Sunday 31 May 2020

Oriental Poppies

Hello Friends!

Anyone who knows me knows that I love poppies of all kinds and they bring me much happiness and joy.  Right now, the blousiest, most beautiful Papaver Orientalis, or Oriental poppies, are beginning to bloom in my garden.  Not only do they bring a fabulous splash of bold colour where they bloom, there's the added bonus that the bees love them too.

This was my first ever Oriental, Coral Sea.  Last Autumn, I thought I may have lost it as a careless handyman and his {very unable} assistant lifted a baby boulder {which took two to manage} and instead of putting it to one side, or on the wall, recklessly dumped it in the border, smack bang on top of my Coral Sea!  I did not discover this until after they'd left and the damage was done.

How could they do this?  It is far too big and heavy a stone for me to even think of moving, even with the most careful application of the laws of physics {I can hear some of you now, hollering "Deb, don't even think about it!!!}

However, a few weeks ago, I saw the familiar leaves poking around the stone.  She'd survived and is spreading out and around the offending rock.  Last week, a few tentative buds appeared, and today she is starting to dance in all her ballerina glory!




Thrilled with the beauty of this poppy in the garden, just after the marriage of William and Catherine, I bought two Royal Wedding  poppies.  Only one plant was in flower, one was in tight bud, and I was smitten by the stunning contrast of a navy centre against the pure white petals.



Peek a Boo! Do you see the bug?



However, when the second one opened, it was not the same colour at all, but a delightful shade of mauve.  I was not disappointed at all, but have no idea what this one is called.  It's very, very pretty indeed.


So, I had three beauties in my garden, bringing lots of pleasure, although they are short lived.  I had hoped to gather and sow seed, but was told Orientals do not propagate from seed, but on runners and root cuttings.  Then this happened:


Two years after I planted the Royal Wedding, a magnificent, deep orangey pink poppy opened, and I have no idea where it came from, or how, but I would say it's self seeded, contradicting what I had been told.




If anyone knows anything how this might have happened, I will be interested to hear from you.  It looks more coral than Coral Sea!

The only down side is the blooms only last for about five days, but when a single plant is so full of buds that after twenty seven you tend to lose count, my only wish is that they would all open together in one colossal and magical display.  Just once, then they can return to normal, but wouldn't that be something to see?

Until next time
Stay safe, stay well,
Deborah xoxo


p.s. I apologise for the differences in text, I have tried the new blogger which is being forced upon us again, and I definitely do not like it.  I wonder how many of us will lose swathes of followers as we did last time?

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and the poppies are just gorgeous. I love the different colours. So glad the pink ballerina type one survived the boulder dropping on it! We have some yellow poppies here and sometimes a few red ones appear in the wild flower area. I did buy one of the ladybird varieties but I haven't seen the leaves emerging this year. You certainly have a wonderful variety of species and colours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Such easy subjects, I could be out all day snapping away. Are the yellow ones Californian or Welsh, do you know? I had all sorts once, wild field, opium, and many more. All gone now. Wonder if I can restart from seed again, as I love them so much.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, Deb, I am in love with your lovely poppies! Great Britain is surely the poppy capital of the world. The beautiful graceful petals are so ethereal! They certainly are delightful. Surely the fairies have played a role in protecting them from the mighty boulder. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! I know you love my poppies too. They take on so many forms, and are delicate and robust in the extremes, aren't they? More coming out, but sadly their arch enemy, rain, is forecast. Deb xoxo

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love seeing your wonderful poppies. I remember having Shirley Poppies some years ago and I think I even had the red Oriental Poppies with the black center. Seeing your photos makes me want to have some again. Your blog is especially enjoyable to me because you combine your photos with such interesting writing about your garden, the ups and downs that happen and of course a lot of other interesting vignettes from your daily life. I appreciate you sharing all of it with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. If I make people happy with my blog, then that makes me happy. It's all I hope for.

      Delete
  4. What lovely colours- all so different.
    Mine are all the same - pale purple - but perhaps one day they will change like yours did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I lost my purple ones, which were opium ones, if I remember correctly.

      Delete
  5. When we moved here 39 years ago there were a few poppies blooming. The next year they were nowhere to be seen and have never reappeared. I'm thinking it was the rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drat those rabbits! I guess they have to eat something.

      Delete
  6. What gorgeous photos. You do such a wonderful job. My Mom's poppies got frosted, no poppies this year. It's so sad to not see them. I know they will come back next year. The leaves are starting to grow up again. I hope your rain holds off until the poppies are done blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear friend. I am sorry to hear about your poppies, but if there are leaves, and if the seed survived then there is hope! D xoxo

      Delete
  7. These are stunning and I love the story. Oh, you must have been heartbroken but it looks as thought Ms. Poppy has given you a great gift. Your photos are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. It just goes to show how resilient nature is.

      Delete