Friday 12 July 2024

Do You Spuddle?

Hello Friends

Do you Spuddle?  I recently came across this 17th century verb which amused me.  In a nutshell, it means to work feebly or ineffectively.  It can also be used to describe someone who is extremely busy but achieves nothing, or someone who is distracted or not fully awake.  This sounds familiar. I am most definitely a spuddler.

At the time of writing, it is approaching mid-July and I have had to put the heating on.  I snuggle under a quilt of an evening and have even contemplated a hot water bottle.  I am not alone in this as the declarations of dealing with the unseasonably chilly weather pop up all over my social media feeds.

We have a new Labour government and a new Prime Minister, Sir Keir Starmer.  All I can say is he and his new cabinet have hit the ground running.  I did not envy him his first few days in office as following on from six weeks of hard campaigning and a sleepless night as the Election results were declared, the following morning he had an audience with King Charles to become the 58th Prime Minister, followed by a whirlwind tour of the four home nations, appointed his new Cabinet and held the first of many cabinet meetings before being whisked off to Washington D.C. to the NATO Summit.  He returns to the UK only to sprint off to Germany to see the historic UEFA European Cup final between England and Spain on Sunday evening.  How much sleep is he getting?!

We also have a new Member of Parliament for this constituency.  One of many newly elected MP's, he looks very young and I wish him well in the hopes he serves this constituency to the best of his ability. It is one of the newly formed, re-boundaried constituencies.  

Of course, one wonders what Larry makes of all the comings and goings at Number 10.

The Summer of Sport continues.  I've lost track of it all.  Various tennis tournaments including Roland Garros, Bournemouth, and Wimbledon; the UEFA  {mens} Cup; UEFA {womens} Cup Qualifiers; Royal Ascot; the Tour de France; cricket,; rugby and more in the run up to the Paris Olympics in a couple of weeks. Phew! I'm exhausted just thinking about it all.

Good Luck England!

For those of you who follow India Rose Crawford and Frog, there is a new video coming out.  Here is the trailer Frog.  I hope the link works, and all I can say is we need more like Frog in our world today.  You can follow the adventures of this wee, gentle creature on Instagram and Facebook.  Well worth it!

These days, I am overwhelmed with lethargy and apathy.  I have only done two index cards now in just over a week.  



and as I uploaded those, so I discover Google has made changes to Blogger again.  Sigh.

by the way, the butterfly birthday card was very well liked by the recipient.

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well
Debbie


5 comments:

  1. Hi Deb! Google keeps changing things! I thought spuddle had to do with spuds - potatoes, but having read further, I am a spuddler. I have some days where I get some work done, and on others - nothing. Your ICADs are lovel. Take your time, we can only do what we can do. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny verb there, Deb! I must use it to describe myself this summer. The butterfly is stunning! Sounds like your weather is the complete opposite of here. Hot and humid beyond belief. Maybe that's why I'm a spuddler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's official...I am a spuddler. I have a few moments of activity, but nothing much gets done. Too hot to do much at all.
    I wish you would take some of my heat and humidity and give me some of your cool temps. I would love to feel something besides the constant heat. I am a puddle of sweat.

    I love the metallic sheen of the butterfly. It is gorgeous. Your other ICAD is very ethereal and simply lovely. I think they both are great. You may have only done two, but the quality of them are wonderful.

    Let's spuddle on, shall we? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The butterfly is lovely. We have just been rained off at the allotment again. Will it never stop? Our heating keeps coming on - it doesn't know that it is summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both of these ICAD'S you have shown.
    I can't believe it's the 19th of July (as I type this comment), the month seems to be flying by. We have a quiet weekend ahead which will be nice.
    Sending good wishes to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete