywort plants.

      Delete
  3. My Friend,
    You have the gift of prose and the eye to catch the most perfect photos. A post from you is a chance to go for a magical trip to your lovely corner of the world and have a reprieve from the endless to do list and obligations. It is truly a balm for my soul. Thanks again for transporting me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dearest, and you know you will be welcome any time! xo

      Delete
  4. Such a delight to see your part of the world in Autumn! We, too, are seeing tinges of gold, red and orange peeking through the maples, and pumpkins of various hues and sizes are found near all of our shops, too. Good to hear from you, Deb. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful in your world, Deb. I love those rose hips. My roses never really are impressive enough to get them in the end! Sorry to hear that the virus has knocked you out for such a long while but I'm glad you can get out when the weather holds and enjoy some time outside. Certainly from these photos I can see you have a gorgeous outside to enjoy! And thanks for your visits to my blog. I'd reply in person but can't to "no reply" but I do want you to know I value each beautiful comment you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. I love visiting your magical corner of Blogland.

      Delete
  6. I do wish it would change and stop raining

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to get days of wind and rain followed by a tease of sunshine and loveliness.

      Delete
  7. A lovely walk in autumnal bliss! Your island does have such interesting mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose we do have some interesting fungi.

      Delete
  8. I do so love a ramble through the Welsh countryside! It is gorgeous there, and a treat to accompany you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, it's hard to believe this was a year ago. So happy you joined in!

      Delete