Tuesday 26 November 2019

Remembering and Giving Thanks

Hello Friends!

I haven't made an entry for a while, for as I began this month with a post on remembering, so I am winding up the month with one of similar note.  November for me, this year particularly, has been a month of remembering my family.  It's crammed full of anniversaries, of births and deaths, so a month of mixed emotions.

It is over a year since I lost my beloved Mum, but finally this month I found the strength to think about starting to go through her many boxes of china and bits and bobs in the attic.  There's nothing of any particular value, but to me every precious object has meaning and value beyond the price of jewels and precious metals.  I will share some of my finds here with you, but before I do, I wish all my friends, followers and readers who celebrate

A Very Happy Thanksgiving

Enjoy your festivities celebrating with your families surrounding you as we all give thanks for family, friends, and the bounty provided to our tables.  Travel safely if you are on the road or in the air.

I will be remembering, fondly, many Thanksgiving Days spent in America, and on American bases across the world.  Some I was alone and my good neighbours invited me in to share {and learn about} this tradition, but for many more we opened the doors of our own home to the Single and Unaccompanied from the Barracks to escape the base for a few hours, sit down with friends and share a home cooked Thanksgiving dinner.

Remembering and Giving Thanks

So, a few weeks ago I intrepidly set foot in the attic for the first time in a couple of years. I found the first box and it was full of tiny balls of forty year old and older newspaper, yellowed with age and full of once newsworthy stories now long forgotten, each piece wrapped tightly around something that has not seen the light of day for over forty years.  As I carefully unwrapped each one, I became overwhelmed with the sudden realisation that the last hands to touch each of these trinkets were my dear Mum's.  Suddenly, each one became more precious, and I clung to each one, pulling it tight into my chest, near to my heart.  Tears of joy and sadness mingled and burned as they fell against my cheeks as I carefully unwrapped one precious treasure after another.

It's going to take a while, it's cold up in the attic this time of year, and I am in no rush, but I have found some fun things, and some that have made me wonder who owned them, which of my forebears bought them, and why.  Maybe they were gifts to celebrate a birthday or Christmas? Who knows now?  Questions to which I will never know the answers, but are good to ask and ponder.

Here are some of my finds

How many of you remember Hornimans Tea?  At first I thought Mum had absent mindedly packed away a quarter of tea, but no, she'd used it to protect a fragile, tiny piece of pretty china.  My Great Grandmother only used Hornimans and the precious leaves were kept in a tin on the mantel above the open coal fire to keep them dry.  A tea kettle was always on the side of the fire ready to make a brew at a moment's notice.



The stamp on the side of the pack is missing, and I know Mum kept them to surrender for gifts, a bit like Green Shield Stamps which I know many of you, like me, will remember, maybe not too fondly.  My memory is licking endless stamps to stick in the books which took forever to fill!

I love these two turkey plates by Johnson Bros, Barnyard King and Wild Turkey, both in near perfect condition and both will be used.  These must have belonged to my Grandmother.

Barnyard King

Wild Turkey

This banded butter dish is unmarked, but I think it dates from the 1950's or 60's.  As soon as I found it I fell in love, so I washed it and put it to use that afternoon with organic Welsh butter to fill it.  We cannot get the circular pats of butter here, but I am quite happy to cut my butter to fit.  It's lovely to see it in use again.



There are a plethora of saucers without cups.  I am so happy that Mum did not throw them out when the matching cups obviously broke as I love to repurpose, and I now have several very pretty drip trays for my tea infusers.  This one is my favourite and I would love to see the cup that matches.




She looks like she means business! I love her clothing and would like an outfit like that myself!


A tiny Aynsley china blue tit. This is from their Wild Bird series; I used to collect Aynsley Animal Kingdom, so this will join my small collection.  I looked them up on eBay and they now sell for less than a tenth of what I paid for them, but I don't mind, it makes them easier to keep, I bought them because I like them.  That's what matters.  Marie Kondo I am not but they bring me joy.


I love how you can see each brush stroke, and I wonder about the hands that carefully and skilfully painted this little dainty bird.



And finally, this mug which amazed me as I was unwrapping it around the time of Remembrance Sunday.  The emotion flooded in, for surely this was my Great Grandmother's.  Maybe bought for her by one of her sons who fought in the trenches?  She sent five sons off to two World Wars, and thankfully all five returned to her as safe and sound as they could after the horrors of war, but it affected Ma badly and she never got over it.

I have done a little quick research and this is a Royal Doulton Peace mug made to commemorate the end of the Great War.  Not that I would part with it, these are selling for next to nothing on eBay right now and I find that somewhat disquieting that they seem to have no value when you consider the lives that were laid down to bring peace across Europe.

I have cradled it in my hands, sat quietly and contemplated on it many times since I found it,

Remembering and Giving Thanks



 

Until next time
Deborah xo



12 comments:

  1. Deb, thank you for sharing your treasures that you have discovered that have been sitting for so long in the attic. They are all beautiful! I especially love the Peace Mug and what it represents to your family. So many young lives march off to war still. It breaks my heart to think we still have no peace. I'm forever hopeful for my grandchildren and their children that one day peace will come.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you, my friend. My heart is full of thankfulness for the friendships I have found online and with you through this amazing medium. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your precious family. My heart is full also with gratitude for all our friendships forged online. xoxo

      Delete
  2. What wonderful treasures you have found and lovely memories

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many precious links with family and treasures to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a moving post and thanks so much for sharing the treasures you have found. So many happy memories and so much to ponder too and very precious links to the past. I particularly like the little blue tit ornament you found and the Peace Mug but every single piece is wonderful and lovely for you to put them to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I intend to use as much of it as I can, such a shame not to be used, but some will find its way to the new vintage charity shop opening in the village next week.

      Delete
  5. It's your very own antiques roadshow. Like finding hidden treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could find an Olly the Owl, then I could retire. This lot wouldn't even fund a decent evening in a good restaurant!

      Delete
  6. Oh Deb, you can't begin to know how much I cherish every word of this post. I feel as though I was with you when you opened those boxes -- and I know what it is like to discover these treasures long forgotten. The emotions and memories they bring back or evoke. That mug -- I should have thought something so rare and beautiful and certainly historically significant would have fetched an online fortune. How sad, although like you, I could never part with it. The places are exquisite, as is your sweet bird. And I love the butter dish. How practical. And yes, there are things of value in that box. Not the mug or the dishes, but the heart and soul, the memories and just the knowing that these things -- and yes, they are just things -- were touched and loved by your mother, your grandmother and who knows whom else. They are gifts to you, reminders. And they are wonderful. I know you will have many more hours digging into your attic. I think they will be good ones.

    On another note, my highest snowman skiing score was 21,180. I have it posted above my desk! I would stay up till wee hours and those songs are stuck in my head. (Actually quite good orchestrations!) I hope the Cotswolds has another game so fun. (I still play the crunching game from the year before!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeanie, thank you for your kind and generous words, and yes the memories are bitter sweet, but mostly happy especially as most of it will find a new lease of life in my cottage. Oh, it would be good to find something valuable to sell so I could retire, but I will enjoy using the artefacts used by my ancestors in my own kitchen.

    My top score was over 28,000 and at that point I stopped, but wonder if we will see a new game this year or a revamped version? Maybe a shepherd herding his sheep?

    ReplyDelete