Monday 20 February 2023

Well Hello!

 Hello friends!

I hope you are all keeping well. Winter seems to have been longer than usual this year. I think there must have been at least 273 days in January. Yet already the year seems to be flying by as we have just a week or so left in February and tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday which can mean only one thing: pancake day! How do you eat yours? My favourites are to make large crepes lightly spread with a little butter, sprinkled with a little sugar, and drenched in either lemon or orange juice.

will you be giving up anything for Lent? I am contemplating giving up chocolate which will be a huge sacrifice for me as it is my one comfort.  I tried Veganuary in the hopes that giving up cheese I would lose weight but I actually gained 4 pounds it was not meant to be that way!

Since I last wrote here all the way back in December, before Christmas, I have had a very nasty arthritis flare up. For those of you who suffer from arthritis I don't have to tell you how debilitating this is for me. I am in constant pain and cannot get comfortable in any chair or bed in the house.

Consequently almost all my activity has been curtailed, even if the weather has been kind enough to get out for walking I am barely able to put one foot in front of the other at the moment. To compound matters, two days ago I had a nasty little fall. I have no idea how it happened one minute I was standing upright the next minute I was hugging the tarmac. Thankfully no damage done a couple of tiny cuts, a grazed knee and a very bruised ego. But it just goes to show how easy you can fall over nothing more than thin air.

Parkinson's disease means that it is very difficult to hold books, and a short while ago a very kind friend sent me this. It is a wooden book stand and I can put my tablet on it with the kindle app and I'm therefore able to read without having the book shaking in my hands all the time. It has transformed my reading and I am deeply grateful to her for sending such a thoughtful gift.



Thankfully I am still able to paint, so in December of last year I signed up to the Anna Mason online art school. I have access to all sorts of instruction connected to watercolour painting and pencil drawing and all for less than the cost of a decent bar of chocolate a week. I didn't start the courses straight away, however I have started them recently and this is my first attempt. I guess you could say it is my first official watercolour painting, having used watercolour paints but never in the style of watercolour painting always used as part of my mixed media art. it is a song thrush egg, and although I have had to improvise with the colours a little, I'm very pleased with the overall results.

I have tried doing the daffodil but I am not so happy with this one the first one is all wrong. I know you will all disagree with me but trust me on this it is very wrong. I do not have the right size brushes or the correct coloured paints consequently it is turned out poorly.

This is my second attempt at it. Again having the wrong colours and wrong sized brushes is not helping even though I'm taking a different approach. As soon as I can afford the outlay for the new brushes and paints I will give it a third go.

Another dear friend sent me an Amazon gift voucher, so I treated myself to a tin of Derwent Chromaflow pencils. So I've been playing with those as well. Here's the first portrait I did using them.


And here's a little field mouse I drew using the new Chromaflow


Using mixed media, I did a couple of mandalas.



And finally a little mixed media painting of cone flowers just for fun.


my friends, as I said I hope you are keeping well this winter.

Until next time

Stay safe stay well stay warm

Debbie xo


15 comments:

  1. I love the little mouse one - you work wonders considering your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see a post from you but sorry to hear about the Arthritis flare up.
    Your paintings are all beautiful, even the ones you are not happy with but especially the mouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the pain. That egg painting is quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO good to see you back and posting again Deb, but sorry to hear about the Arthritis - not a good thing to have in combination with the Parkinsons.

    Lovely art work - Daffodils aren't easy to capture as they are a little fragile and paper-like in the petals. The Chromaflow pencils give good results - that harvest mouse is so cute. Enjoy your course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I agree the combination of the two isn't fun at all. As for my course, I'm enjoying it very much indeed. There's so many classes and tutorials to pick from. And the international group is also supportive.

      Delete
  5. P.S. The egg looks like an illustration from my Observer's Book of Birds' Eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. What a wonderful compliment.

      Delete
  6. It is great to see you blogging again Debbie but so sorry about the arthritis flare up and the fall.

    The wooden book stand is a really lovely thoughtful present.

    The paintings are all great and I really love the bird's egg and the little harvest mouse. I thought your daffodil was really good - believe me I tried to draw one once they are very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Drawing just take an awful lot of practise. There are Ways and Means around it, though. For example. You can always make a tracing. Or another thing is to make a grid over your composition and carefully copy into another grid over your paper.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Deb, so good to see you posting again. I miss you! Very happy you are able to read more easily now -- we get by with a little help from our friends, as the Fab Four put it. Also very happy that you can keep on painting, because you have such a talent, and I know it brings you joy. Be well, my friend, and remember how very much you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so good to see your post. I loved all your holiday posts with the advent calendar and then nothing! So, yay. But awfully sorry about your fall. I know you are being careful -- but please be careful! What a relief that you can still do your art and I'm impressed with your first watercolor painting techniques. I know -- we are our own worst critics and we always see what we want to improve but I think you'll nail this as beautifully as you do your other art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your second daffodil looks so delicate and I think you nailed the base of the flower so well. I can only imagine how well you would do with the right brushes and other tools. Your portrait is very pretty. So sorry for your arthritis flare-up and fall. I pray for you to be pain free.

    Love and hugs~

    ReplyDelete