Saturday 21 October 2023

To Absent Friends: Celebration and Reflection

Hello Friends!

Today is a day of mixed emotions and time for reflection as I reach a life milestone. Not only is it my birthday, but it is THE BIG birthday upon which I start drawing what in my Grandmother's day we used to call the Old Age Pension. I am officially from today an OAP.  These days, it's more politically correct to refer to someone of a certain age as a Senior Citizen  or Older Person.  The other day, I was discussing all of this with a friend. We concluded that we had both felt the same almost all our lives, that drawing your state pension was something that happened to other people or to your grandparents as they got to the right age. Never imagining that we would be drawing our state pension ourselves one day, yet here we are. She has been drawing hers for a few months now.  Age is a number.  If my health was better I would not feel old, and probably still be working and as active as I ever was hiking the highways and byways, and still able to garden.  It was not to be.

I would be making the most of my All Wales Concessionary Travel Pass which I have had  for 6 years now.  It entitles me to free travel on all bus services in Wales.  I used to use it a lot, but have not used it at all during the Pandemic.  Of course, there are now other benefits too, to being of Pensionable Age, such as quiet shopping hours in stores, and special discounts in shops, cafes and at the hairdressers.  I look forward to those little treats at cheaper prices!

As I prepare to celebrate me and what will be a small, regular sum of money coming in, today is also a day for reflection for other reasons.

Firstly, I remember and honour my mother, for five years ago today I was sitting by my dear mother's bedside as she slowly slipped from this world. It is very hard to do that on any day, but it is even harder to do so on your birthday for there is a certain irony that the beautiful woman who gave me the gift of life was slowly slipping away on the anniversary of that day when she brought me into the world.  I send her my deepest love in Heaven in heartfelt gratitude for all she did for me.  She would not want me to be sad, I know, so I will be happy for her sake.

My Beautiful Mother

Secondly, It is the day I remember all my friends who have gone on before, some of whom saw their 60th birthday or their 65th. or drew their State Pension and benefits, their lives taken in their 50's.  I might not be in the best of health and I might be protesting at the labels I now must wear but they did not make it, their lives cut cruelly short long before they should have been.  


Plans for a trip to the beach with friends, to drink hot chocolate and eat cake sitting on the picnic tables overlooking the bay, are scuppered by the weather.  We will go again when it is not so wild, wet and windy. So while I shall sit quietly and celebrate by myself with a shop bought celebration cake and ice cream, and open the gifts that have arrived, I will also be remembering my school friends, particularly Carol, Susan, Raydene, and  sweet Elizabeth {who so tragically died age 11} gone before, and with especial love my dear mother.  Gone but not forgotten.


To Absent Friends!

Until next time
Stay safe, Stay well
Debbie xx


21 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!
    You have lots of people to remember with love today.

    (There are small benefits of getting a pension, for me it was the first time since 1980 that I have money of my own, in my own name to choose how it's used. In the past we were always saving for something - like paying off the mortgage.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, one's own money is a liberating thought.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday, and sorry the weather isn't allowing you to have cocoa and cake on the beach.

    How sad your mum died on your birthday - such a poignant reminder each year.

    I remember the freedom of getting my pension too - although with the huge profiteering in food prices and commodities, it doesn't go far these days.

    Enjoy that cake and icecream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We may go today, it's calmer and dry, or wiat for an "unseasonably warmer" day.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Debbie and sorry beach picnic scuppered due to the weather but enjoy your presents and cards and memories of a life full of love.
    I must admit hating reaching 60 let alone 70 as mentally you feel no different to your 25 year old self! but when you eventually get the pension there is no doubt it does come in useful.
    Take care today Sending love Caroline XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Agree, mentally no different, if only we knew at 25 what we know now!

      Delete
  4. Belated happy birthday wishes, Deb! Sending along special hugs as well! Cake and ice cream will be good any day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday. We've been pensionable age now for more years than I care to think about and find it hard to believe. A young guy on the allotment next to ours never comes to his plot and certainly has never done any digging. He acts older than us already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I used to say, at age 60, I could run circles around people half my age but then I developed Parkinson's kind of puts the dampener on things.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday, dear one! Your post is beautiful as you are. Our grandson Samuel once referred to us as elderly. Now that was a shocker, but it is the truth! Enjoy that wonderful cake and ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. oh dear. I bet Samuel was popular that day. You two are more like a pair of spring chickens.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday, dear Deb! I would sing for you if I were nearer. Festive events are often connected with sadness, and thoughts of those who are no longer with us. But as long as they are in our hearts, they are still there. I have had my pension for many years now, not a lot, but I maage to live from it! I wish you better health in the time to come. Enjoy your ice and cake! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it's better to remember our loved ones. with fondness and happy memories than to dwell on the sadness of missing them..

      Delete
  8. Happiest of birthdays, Deb. I'm delighted you'll get an OAP (that always helps) and your plans sound lovely, even if delayed a bit. All the more fun to anticipate. I can see why it is bittersweet day, with the loss of your mom. I remember your saying you were very close. I know you hold her close to your heart. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. Yes, as everyone says, the extra pennies will come in handy, especially with the crazy cost of living as it is now. I might push the boat out and turn the heating up half a degree.

      Delete
  9. Happy belated birthday wishes. I achieve that status next year! Where is the time going. We call the pension the dress allowance. Sounds much nicerx Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it does sound better. I might call it the chocolate allowance.

      Delete
  10. Happy Belated Birthday, Deb. I sure hope you can get that day out to celebrate very soon. It sounds like such a nice way to celebrate.

    It is very hard to lose a loved one, and when it's a parent...the pain is magnified. And it simply does not go away. Hold tight to your wonderful memories of both your beloved Mum and your Precious Daddy. I love to see the photos of you growing up with them. It looks like such a perfect time.
    Love and hugs,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. At the moment, the weather doesn't look like it's going to improve.enough to go and sit outside. Never mind sit outside at the beach where it's very exposed and the wind is just whipping straight in off the Atlantic. Never mind, the thought was there.

      Delete
  11. Happy belated birthday wishes.
    Not an easy day for you, but you have some wonderful memories.
    God bless.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete